• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best sidearm discs for heavy wind

Flicks and firebirds are awesome in the wind, as well as a Speed Demon. They cut straight through it, i've never had one flip

Any stable disc. Just use the same ones that you use for backhand. If you need different discs for sidearm, you are a torque monkey and need to work on your form.

^ all of those are good suggestions... You have 2 options in a headwind, throw something really overstable nice and flat, or throw a stable/slightly overstable disc with some hyzer, so it flips flat and still finishes with some fade...

Edit: I would add a boss and a rampage, to the list, these were my main headwind drivers when I threw solely FH...

^^^^
This

why not try a spirit? I personally throw a newish glow destroyer into the wind.

Not much of a Innova guy...

cmonman.jpg

You know this stuff!
Then throw a Discraft Flick, Nuke OS, or my choice... the Predator. :thmbup:

I like using my CFR PD into a headwind when I have to flick. Honestly like everyone mentioned they all will work. Sometimes I also use my force...but I have found I can keep the nose down much better with the PD.

That's probably the most important aspect...keeping the nose down and releasing with a little hyzer when throwing into the wind. Don't try to overpower it becasue of the headwind...will only make things worse.

wind discs

I live on the ocean and the winds constantly play havoc with the plastic. I also throw forehand and have found that there are a couple of variables to consider when choosing "wind discs". How hard you throw will be one and how much spin you put on the disc will be the other consideration. If you do both then you are golden. The best discs I have found for wind conditions are the predator and monster for days when touch is more important than forcing the disc through the wind and the ape and boss for all other conditions. For the moderate windy days I have been fooling around with the teedevil and have also been playing around with the heavier weight blizzard discs. If a disc works well in the wind for you then stick with it, regardless of the name or maker.

Champ Banshee is my go to in the wind. Overstable, but not a meathook, plus very little glide so it won't get raped by crosswinds so bad.

I i know it's going to be a windy day I'll put a Innova Monster and a Innova Viper in my bag.

The other discs that I keep in may bag are a Firebird,Destroyer,Gator and a Ryhno which also work well in the wind.

Up to about 10 mph, I can get away with a Glo Z Nuke, its the best at fading forward into a slight headwind.

10-20 mph I switch to a Star Xcal, I still have to watch the nose angle, but because of the higher speed, it will go farther than the Flick.

20+ its the Z Flick. If I start flipping this, even when throwing with a hyzer release super low and flat, then its time to go home.

I use a Drone for mid, Zone for shorts, I don't have anything super overstable except a XXX and a Flick. If those turn over then it's time to break out the thumber or roller and hope for the best.

Latest posts