• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting to the nub of it - a completely different basket question

Is the "no nub" collar a good idea?

• I hate nubs and I like this idea

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I hate nubs but I hate this idea

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don't care about nubs, they are the least of the issues with baskets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Dude, aim higher and hit where you are aiming

Votes: 32 54.2%

• Total voters

Rastnav

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Putts that are good right up until they are not is one of the more annoying, sometimes soul crushing things in disc golf. With that as the back drop, perhaps the basket "caused" miss I hate the most is the one where your disc goes nearly all the way into the tray and the rear edge catches one of the support nubs and the discs either rebounds out or, maybe even worse, swivels on that point and flings itself out.

With that in mind, what would you think about some sort of basket design that eliminates these nubs? Maybe a U shaped collar that fits over the nubs to give a nice clean edge to the tray. Theoretically this could even be retrofitted to existing baskets, if one were so inclined.

(I could lose my first million dollars creating business to sell these!)

Yes, theoretically this might actually stop more putts than it catches, but to me this isn't an issue, because you can actually aim OVER the edge and know that any putt that goes over that lip nice and low will stay and not be arbitrarily nubbed out.

LEAVE EVERYTHING ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wall:

Uhhhhhhh, companies are come out with new basket designs all the time which vary the chain configuration and tray construction.

This isn't changing anything about the fundamental design of the target.

Sheesh.

Uhhhhhhh, companies are come out with new basket designs all the time which vary the chain configuration and tray construction.

This isn't changing anything about the fundamental design of the target.

Sheesh.

Uhhhhhhh, but some are going to far.

Sheesh. ;)

Nubs are optional in the target design specs. There are many Championship approved targets whose tray is nubless. The only requirement is the nubs be radially positioned uniformly around the tray rim. Something diabolical would be to see the nub wires extended upward to reduce the height of the target window for horizontal putts but still allow more vertical putts to enter the tray. ;)

example of changing just to change, jmo…

Attachments

• I VS P.jpg
    I VS P.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 82
Is getting nubbed out frustrating? Sure.
How frequently does it happen?

Observationally, just for myself and the folks I typically play with, maybe 1/500 putts gets nubbed out, and I'm just talking about some good time beer league. I'm sure it's significantly less for people who play in the open divisions on the regular.

So we're addressing something like 0.2% of the putts, maybe less. This really isn't much of an issue. Just another solution looking for a problem.

I agree with those that say if you get nubbed out, it really wasn't a good putt anyway. You're aiming for the heart of the chains, not trying to scrape in off the top of the cage.

Would it be nice if somebody came up with a basket that took nubs out of the equation? I suppose, but not if it's gonna cost significantly more.

Last edited:
Many of my putts enter the basket just barely above the tray and I can't recall a single one that got 'nubbed out'. I have more of an issue with the baskets that have bands....those are more likely (in my experience) to knock a disc out than basket tops that don't have bands.

Putt regularly on a basket without nubs and you'll wish it had them.

Really?! I've never gone nub less other than tonals.

Who makes nubless baskets anyhow? I hate getting nubbed out but I slip chains more often than nubs.

If you retrofit a basket it will immediately be higher sitting on top of nubs, so it will decrease the target by removing the space between nubs.

If you build nub free from the start there may be structural implications.. Folded and welded loops are more structurally sound than a weld. Once the welds start rusting the top loop probably adds significant longevity especially when people climb or sit on the baskets. (Idiots happen)

Last edited:
Nubs are optional in the target design specs. There are many Championship approved targets whose tray is nubless. The only requirement is the nubs be radially positioned uniformly around the tray rim. Something diabolical would be to see the nub wires extended upward to reduce the height of the target window for horizontal putts but still allow more vertical putts to enter the tray. ;)

Putt regularly on a basket without nubs and you'll wish it had them.

Your posts make ot sound like there are already some nubless baskets you guys are know of, or are perhaps even familiar with. Would you care to throw out a few examples of nubless we could google? Just curious.

I can't recall ever seeing a nubless basket intended for permanent, outdoor use... but I don't claim to have played on that many different basket types.

Chuck and other old timers will remember these...

The old DGA mach II baskets and even older mach I baskets actually had bigger nubs,

They were affectionally (not really, more likely cursed) referred to "the eyes of Headrick".

Observationally, just for myself and the folks I typically play with, maybe 1/500 putts gets nubbed out, and I'm just talking about some good time beer league. I'm sure it's significantly less for people who play in the open divisions on the regular.

I don't know, it happens often enough that I've had it happen it to me enough times for it to make an impression. I agree that's it's fairly rare, though. Also, since I've switched to a hyzer putt it really doesn't happen anymore.

A putt that doesn't go in because it hits a nub wasn't a good putt. Don't blame the equipment.

I'm going to take exception with this. The best putts, the ones most likely to stick, the ones least likely to chain out or cut through, are the ones that clear the top of the tray by just a little bit. If you watch pros putting in windier conditions, you'll frequently see them slipping putts in just over the rim.

In order to get nubbed out you cleared not only the top ring of the tray, but also the nub. Whether or not you get nubbed out at that point is just pure luck and has as much to do with where you are putting from vs. where the nubs are.

I'm saying that there is this very hard dividing line between the best possible putt and a missed putt. Center pole just over the tray is the best possible putt. But there is this slightly fuzzy area of randomness on what arguably should be the perfect putt.

Latest posts