• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting to the nub of it - a completely different basket question

Is the "no nub" collar a good idea?

• I hate nubs and I like this idea

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I hate nubs but I hate this idea

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don't care about nubs, they are the least of the issues with baskets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Dude, aim higher and hit where you are aiming

Votes: 32 54.2%

• Total voters
Chuck and other old timers will remember these...

The old DGA mach II baskets and even older mach I baskets actually had bigger nubs,

They were affectionally (not really, more likely cursed) referred to "the eyes of Headrick".

This might be part of it. Cornwallis Rd. Park, 5 minutes from my house, has Mach IIs.

Plus I have a Lightning DB-5 as my practice basket.

Attachments

• lightning-db-5.jpg
    lightning-db-5.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 42

The old DGA mach II baskets and even older mach I baskets actually had bigger nubs,

They were affectionally (not really, more likely cursed) referred to "the eyes of Headrick".

That's a funny DG term I hadn't heard before

I seem to remember putting on a basket without nubs and a completely flat top of the cage. When you miss over there, the putter really skips off of there fast and has a tendency to keep more of its momentum. You'll get longer second putts than without them in this scenario. I can't remember exactly where or when I had this experience, but that putter would skip right off the cage and keep going!

What are the advantages of nubs? Are they just a relic of past basket design or do they serve a purpose?

I can see the argument just putt better, but if there is a way to improve the baskets why not do it?

The vertical struts on the early Mach baskets were bent back 180 degrees sideways and then welded to the top tray wire creating the eye hole mentioned above. I'm guessing that the current design where the vertical strut wire bends over the top wire is both more cost effective (sometimes no welding) and produces a smaller nub that's still effective for reducing bad disc skips. Most nub wires are bent inward but a few tray models have nubs wires bending away from the pole. BTW, the saucer cones from Minnesota do not have nubs and were never submitted for PDGA approval. In addition to top wire skips, the cone tops produce all kinds of nasty skips.

Your posts make ot sound like there are already some nubless baskets you guys are know of, or are perhaps even familiar with. Would you care to throw out a few examples of nubless we could google? Just curious.

I can't recall ever seeing a nubless basket intended for permanent, outdoor use... but I don't claim to have played on that many different basket types.

My first basket for my backyard was an Instep portable which was a nubless design. Discs would slingshot off the rim.

Your posts make ot sound like there are already some nubless baskets you guys are know of, or are perhaps even familiar with. Would you care to throw out a few examples of nubless we could google? Just curious.

I can't recall ever seeing a nubless basket intended for permanent, outdoor use... but I don't claim to have played on that many different basket types.

I remember some eleven years ago there was some buzz about Arroyo Vortex baskets, I think they might have been first baskets with webbed inner chains, but also were a nubless design.

There was a thread about them here too:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41202

https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/equipment-certification/targets/vortex-steel
arroyo_vortex-steel.jpg

"Hooks of Headrick" is what I have always heard.

What are the advantages of nubs? Are they just a relic of past basket design or do they serve a purpose?

I can see the argument just putt better, but if there is a way to improve the baskets why not do it?

Stronger weld is the purpose.

Personally I like the idea of discs skipping way off if they skim the top of the tray on a basket with no nubs (same principle as the awesome dome tops at Earlewood)- YMMV.

I'd be willing to trade nubs for the bands, otherwise keep them. Nubs don't bother me at all and from a design prospective they offer more surface area and overall a stronger weld joint than a butt joint.

Without a doubt....and honestly, we have left a legacy of some messed up kids. Sad.

Hey, hey, hey! Don't get all sentimental and serious on me, I was just poking fun. :D

While I don't agree with "participation trophies", the thing I do agree with is the idea of a kid being able to accept that they tried hard and had fun with something without having to actually do well at it.

In other words, how do you get kids to understand their participation was good without needing to make them feel like a "winner"? It's actually a tough thing and situation, IMO. Mostly on the parents to instill a good attitude, I would say.

I know this is all completely off topic... but I mean... something something BBQ. There, now we're back on track. ;)

Up until now, the only NUB I knew about were those not qualified to serve on Submarines, non-Dolphin wearers, and that's what I was called for 8 months, a NUB. I would rather not be thinking about NUBS when I stare down a putt, the memories will make me laugh.

Its funny reading the quotes with my version of a NUB.

Last edited:
Uhhhhhhh, but some are going to far.

Sheesh. ;)

Who gets to decide what is too far?

It's good to see innovation in disc golf. If the changes aren't useful, then the marketplace will decide that. People just won't use or purchase the products.

^^^^
anyone and everyone!

btw, i did NOT start with the, Uhhhhhhh & Sheesh

lastly, innovation is in the eye of the beholder, and sometimes they think they are bigger than the sport. ;)

Latest posts