• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Way to Mark OB

I really like the idea of adding a permanent yet not obtrusive OB line around our course (Eagle County Fairgrounds).

We've been polishing this turd all year and we need to bedazzle it some more!

Two "ghost town style" dry ponds on #6, fairway length OB line on #7, run an OB line along the old Fenceline on #10.

If the park in which the DG course is located has athletics fields, painting the OB lines with the same paint they use to mark the lines on the fields and pitches is optimum.

Painted lines for O. B. should be phased out because they are hard to maintain and imprecise for the cost and effort.

These look awesome. I'm thinking about getting some to mark my natural tees.

They are ok, I used them in the past. The whiskers bend and lose color easily. When hit by mowers, sometimes the mowers pull them up, they fray the ends and the whiskers fan out and turn white. So, if placing near a teebox, they will be flattened shortly. Additionally, unless you use some sort of toggle bolt end and a 6-8" threaded bolt they are easily pulled up and vandalized. this can get expensive. A simple colored brick in the ground works just as well and will see less vandalism.

th

I recently played Wickham Park in Connecticut. Their solution to this problem was to bury white painted small bricks, flush to the ground. They were spaced every couple feet or so to make a dotted line. I suppose that periodically the paint would need to be touched up, but over all they were great. First time seeing something like this.

I bet that you could get used brick cheap or free if you look for it.

I really like the brick idea as well. I've seen it done at my local course and has worked out great!

I would think it's difficult to determine the OB line unless the bricks are butted up next to each other in a straight line. If they are spaced apart, then what reference point do you use on the bricks to make the line?

They are ok, I used them in the past. The whiskers bend and lose color easily. When hit by mowers, sometimes the mowers pull them up, they fray the ends and the whiskers fan out and turn white. So, if placing near a teebox, they will be flattened shortly. Additionally, unless you use some sort of toggle bolt end and a 6-8" threaded bolt they are easily pulled up and vandalized. this can get expensive.

I just tested some in the last couple days and this is exactly what happened to one of them. The mower pulled it right out of the ground and bent the nail. The fraying is very apparent after just one pass and I don't know how long it would be until they are basically destroyed.

Whiskers have worked well as temporary markings in areas where wire flags might be too attractive and some removed by rec players or pedestrians. Not sure they work well for the longer haul.

True, and flags bend. They are great for day of, whiskers have little durability. I've started using recycled garden hose to line my OB's between silt fence posts.