• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket Design

QuinnAA199

Par Member
What are some ideas to improve the basket design? For instance: The nipples on top of the basket. I couldn't tell you how many time Ive hit those and it gouges my putter and spits it str8 back. That hook is unnecessary and should be smooth all the way around the top of basket for better hop into chains! We all want lower scores and that would play a small part. What do you think about the hooks and any other ideas?

Changing the basket to lower scores just seems kind of pointless. It's like shortening every hole by 20 feet to lower scores. The part about gouging discs is something to work on, though. I wish every heavily wooded course would powder coat their baskets yellow or another bright color.

basket

First off this game needs every good change possibe to make it better all around and for it to grow bigger and bigger.

Not nessisarly changing it to lower scores but to make the game better. Those nipples are completely useless. Just lazyness. Tell me a basket wouldnt be better with it welded underneath so it had a nice smoothness around it.

And its nothing like moving everything up 20 feet. Its a simple fix. For what we pay for baskets $200 300+ it should have a plastic magnet to it for pete sake.

Have you ever played on a basket without nubs? A putt that skims the top of the lower basket portion skips like crazy, where on a numbed basket it would stop near the pin.

I could be wrong, but I think he's talking about the nubs on the top ring that the outer chains hang off of. Maybe lower your putts. ;)

Trust me, you want a jagged, crappy, sandpaper basket to grab your errant putts. That way they are only drop-ins and not 25 foot come-backers. Nubs are good.

I guess the nubs aren't the end of the world. I was just mad cause 4 count them 4 did that to me yesterday. Its not the end of the world. I yes the nubs do stop off target putts. I use a money putter and pro rhyno

The Arroyo Vortex basket, IMO, is the perfect example of what a basket should be like. The webbed chains on the inside make spit throughs almost impossible. Also, the basket is very durable and shiny. I find Chainstars and Machs to be the worse in the woods, I can never find them off the tee. They should all either have the yellow band or be powder coated like one post said.

Those nipples are completely useless. Just lazyness. Tell me a basket wouldnt be better with it welded underneath so it had a nice smoothness around it.

Like state before, nipples help "skip off" putts big time. I play a course with nub-less baskets quite often. If your put doesn't hit metal besides the rim, the disc rides the rim and flies 20 feet past the basket.

Another thing to consider is the overall strength of the basket. Those numbs add additional weld contact points with the top rim of the basket. At the old course I play, the welds have been broken due to vandalism and/or age. So there are actually chunks of the top ring missing.

Don't hate on nipples. Nipples are your friend.

Tomahawk Basket's on our homemade course

picture.php

How about something like this?

Specs are the same as pdga guidelines except for the bottom ring of the chains in this prototype is 8" unlike 3"-6" standard on most baskets. With a quality chain (this one is zinc plated but I prefer galvinized chain), and the wider ring, these baskets literally pull the disc in like a tractor-beam. OH and underhand throws/shots can also be used and they stick in the basket as well.

Warning, if you miss high and hit the top of the basket, you will be punished accordingly with a deflection upwards, sending your disc to a tougher lie. Hitting low is not as bad since it will knock her down flat.

I'm testing out the 3" bottom ring this spring to see how much difference it makes in catchability. Overall fun to putt and you get a couple laughs on your missed putts.

If you are looking for an innovative new basket design, check out what we have done at Arroyo Disc Sports with the Vortex Basket. Our new patent pending chain design has eliminated those pesky spit outs and bounce backs. We have also put a lot of careful thought in getting rid of all the sharp and unnecessary edges on the basket that take chunks out of your discs.

Take a look at Will Schusterick, Nikko Locastro, Paige Peirce and others banging some putts on our prototype while warming up for the Final 9 at the 2011 Pro Worlds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8we5chd-Ys

For more info check out Arroyodiscsports.com

Also don't forget to like us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arroyo-Disc-Sports/117880968276400

Latest posts