• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Beginning Marylander

I'm taking in a lot of information and decided to pursue the following.
I am welcome to any feedback on any of the choices below.

Distance Driver:
Ape
Boss - just to see

Fairway Driver
TL OR Leopard

Mid Range / Approach / Putter
King Cobra OR Roc
KC Avair

I'm taking in a lot of information and decided to pursue the following.
I am welcome to any feedback on any of the choices below.

Distance Driver:
Ape
Boss - just to see

Fairway Driver
TL OR Leopard

Mid Range / Approach / Putter
King Cobra OR Roc
KC Avair

The guy who recommended the ape was pulling your leg. It's way too fast and way too stable. I used to use a boss as a new player, but not for distance. I couldn't throw it without OATing the heck out of it (OAT = bad) so I used it as a tomahawk disc. The thing has some crazy skip due to that razor thin edge, so it often got decent tomahawk distance for me.

So what would you suggest for a Distance Driver?

Also the 11x Teebirds -- why so expensive?

Been a long time lurker of the forums. I have played a few times this year so far but using my friend's extra set. He has the Beginner Innova set with 3 discs.

I just bought a KC Aviar putter and looking for some good straight long distance and fairway drivers.

Where are you in MD. I have played every course in Maryland. If I run into you I may have some extra plastic, just promise not to buy an ape :)

Last edited:
Everyone on here will just tell you get this get that, (most will say leopard or eagle). I'm a bit unconventional and started playing with a DX Wraith and now that's become my putter while my champ groove is my finesse disc and my r-pro boss is my raw distance disc. Also I use a champ sidewinder for overhand shots.

Bottom line is you can either pick a random driver and learn to be good at it or play it safe and go with a leopard/eagle. I suggest finding someone who's selling used discs for cheap on here and buy about 5 and just find out which ones work for you.
Practice one a range or open field will make a much greater difference than the specific driver you're using.

you can not be serious. DX wraith as a putter, overhand with the disc you should be driving with, and a r-pro boss as a "raw distance" disc...all 200 feet of raw distance?

go with dx aviar/dx cobra/pro leopard. the dx cobra is a better beginner disc than a dx roc because the roc will just fade a lot. more neutral flight ratings are better for new players. especially in base plastic. the king cobra in champ plastic will be too much. the kc aviar is a great disc but again, i think not the best for a beginner.

if you must have a distance driver, i would suggest a pro valkyrie in the lightest weight you can find. for the other discs: 165-168 for fairway driver and 170-172 for a putter.

11x teebirds are expensive because they aren't made anymore and people love/mythologize them as throwers. are they 'worth' those prices? that's up to you. the most expensive disc i carry (at times) is a used 11x firebird. worth 20 maybe 25 bucks. if i lost the ones i have, i'd buy some of the new run glo flattops (already have two) because they do the same thing. everything else (besides a few slightly newer production ching rocs) are stock plastic. most of the better newer/younger players i know throw stock plastic to be honest.

lots of people just like to throw/collect/hoard expensive OOP plastic as a hobby but very few have any proof that it really makes a difference. most of the ones that do are people that have been playing for a long time and at least were playing when those particular discs came out and used them 'in the now'. while i wouldn't spend that much $$ on a thrower, i can at least kinda understand that position. but i laugh every time i see a post from a noob looking for OOP plastic that they are going to throw. for the price of two new/slightly used two CE whatevers you can get a practice basket and 5 of the same putter. you can guess which one is going to help your game more.

sorry for the rant. one too many bohs i guess :D

I live in the Towson area in Baltimore County. I have only been to Goucher's course about 3 times. Most weekends I am down in the Federal Hill area.

goucher is a lot of fun and is never crowded. check out the safari layout i posted on my review for a whole different challenge once you get tired of the basic layout.

I've seem many people on here say that for inside the circle any putter will work - grap whatever feels good to you - bead, no-bead, hard, grippy, etc. And learn to be consistent.

For mids - there's the never ending Roc vs Buzzz wars. I personnal use Buzzz cause the Roc just faded to much for me and I couldn't get used to the feel. Lot's of folks are going for the LAT64 mids but they are a little pricey.

Drivers - leopards are the standard but again there's plenty of options.

Long range - honestly just stay away from them for awhile. When I go out in the field to practice the speed 10+ discs I've bought to experiment with don't go much longer than the Leopard, teebird and Track. But they are why more sensitive.

Another suggestion maybe get two mids - one stable and one understable unless you're planning to forehands on those right hand dog-legs. I use a light weight Stingray for unstable.

i am going to annapolis today -- are there any disc golf stores in the area besides the one in columbia?

Disc Outfitters in Columbia would be the nearest to Annapolis. The only other shop in Maryland with a decent selection is Scorpio Disc Golf Shop in White Marsh. Otherwise Dicks, Sports Authority, and Play it Again sports usually have some disc golf equipment in very limited supply.

I am a loyal disc outfitters guy, but I was seriously impressed with Scorpio. The selection they had was very impressive.

Just an update to this:

I went to Scorpio Disc in White Marsh and picked up a Champion Leopard and Gold Lat 64 Fuse.

Latest posts