• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Wind Putter

What is the best overstable wind putter?

• challenger

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • big bead aviar

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • rhyno

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • wizard

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • ion

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • other

Votes: 43 33.6%

• Total voters
I get what you're saying Frank, I just think you're wrong.

I've been throwing the Challenger, get this, as an "overstable putter" for years now.
My main putter is an Aviar.
I've experienced the difference, they've quite distinct flight characteristics.
The Challenger is overstable as "alleged" by the manufacturer.

I get what you're saying Frank, I just think you're wrong.

I've been throwing the Challenger, get this, as an "overstable putter" for years now.
My main putter is an Aviar.
I've experienced the difference, they've quite distinct flight characteristics.
The Challenger is overstable as "alleged" by the manufacturer.

The challenger really is just stable not over stable, if you noodle arm it you can think it is over stable but it really isn't. throw it next to a zone or a vp and you will see what an over stable putter is.

Putting with my Star Spider straight into the wind was rock solid.

The challenger really is just stable not over stable, if you noodle arm it you can think it is over stable but it really isn't. throw it next to a zone or a vp and you will see what an over stable putter is.

That's just it, as I said, I use the same technique regardless.
I certainly don't noodle arm it.

Isnt the Rhyno the only overstable on that list?

Challenger is a Banger without a thumb track and the Wizard is the same stablity. I carried a Banger and a Wizard today both max weight and I can tell you, the are NOT OS enough to resist the wind we had today (dont thinnk much is for todays wind). I have driven with both and when you do, you end up with a straight shot and minimal fade, which means just stable to me.

Isnt the Rhyno the only overstable on that list?

Challenger is a Banger without a thumb track and the Wizard is the same stablity. I carried a Banger and a Wizard today both max weight and I can tell you, the are NOT OS enough to resist the wind we had today (dont thinnk much is for todays wind). I have driven with both and when you do, you end up with a straight shot and minimal fade, which means just stable to me.

Yes it is, also I don't have a banger in front of me but I think a Focus is a GT-less banger, not a challenger. The banger has a bigger bead than the challenger if I remember correctly. Either way, I get the same flight out of challengers and bangers that you do.

I've thrown a wizard dead straight 250' into a 25 mph headwind. Seems pretty overstable to me. Yeah it's not a pig or rhyno. That's like saying an eagle x isn't overstable at all because you've thrown a XXX. There are different degrees of stability and all of these are on the overstable side of the pH scale.

I've thrown a wizard dead straight 250' into a 25 mph headwind. Seems pretty overstable to me. Yeah it's not a pig or rhyno. That's like saying an eagle x isn't overstable at all because you've thrown a XXX. There are different degrees of stability and all of these are on the overstable side of the pH scale.

A disc that is stable but not overstable like a pig or a rhyno is just stable. An Eagle isn't that over stable, depending on the run and plastic I could just describe it as stable also.

I know a guy who can throw an Ontario Roc into a headwind on a hyzer, does that make it an over stable disc?

An eagle x is slightly overstable while an eagle L is less so. Mr. delicious I think you may be confusing the term overstable with the term meathook. Stable is the middle; understable is what rests under that line and overstable is what rests over that line. The term overstable without qualifiers is a misleading one because so many discs rest within that broad category. For example I don't think you'd argue both the teerex and the XXX are overstable, but they both fly very differently. I get what you're saying if you think "stable" is how we refer to anything we get to fly straight, but I'm thinking of looking at the left and right sides of a flight chart and categorizing everything that way.

I think it'd be a blast to play a round with you one day and discuss terminology as we crank them out.

0 hss means stable, 1 hss meands overstable. 2 or even 4 lss just means fade IMO

A stable disc can have fade which is where I think a lot of confusion comes in to play. A wizard/Aviar BB/challenger are all stable putters but are not overstable. They still have fade when new but it is very late in the flight whereas an overstable putter like a VP or zone will fade much earlier in the flight. Another good example of stable V overstable is a new buzz versus a new Rancho roc. A new rancho roc is overstable but a new buzz is stable in it's flight.

No love for the ringer? Small and easy to hold/throw. I was money with that thing today in 50 mph. wind gusts with some sideways rain thrown in for just for s#!ts and giggles at the no foolin' tourney at Hudson Mills in Michigan. The wind was blowing putts around like it was getting paid. Except for mine...:clap:

A stable disc can have fade which is where I think a lot of confusion comes in to play. A wizard/Aviar BB/challenger are all stable putters but are not overstable. They still have fade when new but it is very late in the flight whereas an overstable putter like a VP or zone will fade much earlier in the flight. Another good example of stable V overstable is a new buzz versus a new Rancho roc. A new rancho roc is overstable but a new buzz is stable in it's flight.

Fair, I have more to learn, but may occasionally still disagree to some levels. The reality of tonight is that work is slow and I'm extremely bored.

People post on DG websites when they aren't bored/stuck inside/at work?

Usually I post inbetween holes at the course... But truthfully I don't typically have he time at work being a restaurant manager. Work is typically hectic. Not this time. Thinking about disc golf is very much an escape for me. That's why I keep a stack of buzzzs in my passenger seat, it just feels good to look at them wherever I'm going.

Usually I post inbetween holes at the course... But truthfully I don't typically have he time at work being a restaurant manager. Work is typically hectic. Not this time. Thinking about disc golf is very much an escape for me. That's why I keep a stack of buzzzs in my passenger seat, it just feels good to look at them wherever I'm going.

I worked in a couple of restaurants when I was younger so I know how busy it can get at one. Now I work as an IT database guy and I sit at a desk for 10 hours a day and look at code or wait for code to get done doing it's job. That leaves me with a ton of time to post, that and being an insomniac helps. Lots of time to post at night.

Latest posts