• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Besides disc golf in Louisville, what to do

WVA Texan

I've got a trip planned around my 45th high school reunion in West Virginia. This includes three new states for courses, which I've decided based on comments in this forum. There's a 9 hole course near Parkersburg WVa (where I'll stay with my brother during reunion activities), Mt. Airy Forest in Cincinnati and Charlie Vettiner in Louisville. What I would like is suggestions for one activity (on a Wednesday) in Louisville to include besides a round at Vettiner. Much thanks in advance, as my wife & I leave for two weeks in little over a week.

4th Street Live is a pretty good Entertainment/Retail area. Bluegrass Brewing Company is a solid brewpub. (I recommend the Nut Brown Ale)

Louisville Slugger museum is an excellent choice as well.

There's a boatload of bourbon distilleries in the surrounding vicinity. (google Kentucky Bourbon Trail.) I know Maker's Mark offers tours and I'd bet most of the others do as well.

The best distillery tour I've been to is Woodford Reserve. It's a bit out of the way coming from Cincy, but it's closer that Makers Mark (which I've heard is also good).

Mmmmm. Woodford Reserve....droool. Love that stuff.

There's a really cool arms museum on the same street as the Louisville Slugger museum, and it has a lot of really cool historical stuff in it.

There is a really nice Triple AAA Baseball team located in downtown Louisville which would be nice in conjunction with the Louisville Slugger tour. If your a gambler type, there is a gambling boat across the river. If you go to Cincy a day early you might be able to get a Reds game if they are in town at the time.

When your at Mt. Airy, make sure that you check out the Nati disc golf shop located by the first tee.

Thanks for the suggestions received to date. Perhaps, additional items will be received prior to our departure on the 11th. I especially like the Louisville Slugger and downtown entertainment items. Hopefully, the weather in that part of the country will be considerably cooler than we have been having here in Texas (highs generally in the low 100s) the past few weeks. I've got my disc bag ready to go (only carry 10 discs) and look forward to experiencing three new courses.

Go to the Louisville Slugger Museum and take a picture of yourslef with the giant six story bat in the background.

You could tour the museum too. -- > http://www.sluggermuseum.org/

I just did this last summer after playing C Vettiner DGC. The tour doesn't take a long time and it's very interesting.

Also stopped at http://www.bristolbarandgrille.com, the owner asked us what we were in town for, after saying DG, he said he knew of David Greenwell.

The Bourbon trail takes a while to do. If you're driving down from Cincy, Jim Beam is probably the best bet (it's like 5 miles off the hwy.) Right south of Cincy is Idlewild. Awesome and hard course. Also right there off the Florence exit is a fantastic Thai restaurant called Mai Thai. The 3 Flavor Walleye is AWESOME. It's not on the lunch menu but they'll make it anyway. The best Indian food I've ever had is in Clifton which is near the U of Cincy campus. I'll second stopping in the Nati pro shop at Mt. Airy. I went there with my wife 2 years ago and then again a couple months ago and the owner remembered us and is a very nice guy. I found a few nice used discs and an awesome star firebird in there.

Mammoth Cave is a pretty cool thing to visit too. And I promise it'll be pretty cold in there. Though that's 2 hours south of Louisville near the Bowling Green area.

In any case, I'm from Austin and my wife is from Cincy. We make that drive at least once a year so if you're looking for cool places to stop along the way let me know.

The Bluegrass Brewing Co (BBC) in Lousiville has great beers.

How could I forget all the great beer! I even have a keg of BBC APA and BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout at home. :wall:

The BBC and Cumberland have great beer and food, but my absolute favorite is the NABC (New Albanian Brewing Company). Their Grant Line location aka Richo's Public House, has the best pizza in the greater Louisville area hands down, the deep dish is simply amazing. Their beer line up will blow you away and they're rated the 12th best beer bar in the world in 2011 on ratebeer.com.

NABC for the win. I have made this as much of a crucial stop as the courses themselves; on more than one occasion.

There's a bourbon bar trail through the city that's like the bourbon trail throughout KY. Never been on it but got it on my list of things to do in Louisville.

Just returned from the trip northeast. Thank you for your suggestions. We did go to the Louisville Slugger Museum. However, since we had a pet, my wife couldn't do the tour (they don't allow pets). As neither of us drink (my wife's dad was an alcoholic), we declined the liquor suggestions (good suggestions; just not for us). Also, we did stop at a White Castle. I had the chicken rings. My wife had a slammer (what they call the burgers). We greatly enjoyed the two disc golf courses. Mt. Airy Forest in Cincinnati is excellent, even with the rough (we were fortunate to stay out of it). As to Charlie Vetner, the high humidity and temperature reduced the enjoyment of this excellent course. Thankfully, a local joined us at hole 12, which allowed us to complete the coures, as signage was somewhat lacking. All in all, the discing was great and I would recommend both courses.

Latest posts