• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BH Throw- Pull thru your core or across your chest?

DarkAce1978

Par Member
When throwing rhbh it feels natural to me to pull across my chest similar to Avery Jenkins. I throw nice and straight with max d at 330 Ft. Most pro instructional vids recommend bending over slightly and pulling thru your core at a lower level. When I do this all kinds of odd things happen: lots of uncontrolled hyzers, less distance and slight pains in different areas of my body, like I am slightly pulling muscles because of bad form. I am almost 40 yrs old and would like to get to a max d of 360 to 380 ft. My gut feeling tells me to stay with the Jenkins form since it feels natural and rotating on 1 vertical axis would seem to have less chance of injury. If I clean up other areas of my form does that goal seem reasonable? Any opinions on these 2 throwing styles?

My opinion. From your description, it sound like you are getting most of your current distance using just your arm. After a few years of practice most people can strong arm a disc to about 300 ft. To take the next step you have to get your core involved as well as your lower body and that means working on technique. If you are extremely strong you might be able to strong arm even further but most people can't do that. I know when I pull across my chest, I feel like I am jamming myself for lack of a better term. I'm in my own way. But when I lean forward and pull through the abdomen I can feel a whole different set of muscles becoming involved....now I can use all those muscles as well as the arm to generate power.

Look at your grip too. When throwing concentrate on keeping the nose of the disc down no matter what plane you are pulling through.

Age does not really come into it as much as you'd think or pure physical strength. Also try throwing from a standstill until you get the throw mechanics right. Then add back in your x step or run up.

Thanks for the advice. I learned throwing standstill and can put putters out to to 250 ft from a standstill. I am sure I still have lots of room for improvement when it comes to my form tho. I guess my question is more about, is there something wrong with Jenkins more standup style? Can both styles lead to distance or do I really need to kind of break down my throw and follow guys like Feldbergs advice? Jenkins was a distance champ at one time.

Regardless of where you pull through, the most important factors are getting your hips engaged to get the disc into your power pocket before you pull with your arm. If you focus on keeping a tight, compact motion, ensuring the nose is down, and exploding out of the power pocket, you'll find more distance.

I'd recommend posting a video to get some feedback on your form. If you want to improve, the community here is really great at providing suggestions based on your current form. If you have a problem with your feet or getting your hips engaged, it likely won't matter if you pull across the chest or through the core.

How are your mids and drivers flying when you throw from a standstill? 250 on level ground is pretty good with a putter. I would think you'd be able to throw a mid at least 300 and a driver 350 if you can do that with a putter with your current form. And with a proper run up you should be able to get to 400 with a driver.

I think Avery pulls too high and Feldy pull too low. I'm trying for right below the armpit pull and it's been helping me. I was doing more of an Avery.

What does a fake importer, exporter architect know about disc golf anyways?

I'm stuck doing that for now. I aspire to be an architect.

"And you wanna be my latex salesman"

giphy.gif

It seems like James Conrad pulls from pretty low on his throws and it works well for him. Does anyone have a good example of a player with a perfect height that they pull through?

Is Avery's arm really that high? His reachback is super high but it seems like his upper arm/elbow gets down to the normal place, while the forearm and disc looks high because of where it started. I think McBeth's upper arm/elbow is higher than most.

If you are throwing 330' and experiencing pain trying to change things, then I'd definitely recommend starting a form thread. Feeling like you are bending over and getting more angles/axis involved doesn't sound right to me. I've been feeling like I get more and more upright the closer things get to better.

I played my first year and a half just standstill because I was healing up from some knee issues. The past 6 months I have added an xstep walk up. I still have trouble with weight shifting, timing and leading fully with my elbow. I am also having trouble with cutting and uploading videos in between having a family of 6 but one of these days I will get the whole youtube thing figured out and post a form vid. Thanks for all the advice! I totally believe there is 1 true technique to unlocking distance but it does seem to vary somewhat from pro player to pro player.

Yeah it looks different between the pro's but for the most part they are doing the same fundamental things. I still don't get how Feldberg throws like that, but I guess that's how I'd swing a golf club so it makes some sense. Some guys like Drew Gibson or Jeremy Koling I think have more vanilla looking forms that are easier to see the basics in, and Drew Gibson throws super far. Any time you start getting into the "this guy has his arm/knee like ___" situations those are harder to replicate unless there is a reason I guess.

I'd definitely look into the shift from behind stuff/crush the can to make sure you are transferring and catching your weight correctly. One leg drill is also a good way to feel the balance without risk of torque. When you are doing this correctly your body counterweights itself and you won't feel pressure on your knees.

If you want distance you have to move to throwing from your cheat to throwing from your core. Avery has huge hands that can squeeze water straight from the coconut, the rest of us can't physically do it. I think the natural feeling comes from wanting to throw the disc higher in the air which leads to a higher pull through. Try reaching back around belt level and then pulling through only about 6 inches higher. It'll feel like you're throwing it straight down, but it works.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

When i used to try the lower reach nack and what not it lead to nose up **** throws intermittently. Averys form is a little too much also. What changed everything for me was learning doss's form/technique (which is kinda similiar to barry schultz also). I have to reach back way less and explode way more leading to way more distance and hitting lines on a rope. I believe he is one of the best off the tee (doss) , if only his putting could keep up with ricki and paul

Late/tired/bad post, but do look into Swedish style vs.

I throw "Swedish style" and anyone who has seen me drive won't argue. Sure I can fine tune it plenty, (and learn to putt better), but it serves me and others well. Skip to 50ish seconds if you want, otherwise watch the whole comparison:

Blake_T quote because why not:

Originally Posted by Blake_T
the two primary styles (i'm making these terms up right now):
1. "American" technique.
2. "Swedish" technique.

the main difference between these two styles is the focus of the power base. american technique uses the kinetic biomechanics to generate its power, with the ideal being elbow extension. swedish technique uses much less elbow extension but tons of leverage on the outer edge of the disc.

Brad W.'s idea of throwing a stick/hammer vs. throwing a disc pretty much describes the primary determinant of swedish power. swedish power is based upon being able to lever the shiz out of the edge of the disc opposite the hand and find a way to translate the absurd amount of angular velocity/acceleration as the disc pivots out of the hand during wrist extension.

the current swedish technique derives heavily from Tomas Ekstrom's form.

american technique also uses leverage, but it is not dominated by leverage in the same way.
american technique can basically be broken down into 2 primary categories and one subcategory:
1. bent elbow (and derivations of it, probably most commonly found in carolina)
2. long reach back.
2a. folded shoulder rotation.
2b. spinal axis rotation.

2a. and 2b. both derive power in the same basic way, but the presentation of it differs slightly. however, most folded shoulder throwers are hyzer dominant and most spinal axis throwers are anhyzer dominant. in truth, pure hyzer mechanics use a folded shoulder and pure anhyzer mechanics use a spinal axis, what makes these two differ enough in styles to be noted is how they throw during a FLAT throw.

as for bent elbow vs. reach back, it's probably best compared to the differences in a wrist shot vs. a slap shot in hockey.

bent elbow throwing is efficient and it's easier to hit all of it. if you flub it, you flub it bad.
reach back throwing is less efficient but has greater power potential if you hit all/most of it. it's easier to flub it, but the diminished output during flubs depends on how bad you flubbed it.

the big thing is that long throwing bent elbow throwers and long throwing reach back throwers (as well as long throwing swedes) have more in common during the important parts of throw than they have differences.

the main differentiation between reach back throwers and bent elbow throwers (even those that use some reach back) is this:
-with a reach back throw the angle formed between the upper arm and the shoulder/chest collapses at the start of rotation and extends entering the power zone.
-with a bent elbow throw the angle formed between the upper arm and the shoulder/chest is constant at the start of rotation and doesn't extend until well into the power zone.

my point in writing all that?

what happens with the disc/arm during the final 12" of the throw is exactly the same for everyone throwing 500'.

Last edited:
I have a fairly high pull-thru and can throw over 400 feet, it might not be perfect form but it works ok for me. If you can throw a putter 250 feet you probably already have the power to throw 360'-380'. My guess is you might have some nose angle issues or your throwing too overstable of a disc(you should try a ~170g Pro Wraith.)