• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Courses in West PA

So i was the one that orriginally started the post here and wow i really didnt expect all that. I started playin dg here in IN and other than 2MRX (which was apparently put in recently within walking distance of my parents house) i didnt know there was such a dg culture there. It makes sense though in the best sports town in the world. Thanks everyone for all the information. Itll make visiting my parents that much more bareable!

I just played 2MRX and it's in great shape. Have fun!

My vote's for Boyce just because it's closer to me. It is a nice park for a course, though. Plus a wave pool for when you play in the summer. And a ski slope for when you play in the winter.

timg needs to make another Western PA trip. From what i hear Deer Lakes is a totally different course compared to 2007. :thmbup:

It is a completely different course. The improvements at Deer Lakes are mind numbing. The concrete tee pads, 3 per hole, make a huge difference. The retaining walls we build make sure that all the tees are flat and level. No more teeing off while trying to run up hill or at an off angle. Plus, the visual aspect of them are beautiful. After we get them all done, which will be soon, are next project is to reseed the fairways on #7 and #8. We've already added some trees to shape the fairways a little more on those holes. Give that course another year and it'll be perfect!

FYI...Still like Moraine better. :D

It is a completely different course. The improvements at Deer Lakes are mind numbing. The concrete tee pads, 3 per hole, make a huge difference. The retaining walls we build make sure that all the tees are flat and level. No more teeing off while trying to run up hill or at an off angle. Plus, the visual aspect of them are beautiful. After we get them all done, which will be soon, are next project is to reseed the fairways on #7 and #8. We've already added some trees to shape the fairways a little more on those holes. Give that course another year and it'll be perfect!

FYI...Still like Moraine better. :D

I agree that Moraine is a great course. With the detours at Moraine, I've found myself playing Deer Lakes more often. Last year I was alternating between the 2 every weekend. But this year I've only been to Moraine twice. I think I'll head up there this weekend.

I agree that Moraine is a great course. With the detours at Moraine, I've found myself playing Deer Lakes more often. Last year I was alternating between the 2 every weekend. But this year I've only been to Moraine twice. I think I'll head up there this weekend.

FYI...The Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open is this weekend. Moraine and Knob Hill will be closed for tournament play. I'd still go and spectate. Saturday the Pros will be at Moraine and then Knob Hill on Sunday. We got some top names participating, Nikko, Avery, Nate to name a few. The finals at Knob Hill always draw a crowd, should start around 2ish.

If next weekend means the 14th & 15th... maybe consider participating in a trophy only event at Pymatuning on Sunday 15th. Sort of a grand reopening with the eighteen holes being permanently installed - one round $15 includes lunch, funds towards course, etc.

www.nicediscgolf.com

PA courses rated 3.0+ within 75 miles of Heinz Field

• Deer Lakes Park [Reviews: 24 - Rating: 4.67]
  • Moraine State Park [Reviews: 33 - Rating: 4.61]
  • Knob Hill Park [Reviews: 25 - Rating: 4.08]
  • Seven Springs Mountain Resort [Reviews: 6 - Rating: 4.00]
  • IUP College Lodge [Reviews: 16 - Rating: 3.84]
  • Two Mile Run Extension [Reviews: 5 - Rating: 3.50]
  • Pymatuning State Park [Reviews: 4 - Rating: 3.50]

I've played the bolded courses, and agree with the relative ratings - Deer Lakes and Moraine are both top-notch, Knob Hill a step below, with IUP and 2MRX not far behind. If you can't enjoy Deer Lakes and/or Moraine, you must be like Mikey :)

Yeah you can be the superberry for Deer Lakes.

I like the acknowledgement that I'm stoopid crazy about hyping my course! It's pride, and a sense of wanting to share the uniqueness with others. Every course needs the lead cheerleader. I don't bash others though for a low rating like julio does with flippycity. I'm mostly curious about why they rated low or did not like the course, maybe it's something we can improve on because we have quite a bit of freedom out there. Most of the time I just argue preferences though with other members, or concrete tees.

I love the fact that Heinz Field was used as you center point. As many yinzers know...It's the Center of The Universe!!!

And according to many theories...the center of the universe is a giant sucking black hole......Go Philly!:D

In all seriousness I had never been to Pittsburgh and felt the courses out there must be overrated BUT TO MY MOST PLEASAN T SURPRISE i TRULY THINK THE COURSES IN THAT REGION ARE VERY UNDERRATED.

And according to many theories...the center of the universe is a giant sucking black hole......Go Philly!:D

In all seriousness I had never been to Pittsburgh and felt the courses out there must be overrated BUT TO MY MOST PLEASAN T SURPRISE i TRULY THINK THE COURSES IN THAT REGION ARE VERY UNDERRATED.

If the center of the universe is a giant sucking black hole, that would definitely be Philly!!! :D Actually, Love the City...HATE the sports team!

Once we get Worlds in Da Burgh, everyone will see on a grand scale what Pittsburgh courses have to offer.

I have never been to a pro tourny. Are you able to walk around and watch different holes/golfers?

P.S. I changed my avatar for you optidiscic:D

You guys are more than welcome to come check it out. There's usually a pretty large crowd following the top card of the finals. Last year I'm guessing we had about 30-40 people following the top card. The crowd went nuts when Avery aced #16. Watch it here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAAM6UAW-xo

He was down 3 shots before this. He then deuced #18 B-pin (471ft) to tie and won on the first playoff hole. Very exciting stuff.

So definitely come on out and watch the action.

Go pirates. 79 we are family. Lol On a whole though what I am learning is that pa has some great dg. Someone on this site posted honestly that he was from north Carolina and that his state had nothing quite like moraine. I really hope u guys get worlds.

What year is Pittsburgh tryin to get the bid for worlds? And what course are they plannin to have it on? I wanna know so I can put my request time off in now

Latest posts