• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Better Get Mako

I agree that they are eerily similar is shape and feel. I found that in order to get the coyote to go straight, I had to give it a fair amount of hyzer, but the mako needs no manipulation to go straight. Seems like they have very similar lss but the mako is a much straighter disc due to it's extra hss.

Fizzy said:
When people say the Mako is "straight" what do they mean?

I've never understood this either, every disc I've ever thrown or seen thrown turns left (RHBH) eventually. Sure, it holds a line but it turns a certain way near the end or S curves...neither of which are straight

beat 11x roc is "straight". it will go w/e angle i decide to release it on. i think what most people mean when they say the Mako straight. it won't fight the direction you put it on. it wont be moving a lot off it's intended path(up/down/flexing). it won't be a stable mid that you have to muscle or torque. play with just putters and mids for a week or so, should help you understand. It is also a lot of fun when you realize that you can shoot under par on most courses with out a distance driver at all

The Mako flies like a longer stable putter. I throw the Mako like I throw my beat up wiz but it will go much longer.

All of the comparisions to the buzzz should end. The Mako is not like a buzzz or coyote. The mako is more stable than the coyote, yes the look a lot alike BUT the do not fly the same. The buzzz is more HSS and much more LSS than the mako, totally different flights.

The mako is just a true disc it will fly on the line it was thrown on. The mako does require you to have some good form to get the best out of it. So if you are still working on your form and if you are accustomed to flipping teebirds than the mako will be "flippy" for you. If you can throw a Comet you can throw the hell out of the mako. The best comparision if you must have one would be to say the Comet and Buzzz had a baby called the Mako.

zj1002 said:
well I am def going to buy one on friday. we shall see how I like it

if you want the most workablilty I would recommend a 173-174 Mako. The heavier ones will take some more nuttage but for what I like the mako for I much prefer the lighter ones. I can throw them on more lines easier than say a 177-180.

To compare to wizard flights. My 173 Mako is like a beat Wiz whereas my 177-180 Makos flew more similar to a newer wiz.

yeah i got ya. i didn't plan on getting them as heavy as my Roc's. I might go a little lighter like 170-172 but I will test them out first. I want to see if i can get a little more distance than I can with the roc's. I might see if Sundance Records has them down here, they have star plastic pretty cheap but make up for it by charging around 10 for dx. i can also find the occasional sanny sent or 11x teebird/eagle in their stash :D

zj1002 said:
I want to see if i can get a little more distance than I can with the roc's.

I doubt it. Rocs can take some more umph and will be longer, I know for me they are. However the Mako can go pretty far.

zj1002 said:
ah ok so it won't hold very well if I try to mash it

yes and no. The mako is like a power finesse disc (I hope that makes sense). You can mash into it but you have to be careful and very aware of your release angle.

I'm still thinking this sounds like a poor man's Comet but I might try one because I'm a plastic junkie

Latest posts