• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bald Eagle DGC Expansion

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I have been dreaming about expanding to 18 holes pretty much as soon as I "completed" the first 9, all of my events have included various temp holes that have been expanding into areas of camp that have never been utilized before. Last year, during the heat of the summer, I would dream about spending the winter months carving out new holes through the woods.

Then I broke my foot, the possibility of expanding any time soon was obliterated in a single moment. Bound to the couch all winter I studied the property boundaries and imagined the layouts I could create through the handful of acres of trees back there. But it was all just a pipe dream until now.

This is the second year in a row that the Red Wing Shoe Company has taken time at the end of their annual international sales meeting to volunteer time and equipment to camp. They will show up in the middle of June with 3 skid loaders (possible various attachments) several chain saws, string trimmers, and 50 volunteers.

Last year the "project" was headed by my supervisor, they cleared underbrush/invasives from the area surrounding the ropes course, parking lot, climbing wall, and sledding hill. It all looks pretty nice, but really did nothing to add to the experience of camp and only gives me more to mow.

This year the project has been turned over to me, and it didn't take me much convincing to approve the disc golf expansion. Today I met with the people in charge, and they described to me exactly what they will be able to provide and what they will be expecting when they arrive around 7:30 in the morning.

I have exactly one month to lay out the holes with tape and spray paint and get ready to have 50 people tear through the woods.

This rough map shows the back 9 I have laid out (subject to change). This project focuses on holes 12-15. Holes 10,11, and 16-18 are all clear from previous projects (like the buck thorn clearing last year).

attachment.php

I have yet to procure baskets for the expansion, but the good news is that if the company is going to donate the time and effort, they are going to want to see a final result before long - whether that means they are able to donate funds for baskets, or camp will invest in baskets to show them that their labor is truly being utilized. They will want to keep coming back to work in projects with me if we can show what their efforts are producing - even this year they were like "Wow, look how nice and grassy that area looks that we worked on last year"

Attachments

• back9map.jpg
    back9map.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 85
Many of the holes for the "tournament course" will not be usable during summer camp. Holes 10-11 and 15-18 will not really be usable during summer. so I've been brainstorming what to do with the extra baskets. I imagine 4 loops of varying difficulty.

The "novice loop" will be located in main camp (the area surrounding the buildings) would be able to be used by campers during free time or cabin activities. Holes would be 50 or 60' long, basically a putting course for myself.

The Beginner loop (red tees) is current holes 1-3 and 9, with holes around 100 feet.

The Intermediate loop (red tees) would be current holes 4-8, with holes 150-280'.

The advanced loop would be proposed holes 12-15, with holes 250-400'.

The tournament layout would be the 18 hole layout mapped out above, with the 3 tee color options - Red tees are 100-300', Green tees 150-350', and Blue tees are nearly all over 300' with some approaching 500'.

Spent the day laying out fairways with flagging tape. 2 bobcats got delivered with attachments. All ready for volunteers to show up on Monday and tear the woods apart!!

Ever wonder what 50 volunteers look like?

This video shows the variety of projects we got done on Monday. It starts with folks painting the lodge, then painting the rec hall and clearing brush from around the rec hall. Then you see a few people painting a canoe trailer. Then we head into the woods, the first view is of the clearing of future hole 15, then you see the work being done from hole 12 from the future basket I make the walk towards the tee with a man operating a brush cutter and the skid loader. From there we see the work being done below the new zip lines and a redesign of hole 9.

Sweet Martin! I could use 50 people to help me finish too :)
Ill even settle for one person just to help maintain right now

Had about 10 volunteers out from the sand mine today (the decrease in oil production in the bakken oil fields, means less demand for sand, means the sand mine workers are forced to volunteer more time to local community needs). Only two of them wanted to paint, the rest wanted to tear apart the woods. 8 people, 1 bobcat, 5 chainsaws, and a chevy s10 were able to crank out all of hole 13 and put a decent dent into hole 14. They will be back in the morning for an additional 10 hours. My goal of having 18 holes by the end of summer seemed like a huge hill to climb, and here I am, looking at "finishing" by the end of June.

10 volunteers and a skid loader - in this video I show the wood pile we've created over the past couple weeks, then we walk from hole 12 basket down the path to hole 13 tee, then up the fairway to where the skid loader is working on leveling out the fairway.

And I believe I've just secured a donation of 9 baskets - homemade and used baskets, but are of decent quality and will do the trick for now.

Baskets ready to install, now I just have to figure out exactly where I want them...

attachment.php

Hole 12 Tee:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 11720581_473176549522959_1394867653_n.jpg
    11720581_473176549522959_1394867653_n.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 12tee.jpg
    12tee.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 12tee2.jpg