• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] best floater?

clagued

i recently moved, and one of the course near me has many "water" shots including one where you actually have to throw over a pond. i went out there by myself the frist time and did ok. Then i played it with some people i just met and threw it in the water at least 10 times very embarrassing and aggravating. so i wanted to know what everyones fav. floaters where?

im leaning towards a dragon or a wahoo, even tho ive heard some bad things bout the wahoo

The Dragon is a fine floating disc. A lot of better players don't like it on account of it's being really flippy. But that's really just a handy signaling mechanism because when your Dragon is consistently flipping over, it's letting you know that you are ready to throw your standard plastic clear over the pond.

A Hydra works fine for shorter shots. It is very slow like a putter but flies reliably. 130 class Blizzard discs are good floating drivers. Lightning also makes some good floaters i.e. the Eagle (Roc?) and Hellcat (stingray).

The wahoo does fine if you throw backhand. Its flight pattern is really nothing special which is why its such a let down. If you finger-flick don't even bother its sucks worse than $10 vacuum from walmart. Get a Glow rubber putter from Lighting its awesome: Glows bright enough to read by, floats and is nearly indestructible.

Floating or not, it's hard to give you a good recommendation without knowing how far you can throw your current discs and how far this problem water shot needs to go. Offhand, I'd recommend a sub-140 blizzard disc before I would the Dragon or Wahoo, just because those two beat up so fast that they become very undependable (but between the two, I'd go with the Dragon). Just getting to know those two in field practice might beat them up enough to get pretty flippy. I was going to mention the Lightning discs, too...several of those float. If you happen to decide on a Wahoo I have one I'd be happy to trade or sell cheap..but it's a wide rim speed 12 and they're really grippy...it's in good shape and still stable like the ratings. But I'd steer you toward a light blizzard probably.

I've never thrown a floating disc, but so few courses require water shots overall. I have lost 4 discs in ponds in my three years of playing. One was getting old, and another I wouldn't be throwing now anyway, but I miss the other two. Pissed off about them as I was, I did some field work on distance and line-shaping. So, not to sound callous, but I recommend any disc you can learn to throw far enough to clear the water. Build better form and more confidence in your ability to make that water your b*tch. Change your game, not the discs you throw.

Last edited:
Floating or not, it's hard to give you a good recommendation without knowing how far you can throw your current discs and how far this problem water shot needs to go. Offhand, I'd recommend a sub-140 blizzard disc before I would the Dragon or Wahoo, just because those two beat up so fast that they become very undependable (but between the two, I'd go with the Dragon). Just getting to know those two in field practice might beat them up enough to get pretty flippy. I was going to mention the Lightning discs, too...several of those float. If you happen to decide on a Wahoo I have one I'd be happy to trade or sell cheap..but it's a wide rim speed 12 and they're really grippy...it's in good shape and still stable like the ratings. But I'd steer you toward a light blizzard probably.
Well my top 2 drivers are a monarch which I can throw around 325 is I get a good s curve and an orc around 300

I've never thrown a floating disc, but so few courses require water shots overall. I have lost 4 discs in ponds in my three years of playing. One was getting old, and another I wouldn't be throwing now anyway, but I miss the other two. Pissed off about them as I was, I did some field work on distance and line-shaping. So, not to sound callous, but I recommend any disc you can learn to throw far enough to clear the water. Build better form and more confidence in your ability to make that water your b*tch. Change your game, not the discs you throw.
Agreed, but I hate throwing disc in the water and it is cheaper to buy 1 good floating disc then losing my expensive discs.

Get a hydra. I own a hydra, dragon, and wahoo. The hydra stays in my bag, always.
Great driving putter that can easily be pushed 300+ (I can get it around 230-240 on a low line as I don't throw high lines yet)

Get a Dx Tbird, it's cheap and you won't mind losing it in the water. A Dx Tbrid will fly a hell of a lot better than any floating disc.

Plus so what if the disc floats, how are you going to get it?

Get a Dx Tbird, it's cheap and you won't mind losing it in the water. A Dx Tbrid will fly a hell of a lot better than any floating disc.

Plus so what if the disc floats, how are you going to get it?

A floating disc is a lot easier to get than one that doesn't float. If I threw a disc that floats into the water I will get it just because I can see it but if I throw one in that sinks i might decide to come back at a better time because I'm not sure exactly where its at.

I always throw DX discs that are easy and cheap to replace if they end up in the drink. In my experience, floating discs just piss people off more because they can see exactly where it is, and it just sits there and teases them because they don't want to go out in the water to get it. Most of the water on courses you don't wanna get in anyways, trust me.

does the course have a bail out area or different tee for less skilled/distance challenged players? The should be options.

Not necessarily true. You can't use a Golden Retriever with floating discs.

There's two ways to use a Retriever to get a floater. I just try to throw behind the disc, and pull it in using the rope. Others have rigged a plastic bottle to their retriever to keep it on the surface. And then there's the tried and true 'stick on a rope'. Which is, well, a stick on a rope. And, if nothing's on hand, a light breeze will bring it to shore eventually.

As for a floater, I use a bubble plate 134g blizzard boss. It usually has enough fade to come back to shore, and floats on in if it doesn't.

Last edited:

Latest posts