• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket Heights?

LeewayeDiscGolf

Double Eagle Member
Is there a set legal height for baskets? I've noticed huge changes in heights from course to course. I know hanging baskets are different, but I'm talking about in-ground baskets. What's your ideal height? This thread is for all basket height related posts.

there is a course around the corner from the house that has a pin so low that the bottom of the basket sits on the ground...you wouldn't believe the missed approaches too, everyone thinks its easy.

there is a course around the corner from the house that has a pin so low that the bottom of the basket sits on the ground...you wouldn't believe the missed approaches too, everyone thinks its easy.

The Collegiate National Championships were held on a course that had baskets in the ground, atop 3 oil drums, and hanging like a noose. It was an official PDGA event, and there weren't any complaints as far as I know. I read the PDGA article above and it seems to allow a lot of grandfathering, so I wonder if we both played on baskets that simply pre-date these regulation. And if not, I wonder if it's just a guideline and not really inforced? :confused:

Some courses near me have really low baskets,

Hole 2's basket at Trinity Links is mayybe a foot off the ground,

but I think the story is it "sank". idk, I just played a sanctioned event there today, and nobody whined about it. It is veryy different to putt on though.

So I saw standards for the fabrication of PDGA approved baskets. I didn't see "installation" standards, though. Did I just miss them? Or is this what allows for higher and lower than normal basket placements? Nice thread topic.

I agree, and that's a good catch. Manufacturing standards are there, but I'm not sure I saw installation guidelines either. I just did a search for "height" to get to the basket section, though, so I may have missed something.

That's the answer jim and psu. The pdga has standards for manufacture, but nothing about how they have to be installed. I personally think a few baskets on a course at non-standard heights makes for some fun challenges, but it gets gimmicky if it's overused.

Here is the installation spec diagram from Innova (about as defacto as it gets...). DGAs is pretty much the same.
I have seen a lot of variance also in basket installation (intentional or not), but, like Mashnut said...if overused it gets gimmicky.

dcspecs.png

They may give specs for installation, but that's not the same as a guideline from the pdga about how it has to be installed to be legal for sanctioned tournaments.

They may give specs for installation, but that's not the same as a guideline from the pdga about how it has to be installed to be legal for sanctioned tournaments.
Exactly...That's what the basket manufacturers consider the optimum mounting specifications, but, as you stated the PDGA has no specifications on mounting the target, just the specifications for the "championship target design". baskets could be buried...hanging -or- anything in between ???

Seems way to wide open for interpretation to me. If the PDGA went to all of the trouble to layout a very stringent set of "championship target design specs" it doesn't make much sense to leave the installation of that target so wide open to "interpretation" ???

Plus - I keep seeing a lot of "guidelines" rather than hard and fast rules. To me I see them saying this is our recommendation, but in the end you can do it however you want. That was my complaint with Circle C in Austin, but I had a few buddies tell me that I was wrong to think there should be a standard height and that the course installers could do whatever they wanted.

I know the distance from the basket rim to ground has to be consistent in champion play.

Like at usdgc they have elevated baskets but they have 2 tiers of landscaping built up to make them legal.

we have a high basket around here where the rim sits at right about 6 foot. not legal for championship level tourneys but it turns 20 footers into tough putts.

There's one course around here, it's a 9 hole and built on a sledding hill, so the baskets are close to the ground. During the winter they put stacks of hay under the baskets. The baskets are easy to avoid while sledding.

Latest posts