• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Courses near Pentwater, MI

Stable

* Ace Member *
I'll be in Pentwater, MI (from NC) for about a week and a half in early August. Never been there even though I was born in MI (Saginaw). What are the best courses within an hour of that area that I should play? Looks like Leviathan and Flip City are really great. What else should I get to?

Almost everything around that area is great.

Mason County Park - Beauty, Beast, Goliath
Leviathan
Flip City
Whitehall
Branstrom

What brings you to Pentwater? None of my business but I thought that was kind of out in the middle of nowwhere.

The weather should be cooler, much so than NC. Head to Ludington for lunch or dinner and a beer or two.

Leviathan is on my list to play wish I would have played it last year when I went to flip. Heard it is brutal.

The guys that know this area can give you some iders on some of the diamonds in the rough which I am currently researching for my next trip up their.

1. Flip City - stunning in every way
2. Leviathan - pretty epic and not overly cruel imo
3. Mason County parks - 3 courses

go to Pere Marquette Expeditions store near Mason County parks - they have beer and discs and rent kayaks for cheap

Call me a d!ck, but why do we even bother writing reviews? People just want to be spoon fed recommendations without any detail.

1) Go to the map.
2) Zoom in on the area you're interested in.
3) Click on the higher rated courses rated courses in the area.
4) Read reviews... I hear some folks are pretty good at writing reviews for visiting players.

This is without doubt the best way to ensure you get to courses you'll like, because simple recommendations don't tell you much about what makes a course unique ( or run of the mill), nor do you get much of a feel for why that person's recommending them. Do they like (or hate); water carries, elevation, technical holes, long air it out holes, etc.

How nasty is the rough? That can be a deciding factor if you have limited time to complete a round.

Last edited:
Call me a d!ck, but why do we even bother writing reviews? People just want to be spoon fed recommendations without any detail.

1) Go to the map.
4) Read reviews... I hear some folks are pretty good at writing reviews for visiting players.

This is without doubt the best way to ensure you get to courses you'll like, because simple recommendations don't tell you much about what makes a course unique ( or run of the mill), nor do you get much of a feel for why that person I recommending them. Do they like/hate water, elevation, technical holes, long air it out holes, etc.

B/c without this thread he wouldn't have known where to rent kayaks and where to eat lunch and dinner and get beer.

You dick. :|

He asked about courses, not the other stuff.

...and by the way, and I'm one good looking d!ck. :|

Last edited:
In an attempt to provide some truly useful info:

1) Flip City has tournaments scheduled two Saturdays in a row: Aug 5th & Aug 12th... so you might want to schedule around that. None of the other courses being used for Michigan State Championships have any events scheduled prior to the event... so you're good to go there.

2) Because no one else mentioned it: if you like ski hill style courses, make it a point to play Whiskey Creek / Whiskey Hills (one course - name depends which site you look at). It's not actually a ski hill, but it plays like one (i.e. spectacular elevation on this course... more than any other course in the area). As great as the Ludington DG scene was already, Whiskey Hills was the type of course the area was missing... not any more.

3) Because others planning to visit Ludington might check out this thread sometime down the road... cross off Sep 2nd - 3rd:Michigan State Championships will be held at pretty much all of these courses Labor Day weekend. It would suck to get there, only to find you couldn't get a round in on any of the best courses.

Last edited:

1) Go to the map.

This is without doubt the best way to ensure you get to courses you'll like, because simple recommendations don't tell you much about what makes a course unique ( or run of the mill), nor do you get much of a feel for why that person's recommending them. Do they like (or hate); water carries, elevation, technical holes, long air it out holes, etc.

How nasty is the rough? That can be a deciding factor if you have limited time to complete a round.

I did check out the map and used the reviews to make a list of courses. Figured I'd also create this thread to get catch information from people on here that respond to threads but don't necessarily write reviews. Who knows, maybe someone that lives in the area might have offered to meet up for a round. You were nice enough to 'spoon feed' me that good information about Flip City being reserved for a tournament on the 5th. I may have picked that day to play Flip City but this thread has given me the information I needed so that I could plan something else.

What brings you to Pentwater? None of my business but I thought that was kind of out in the middle of nowwhere.

The weather should be cooler, much so than NC. Head to Ludington for lunch or dinner and a beer or two.

Leviathan is on my list to play wish I would have played it last year when I went to flip. Heard it is brutal.

The guys that know this area can give you some iders on some of the diamonds in the rough which I am currently researching for my next trip up their.

Meeting some Midwest friends there for a vacation.

Looking forward to leaving the NC humidity for a little while. I always notice how much crisper and forgiving the air is up north.

Life has taught me to check for local tournies and leagues when planning trips. Some want to hit 'em, some want to avoid 'em.