• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket or Tone pole

allow me to be next tard to say, well you know with a basket there is no question. NS
i dont mind tones. they are usually a smaller target and i like having to zone in on a smaller target, its only going to help me in the long run.
one of the first aces i got to witness was on a homemade course, in which menacewarf bombed a drive up 20ft of elevation 350ft and smashed our 5gal bucket tone. you could see it, hear it and it also left a nice scuff on the bucket.
while baskets are the future, ill never overlook playing a tone course over baskets, if all other course conditions are equal.

I love the idea of 5 gallon buckets on the pole! This makes me want to make a few extra holes at the home course incorporating these "bucket baskets."

I'm not a fan of one uniform target as the rule across every course in the world. I'm a course bagger and when I find a new course that has something unique on it including targets it makes the game more fun and challenging. I've played baskets (many kinds including homemade) and hula hoops, tone poles, trees, rocks, farming equipment, rocks, holes in the ground and many others. A course like Lake Stevens DGC just wouldn't be as fun or challenging with "real" baskets; the unique baskets made by Dr. Fred has kept me coming back to that course over the years. Here is an example of the many unique baskets:

45a05158.jpg

That's the crappiest homemade basket I've ever seen!

^^^ is this sarcasm? ^^^
if not, these are PDGA approved baskets, just so you know

That's the crappiest homemade basket I've ever seen!

Don't knock it till you try it. I've played that course twice, the first time solo and the second with some locals I ran into. (thanks drkstr!). The course was hella fun when you knew which side of the basket you needed to be on for a good look at a putt, similar to real golf and wanting to be on the low side of the hole.

allow me to be next tard to say, well you know with a basket there is no question. NS
i dont mind tones. they are usually a smaller target and i like having to zone in on a smaller target, its only going to help me in the long run.
one of the first aces i got to witness was on a homemade course, in which menacewarf bombed a drive up 20ft of elevation 350ft and smashed our 5gal bucket tone. you could see it, hear it and it also left a nice scuff on the bucket.
while baskets are the future, ill never overlook playing a tone course over baskets, if all other course conditions are equal.

Thanks for the flashback. My most impressive ace so far.

And Nolan. You usually make me laugh but that comment is just kinda dumb. The fact that people say "bang the chains" is not an argument. All of you who haven't or don't need to throw on tones, don't worry about it. Just forget tones exist if you think they are stupid and those that enjoy playing tone courses will continue to.

Thanks for the flashback. My most impressive ace so far.

And Nolan. You usually make me laugh but that comment is just kinda dumb. The fact that people say "bang the chains" is not an argument. All of you who haven't or don't need to throw on tones, don't worry about it. Just forget tones exist if you think they are stupid and those that enjoy playing tone courses will continue to.

:hfive: Agreed! If you ever make it out here to the West Coast, maybe I'll have to show you around some of the secret / unlisted / object courses around here.

If I get the chance soon, I'll try to record a video of the really nice tones that we have around here. I think that if people played on them, they would enjoy it. But some people will just never know.

The way I see it, if it's a perfect putt, it will go in a basket. As far as inconsistencies between baskets and crappy baskets, you just have to adapt your putt for the basket in front of you. If you putt lasers on a hyzer and the basket has only one row of chains then putt softer for that basket. Also there is a course I play all the time that has crappy baskets on the first 6 holes, 5 of which are deuce holes, and the tougher baskets make you really earn the deuce so I honestly don't mind them be so crappy. I have never played tone poles, but I imagine it would make it a lot harder and if it was the only option then oh well, at least it's a course. Plus variety is good.

Disc golf is a self officiated sport so judging tone pole hits is more in line with our basic approach to rules than baskets. We don't have any data but it wouldn't surprise me that players have more complaints about putts "being robbed" due to bouncebacks and cut-thrus than they would about "being robbed" on the group missing a tone pole hit. After all, many of us play 51 for money regularly where you pay out when judging basket hits from the tee versus near the target with tone poles.

ball golf has been around for hundreds of years and golfers still complain daily about putts rimming out. would ball golf consider a tone cup? no obviously not. i've been playing disc golf now for over 20 years, have played hundreds of courses over 8 different countries in every type of target or object known to man. trees, 5 gallon buckets, crab pots, inner tubes with chicken wire and tone poles. i just went to singapore recently to support their only disc golf course, one which only has pvc pipes with tape markings.

i have yet to meet a person who feels like they've really holed out when picking their disc up off the ground. i don't think there is anything "wrong" with tone poles or pvc pipes or crab pots or trees, but they are a huge step backwards from pole holes.

It's probably good that the originators of the sport didn't give up before baskets were invented since the game might never have grown. If the technology existed in 1975 like it does today, it's possible we would have had a vertical target that was struck with a confirmation signal versus a basket. The only reason the basket was invented was to confirm that a strike was made, not because a basket was as good as a simple, radially consistent target like a post, pole or tree. Ed designed the basket so only shots coming in from the side (like a target hit) would be good, at least with disc diameters available at the time.

I believe the sport (not the game) will have difficulty reaching its potential until we develop and agree upon a uniform target that's radially symmetrical like a golf hole, not a basket with nubs, discs resting on top, 12 chains where the basket profile changes every 30 degrees as you rotate around it, different chain patterns and weights. It's our Achilles heel that will eventually need to change, but then that's if you believe DG can become a big time pro sport. So it may never matter.

Personally, I've always felt that complaints about baskets not holding good putts are overblown. It does happen, but about 98% of the whining I hear is for putts that didn't hit quite right, but still touched metal, and the player blames the basket rather than himself.

There is something rather special about the fact that baskets catch discs out of the air.

I haven't played tone polls, so can't say for sure I wouldn't like them. But I've played object golf, and it's not nearly as satisfying. I can't imagine playing baskets, counting every shot that touches chain whether it's caught or not, and enjoying it nearly as much. So, even without playing them, I have my personal doubts about tone poles. Even so, clearly a great layout with tone poles would still be a great layout.

It's probably good that the originators of the sport didn't give up before baskets were invented since the game might never have grown. If the technology existed in 1975 like it does today, it's possible we would have had a vertical target that was struck with a confirmation signal versus a basket. The only reason the basket was invented was to confirm that a strike was made, not because a basket was as good as a simple, radially consistent target like a post, pole or tree. Ed designed the basket so only shots coming in from the side (like a target hit) would be good, at least with disc diameters available at the time.

I believe the sport (not the game) will have difficulty reaching its potential until we develop and agree upon a uniform target that's radially symmetrical like a golf hole, not a basket with nubs, discs resting on top, 12 chains where the basket profile changes every 30 degrees as you rotate around it, different chain patterns and weights. It's our Achilles heel that will eventually need to change, but then that's if you believe DG can become a big time pro sport. So it may never matter.

Ed was a friend of mine. played many rounds with him and have had many discussions related to the sport and this topic in particular. the game has experienced explosive growth, it's only a matter of time before the sport catches up and in my own personal opinion as someone who has competed at every level of the game up to and including the world championships in mpo, targets are not holding it back. everything can be improved at some point, that includes baskets, but i would prefer playing on an original mach 1 than a tone pole any day.

it should be quite obvious at this point that people have spoken and baskets are preferred over tone poles by a wide margin. how many people aspire to installing a new tone pole course vs the number who aspire to installing a pole hole course? arguing about which is better is pointless imo, if you prefer tone poles that's fine but they will never, ever be the standard for professional play.

i played quite a bit of golf in canada over the years and canadians in particular had embraced the tone poles. one course in particular that i played a few times was pender island and the last time i played it they were still tone poles and it appears now to be baskets.

is it possible to search the course directory here and find out the average rating of a tone pole course? are there any 18 hole tone pole courses with a 5 rating? 4?

if so, guess what would happen to that 4 rated tone pole course if baskets were installed?

Latest posts