• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best disc for form work

Something neutral enough not to fade out, but also not flip over unpredictably (ie - you want to be able to practice both line shaping and hyzer-flips). Putters and mids won't hide bad form with 'didn't get up to speed' stability - so you can narrow down to neutral putters and mids. The Pure and Comet are good choices - the Meteor is another good choice.

In terms of practice - do lots of it; the best teacher is throwing - spend time in a field throwing back and forth tweaking your form as you go and critique yourself honestly. When you throw a junk fade-out nose-up wobbler, analyze WHY you did it ... what form mistakes did you make, what habits are contributing to those shots, how can I address one of these issues. Try different grips, try to throw 'lines', try shots you'd never try on the course, try to hit the same target over and over, try to see if you can get more distance than you did last week in your favorite spot, etc. Also, mimic other players - even the guys you see on YouTube. I'm not saying walk around like Pauly Mac or Willie Shoe, but take what you see and try to apply it ... ask yourself how they get their power, what does their reachback and weight shift look like, their follow through, etc etc. And if you find an extra 15 feet of snap on a couple of shots, work those techniques into your game ... pick/choose/learn what works for you individually.

Question for all the "Comet for form" dgers (I guess this applies to the "putter for form" people as well...).

I love Comets and own 3 or 4. I haven't had tons of luck using them for form practice though. What exactly are you looking for when you throw it? E.g. "I know I made a good throw because it hyzer flipped, made a moderate turn, and then flew 600 feet before gliding gently back to the left." But seriously, is it distance? elevation? trajectory? I've kinda given up on Comets for practice, since I'm not always sure what a "good Comet" looks like. Also, I find the grip a little awkward, and throwing other discs helps more in rounds.

Appreciate the clarification. And yes, I'm the first one to admit my form needs improvement.

Question for all the "Comet for form" dgers (I guess this applies to the "putter for form" people as well...).

I love Comets and own 3 or 4. I haven't had tons of luck using them for form practice though. What exactly are you looking for when you throw it? E.g. "I know I made a good throw because it hyzer flipped, made a moderate turn, and then flew 600 feet before gliding gently back to the left." But seriously, is it distance? elevation? trajectory? I've kinda given up on Comets for practice, since I'm not always sure what a "good Comet" looks like. Also, I find the grip a little awkward, and throwing other discs helps more in rounds.

Appreciate the clarification. And yes, I'm the first one to admit my form needs improvement.

Looking for little to no turn on a flat and hard higher throw, or a tiny, tiny hyzerflip on a low and hard rip. Tiny fade. Chucking them about 360 on a good shot, almost as far as my gazelles on a much higher line. I've grown to prefer z, but seasoned x will always have a special place in my bag.

I've never been let down by a comet with a healthy amount of dome, except once. The dome on comets seems to go hand in hand with high plh, but I always bring a couple reference discs in to the store with me when I shop so I know I can pick out identical backups.

I, too, gave up on comets. Opto pures were my disc of choice for a while instead. Then I also started throwing zero pures. Then all of a sudden I threw my comets a lot better. Opto Pures are forgiving enough without being too dishonest about your form.

Last edited:
X comet and a Nova. Nova gives great feedback for oat and release angle. It holds what you put it on as long as theres not excessive torque.

X (or even better TP) comet requires you to be smooth.

X comet and a Nova. Nova gives great feedback for oat and release angle. It holds what you put it on as long as theres not excessive torque.

X (or even better TP) comet requires you to be smooth.

Agreed with this. One thing I will add though is I had issues with the Nova with the depth (small hands I could never feel confident with the release). Now that I have a Colt it is filling that same great form check role.

Am i the only one that prefers understable fairways for form work? I usually start out with putters and mids, but in the same way a faster disc may fly right owing to its extra stability (over putter/mid), my putters and mids seem much more forgiving of nose up releases. I've had days where my putters were smoothly turning but my (e.g.) Relay doesn't (and its fliptastic). I feel like once my putters / mids are smoothly turning I'm wasting my time if I don't move on to the fairways (nose up is one of my main issues in all fairness). Anyone else have this experience -- or think i'm completely wrong here?

No, fairways are good for form work too for exactly the reasons you mention - nose angle. I just find that mids or longer putters are good for building a foundation first.

Throwing a comet correctly was a huge boost from a technical and mental standpoint for me.
Novas will expose flaws with a quickness as well, as many have attested.

It took a few awkward months to learn this grip but it's money... (in case you haven't tried it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCKeBjXMJb8
I was actually just working on throwing with this grip yesterday. And you are right, it is money! A bit less distance than a full power grip, but the accuracy improves by so much more! I started using this grip after watching this same video, and immediately loved it.

Am i the only one that prefers understable fairways for form work? I usually start out with putters and mids, but in the same way a faster disc may fly right owing to its extra stability (over putter/mid), my putters and mids seem much more forgiving of nose up releases. I've had days where my putters were smoothly turning but my (e.g.) Relay doesn't (and its fliptastic). I feel like once my putters / mids are smoothly turning I'm wasting my time if I don't move on to the fairways (nose up is one of my main issues in all fairness). Anyone else have this experience -- or think i'm completely wrong here?
No, you are on to something here. If time allows, I try to start with putters & mids, then break out the fairways & drivers towards the end. Putters are great for working on control, and fairways are better for nose angle issues. I personally think it's better to incorporate them into your practice session. Plus, for me, I'm still working on figuring out how all my discs fly, what they're capable of, and which discs are best for whichever shot I'm trying to go for. So I like to throw them for form work, as well as experimenting.

I definitely see that 'fight back' in each and every single one of my putters when i'm using them for practice. Only my OS mids will try and do that though. If you're using something like the Mako or anything more understable, it should be good for form work and stay on a line if you put it there.

Spend some intensive time with a Magnet. When you hit it just right, you want to do it again and again, but is isn't easy.

A Comet is one of those few discs that is so neutral it will do whatever you tell it to do. If you want to throw a sweeping hyzer, the Comet will give you one. Dead straight? Definitely. Drifting anhyzer with precision? Yep. If your form is clean the Comet will do anything except hard fading hyzers like a real OS disc will. It really is a great mold for learning release angles, line shaping and cleaning up OAT. Z>ESP>X Comet from easiest to black belt level Comet throwing.

The ones with dome are better, flat Comets can be a bit squirrely.

I'll echo:

X Comet (low 170s)
Dx Aviars (these are great because you literally can find them ANYWHERE)
XT Nova
Lighter DX Rocs (OS but they will still tell you if your throw sucks)
Dx Leopard (great driver for form flaws as well, also found EVERYWHERE)

Latest posts