• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Baseline Plastic Lovers Let Me Hear You

When I first started playing it was all star, esp, champ, z... fast over stable drivers. Then I met Mark Ellis and some of his crew, somehow got some time with Jay and Des Reading, and I started buying into the old school game.

I disced down to a few putter molds, rocs and comets. I play some fairly wooded courses and have no idea why people complain about dx wearing in to fast. That is the sweet spot.

I also now buy the idea of modern/old school molds and plastic. I don't think rocs are great in anything but DX and KC, Buzzz lives for Z. Some old molds don't translate to new plastic and vice versa.

I'll probably start throwing premium stuff again one day.

A majority of courses I play are in the woods. I love the feel & glide of baseline plastic. A majority of my mids & all of my putters are baseline. There's no way I will ever bag a baseline driver though. I've been trying out two DX Roc3s over the last two weeks. In the 5 rounds they've been in my bag, one of them is already flippy. :\ I wish you luck in your baseline adventures. It's an approach to building a bag that I've never seen any tournament player take. Even Masters carry some premium plastic discs in their bags.

From the DX Roc3's that I threw, they beat in much faster than your standard Rocs. I think it has something to do with the profile being a little faster and the wing being a little sharper, making dinks and scapes on it more effective at changing the flight of it.

I love me some DX plastic. I have a Teebird, Leopard, Roc3 and an XD in my bag for a long time (Roc3 is newest addition) that are just awesome for me. I also use baseline for my go to putter proD soft magnet. Love it!

I've said it before and I'll say it again... a good DX Teebird might be the best mold/plastic combination in the history of the game.

I have 10xKC, 11xKC, 11xCAL's, CE's and all of the 'boutique' Teebirds. None of them can replace that $8 disc.

I LOVE baseline plastic for Mids and Putters but thats were i draw the line.. usually. Years ago i would bag a few DX Teebirds that were a ton of fun but other than that. But for me nothing can beat a nice, grippy baseline Mid cycle.

I use exclusively baseline putters and mostly baseline mids. I've done that for years, and it isn't going to change anytime soon.

I will say on the "baselines wear too fast" note: the better I get, the less i hit stuff, the less it wears. That makes sense. But still, a couple good smacks or cuts, its a completely different disc. It works entirely against itself. I understand baseline putters, but focusing mainly on drivers thats a whole different situation. Why would I want to repeatedly replace the same disc and continuously shift my throw to accomodate an everchanging object, when i could get it once and let it wear in slowly and just not loose it? I mean, if you had a more reliable/predictable disc wouldnt you loose it less to begin with? All grip preferences aside, if everytime you throw a disc it might come back completely different, how could that possibly work to your advantage? It cant be monetary, because you spend more the more you loose. Additionally, once you've got people saying "it makes it ok to loose more of them because ive got a hole stack" it openly becomes people searching for a justification of their accidental littering. Then logically it becomes intentional. It seems like we should not be "ok" with loosing the disc to begin with, and not devaluing it by getting a stack of cheap ones. By all means, in the moment, everyone should throw what they want. But in the long run, it doesnt seem logical.

Last edited:
you hit the nail on the head!.

baseline SUCKS!

the pros all bag baseline to fool the masses into buying garbage plastic... it's all part of innova's master plan. Very few see this false flag for what it is. GARBAGE INCOSISTANT HOAXER PLASTIC!

make sure you never pick up any kc/dx/mcpro rocs, aviars, or cobras because they all suck, TOTALLY unusable after the first throw....pro rhynos too .. those REALLY suck.

:wall:

my nearest baseline disc would be my mace hard. it sounds like wood when you hit it. not enough base plastic going around for sure. don't get me wrong I love the slick fast modern plastics but nothing grips as good as base. period.

off the top of my head I yearn for base world's, felons, and enforcers

Certain baselines work, some dont. I have two dx Aviars for putting, which I dont feel any need to change, and one R Pro Aviar for approaches.

Got two dx Rocs, and I would never want to throw a Roc in any other plastic, they dont beat in as quick as other dx's imo. My beat in one is laser straight, and my new one still has a little more fade.

And I will be the odd one out and say I dislike dx Teebirds. They're great for open shots, but man one smack to a tree and they seem to be flippy bastards for me. But I love love LOVE dx Eagles, bag three of em. They seem to have a lot more fade than dx Teebirds off the bat, but my really beat in one seems to fly dead straight with minor turn, similar to a nearly fresh dx Teebird.

Also love my two dx Leopards for those dogleg right rhbh, mid-upper 200' holes.

I started out with base line mids, fairways and putters, then switched to all premium plastic (except for my putting putter) but over the last year have pretty much traded all of my premium mids and putters away. Went through the whole Roc3 hoopla and am now back to KC and DX Rocs and I prefer DX and R-Pro Rhyno's too. I know Discrafts base stinks, but I love D-Drones.

DX Teebirds are fun, but don't really hold up, they make sweet rollers though when beat. Now DX Eagles and Gazelle's on the other hand are damn nice discs to cycle. I don't use anything over a speed 7 in DX, just isn't worth it, I have a few a use for winter play but that's only because I don't care if I loose them.

For control, nothing beats the feel of a seasoned dx disc across so many weather conditions.

Last edited:
you hit the nail on the head!.

baseline SUCKS!

the pros all bag baseline to fool the masses into buying garbage plastic... it's all part of innova's master plan. Very few see this false flag for what it is. GARBAGE INCOSISTANT HOAXER PLASTIC!

make sure you never pick up any kc/dx/mcpro rocs, aviars, or cobras because they all suck, TOTALLY unusable after the first throw....pro rhynos too .. those REALLY suck.

:wall:

I didnt mean to say anything sucks. I tried to be clear on that. I have baseline stuff too. If you go back to my post you'll see i was refering to "mainly drivers", with "grip preference aside" and was sticking with logical flow and reason... not saying anything "sucks". In fact,i didnt use the word sucks at all. Sorry if you misread that.

Last edited:
Baseline plastic is gross. The only reason it's still made is so hippy thirty year vets don't storm the castle and burn down the plant.

I didnt mean to say anything sucks. I tried to be clear on that. I have baseline stuff too. If you go back to my post you'll see i was refering to "mainly drivers", with "grip preference aside" and was sticking with logical flow and reason... not saying anything "sucks". In fact,i didnt use the word sucks at all. Sorry if you misread that.

Perhaps sarcasm detection is not your forte.

I too like many baseline plastics. But Inova DX ain't what is used to be. I go through a lot of DX Aeros, so I keep a lot in stock. The last couple of batches pretty well sucked. They aren't nearly as dense and hard as my older stuff.

Now, as for Millennium plastic, that's the best I've thrown. It's the best balance of grip, flight and durability.

Perhaps sarcasm detection is not your forte.

Ahhhh... perhaps! :) Also, someone mentioned Discrafts baseline being worse than others. Its possible since im more familiar with that than other brands i would have a less rounded opinion. Besides, all this coming from a guy (myself) who cant even throw far enough yet to often loose a disc in the first place! :)

Last edited:
I was in walmart the other day (work related, I don't usually go there by choice unless I'm camping in the parking lot...) the dx teebirds felt real nice, way better than most dx I've been seeing lately, I almost grabbed the 3 they had out, but I refrained..

I was in walmart the other day (work related, I don't usually go there by choice unless I'm camping in the parking lot...) the dx teebirds felt real nice, way better than most dx I've been seeing lately, I almost grabbed the 3 they had out, but I refrained..

Wait, what now? Your wal-marts carry golf discs? Omg ive gotta get out of this place. :(

Yes. There definitely seems to be a new blend of DX that is getting out there right now and its downright amazing.

it seems like DX Thunderbirds have only been made in this newer blend so they are a great way to get a feel for it.

Latest posts