• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best color for the woods?

I've got quite a few orange discs that get heavy usage (Main wraith, main stingray, fresh Roc3). Really felt like I was tempting fate each time I spotted one peaking out from a pile of leaves yesterday. Thankfully I've got non-orange backups for all. Planning to swap those out next chance I get.

The past few weeks with leaves layering. Fire engine red has been easy to spot, pinks, and flame color. I had 3 disc the color of dead leaves and walked right past one of them on my first course day with layering leaves. Instead of risk losing them, I took all three of them to PIAS including a Plasma Photon and Exchange them for a bright purple with silver foil Plasma Photon easy to spot.

I can't remember what thread it was or who posted it, but...

Several years ago, someone on DGCR posted a pic with about 10 or so discs of various colors hidden in a blanket of fall leaves, with at least a small portion of each disc visible.

It did a great job of showing:

1) How color can help.
2) How easy it is to visually scan right over a disc (sometimes multiple times)before you actually see it.
3) That sometimes, color doesn't matter.

If someone can find that post and link, I'm sure many people will be very appreciative, including myself.

from my personal experience (especially when other people throw this color) purple is a horrible solid color to try to find after throwing even compared solid black.

nothing will beat tie dye for hard to find colors but for solid colors I've had problems so many times when my card mates and friends throw their dang purple discs.

for some reason purple will even disappear when landing flat on green grass that's a little tall. purple has the uncanny ability to just mix in surrounding stuff.

Last edited:
from my personal experience (especially when other people throw this color) purple is a horrible solid color to try to find after throwing even compared solid black.

nothing will beat tie dye but for solid colors I've had problems so many times when my cardmates and friends throw their dang purple discs.

for some reason purple will even disappear when landing flat on green grass that's a litter taller. purple has the uncanny ability to just mix in surrounding stuff.
This is the second reason I got a backup Eternal Jackalope a month or so ago. I knew autumn had arrived and did not want to risk losing my beloved beat in purple one. Got a hot pink one. As far as throwing it on more leafy courses, so far so good!

I refer to tye-dye as camouflage...
Colors used for tye-dye doesn't really matter, the irregular patterns do more harm than good.
To continue, my cart will only have white, pink or orange, not counting my black puffy Wizards. Unfortunately that usually minimizes (if we can get online stores and manufacturers to know the difference between pink and purple) my options, especially when I factor in the weight options. I am okay with that, like I really need more (think I may finally be under a thousand) discs.

I had mentioned before how blue is good but that I tend to find a lot of blue beer cans in the woods, thinking they might be a blue disc. Someone, can't remember and don't care to, got into a back and forth about how the cans I said I was finding were only from a specific era and that I was essentially wrong in my observation. It was pretty dumb. So this is my roundabout way of saying blue doesn't occur in nature, but beer cans that are blue end up there. Thanks for reading.
Good for you. Maybe it is easy where you are, but I avoid blue and black. I want pink, orange, red and in the summer even green discs stand out in drought stricken Texas.

My favorite colors in for playing in the woods are light blue and hot pink. I'd tell you to avoid deep, dark colors like black, navy, maroon, deep purple.

While I'm personally not a fan of yellow in general, it can actually be pretty easy to spot on shadowy wooded courses, that don't have a lot of foliage on the ground. But if there's a lot of vegetation at ground level, yellow is the toughest color for me to spot in vegetation.

That said, people's perception of color can differ. Think bright and high contrast compared to the courses and conditions you frequent.

My whole bag alternates pink/blue/pink/blue.

Easy to find. Easy to know when I left/lost one. Even easier to find in the snow.

I struggle with Red or Green. I can be standing a foot away from a bright red disc in the fairway in an open field and not see it.

For me, some pinks even are hard.

To me the best hands down is yellow or blue.

Specifically yellow in the star / neutron type plastic and blue in the champ / proton type plastic.

Axiom has been good for me, if I get a disc that is blue with a yellow rim or reversed, I can almost always find it.

My bag and backups are almost all some variation of a blue, yellow or both.

Even then,
I avoid blue late evening in the woods.

Latest posts