• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Best 2 Disc Combo for High School Students

dgcembrist

I'm in the process of installing a course and starting a club at my high school. I want to offer my club members a 2 disc starter set and I need help deciding on which discs to choose. Vibram sent me a bunch of used drivers, and I'd like to give the kids a brand new putter and one other disc. These need to be Innova as they have helped us with baskets and course design. My buddy and I have discussed possibly a Colt and a Leopard.

Comment here with your suggestions!

Colt is fast for a putting putter.

But colt/ leopard3 would work good. You could get them in decently high weights (160s) and they'll work about everybody.

I just say leopard3 because they are consistent to the flight numbers.

If you've got Vibram drivers, you really should consider a true mid and putter combo. I don't throw them myself, but aren't the Roc and the Aviar just about the epitome of 'legendary' discs for those slots in the Innova lineup?

you really should consider a true mid and putter combo. I don't throw them myself, but aren't the Roc and the Aviar just about the epitome of 'legendary' discs for those slots in the Innova lineup?

This ^^^^
Or The Aviar and Shark. Lots of new players have a hard time with the bead of a Roc.

Yea my initial thought was Aviar/Leopard but we thought the Colt would double as a mid-range. Maybe we should go with an Aviar to emphasize putting and let them learn to throw it for midrange and approaches.

If you've got Vibram drivers, you really should consider a true mid and putter combo. I don't throw them myself, but aren't the Roc and the Aviar just about the epitome of 'legendary' discs for those slots in the Innova lineup?

Yea good point. I should clarify that Vibram sent me a box of 100 assorted discs from several major brands, most of which are drivers. Maybe we'll go with an Aviar and a Roc or Shark. I gradually moved away from the Roc myself but perhaps my bias shouldn't get in the way of my teaching.

I'm thinking Aviar and Shark if you need to keep it Innova. I would definitely go with a true putter and mid combo. I believe this will help new players develop good form before they start attempting to throw higher speed drivers.

There's a reason the Aviar, Shark and Leopard are in the starter pack.

I would say Aviar and Shark.

I'm thinking Aviar and Shark if you need to keep it Innova. I would definitely go with a true putter and mid combo. I believe this will help new players develop good form before they start attempting to throw higher speed drivers.

Good point, thank you for the input.

If you need it, which you don't, but I'll give it any way...

Aviar and Shark. Once they get the handle on things you can easily start adding in Leopards etc to the mix. The Colt is a good mix, and you were on the right track having it double as a mid, but I think that's for players with a bit of experience who are using it for their putter drives.

I'm the principal of an alternative high school and we've done disc golf units both Fall and Spring for the last couple of years. The kids really like it but few have actually been hooked enough to really care about the flight characteristics of the discs. They usually want the coolest looking discs or their favorite color as much as anything. Now, granted, my students tend to be low on athleticism and motivation to excel, but I would advise you to be realistic that the majority of your kids will not get into the sport to the extent of caring much about the nuances of disc weights, flight numbers, etc. For the bulk of your discs, get the easiest discs to throw successfully right out of the gate. I love your idea about Leopard/Colt because that combo would be so versatile. However, if you're talking about a mixed gender general population of high school kids rather than a select group of stud athletes in a disc golf club, make sure you get 150 class DX Leopards that will give you some understability and glide with a beginner's form and arm speed. The new Champion Leopard 3's will be too heavy and overstable for many students. I think the Avair would be a good choice too (in lighter weights) if you go with a more traditional putter rather than the Colt.

If you didn't need to stick with Innova, I'd suggest the Lat 64 Diamond. Last year, I found several misprint discs on the cheap in their Frost and Opto plastic and the kids love them because they look cool and are super easy to throw. An Innova disc to consider for your less skilled beginners is a lightweight Condor (<170g)...throws a lot like a frisbee.

As for the kids who are motivated and interested enough to join your disc golf club, go for some snazzy looking Champion plastic like a Leopard, Leopard 3 or even a Mako 3.

Now that I've said all that...my 16 year old son who is really into disc golf and normally into Trillogy plastic, has played several two disc rounds this Fall/winter with a Champion Leopard 3 and an XT Colt...so take that for what it's worth...he's really into those discs right now.

Good luck with your project!

Sorry forgot to mention that a mix of 150 class and heavier weight would be ideal.

Golfshrink touched on that and it's a good point.

150 class Leopard and Colt if you are going Innova

Another option is ABC Discs. You could get Flying Squirrels and Money Putters. They provided some to a friend of mine hosting a youth event. Only $3 each.

Maybe Innova could provide a selection of mids. Sharks, Cobras, Coyotes, & Stingrays have great name appeal; but some students might prefer a Wombat in their bag. ;)

Aviar for putting. Leopard for, well, everything else.

Based on my experience teaching high schoolers disc golf, half will tomahawk everything anyway.

Aviar + Firebird.

They already got rubber drivers from Vibram coming in so you might want to skip the Leopard idea. If they're new then odds are they're going to need to learn how to scramble. There's no better "get out of jail" utility disc better than a Firebird.

Latest posts