• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Cats Bag

BigCat11

Here is my situation. I have been playing seriously for almost a year now and I'm starting to figure out what I like to throw. So the question is, am I throwing too many molds? If I am overlapping what are some suggestions.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: <1 Year
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: Right-Handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, Forehand, OH
Golf Distance (avg/max) for putter/mid/driver: Aviars: 250/290; Rocs: 275/350'; Destroyer: 375/450+

Optional:
Sex: M
Other sport proficiencies?: Baseball, Ultimate
Additional Information: I carry a lot of different disc for different shots, flick, thumbers, tomahawks, etc. Also I'm getting serious about improving my game and general competition/pdga events.

Bag:

Distance Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
175 Star Katana , (fairly new) - tailwind driver for D
175 Star Destroyer, (fairly new) Hyzer bombs, flex shots
175 Star Destroyer, (beat) Straight
172 Champ Wraith, (Slightly beat) long straight shots, slight annys
172 S-PD (used) Consistent Driver
175 P-PD (beat) Anhyzers and turnovers
171 Sidewinder (used) Rollers/huge annys
175 Champ Ape (new) Flicks

Fairway Drivers
175 Opto XXX, Distance Thumbs
175 Champ Firebird (slightly worn) Utility Disc
172 Champ Eagle X(fairly new) Straight/Slow hyzers
173 Z Stalker (used) Dead Straight

Mids:
180 SM Roc (used) - Oldest Roc, Rarely used
180 KC Pro Roc (new) Straight shots with hyzer finish
180 Star Coyote (used) Dead Straight with little fade, turnovers with power
177 HPP Gateway Warrior (New) Stable Mid, skips and hyzer mid shots
175 Opto Fuse (New) Anny Shots, Turnovers
177 Glo Z Buzz (New) Whatever line I put it on,

Putters:
175 SS Voodoo, (beat) - main putter
175 Organic Voodoo (slight beat)- Back up
175 SSS Voodoo (Very beat)- Anny upshots
175 Glo Aviar (old and worn) Annys, jump putts, straight drives, all shots!
175 KC Pro Aviar (New) Stable Putter from tee box

Give me some feedback on reducing molds or overlapping.

Last edited:
Crushed it!

Think you need to add in a gateway magic. That is guaranteed to solve your problems!!!! I am with u man, I think I throw too much as well. Someone help us! Sonny where are you?

Yea well with Putters I feel OK, aviars for drivers and upshots, Voodoos for insidethechains (ITC) but I'm throwing 5 molds of mids right now... and the reason... I don't really have one. :(

Looks to me like a really heavy bag, but hey, you're 23. Your knees probably don't hurt yet, unless maybe you played catcher through high school and college baseball. :)

Looks like you're using Avairs as driving putters and you're actually putting with the Voodoos. Have you tried throwing the Voodoos from the tee? That might be a way to reduce the putters in your bag if they work for you.

You also might consider using either the Coyote or the Buzzz, but that's just at a first glance. Another idea might be to really beat up a Roc or two and replace both the Coyote and the Buzzz with that.

What's funny is I thought, from the title of the thread, that you had a bag full of discs like the Leopard, Cheetah, etc. :)

with my little knowledge of innova I would actually say the ape for flicks seems useless to carry right now if you have a destroyer for big hyzers. The Glo buzzz seems useless just from your other mids im sure one can do its job and the glo aviar OR SSS Voodoo is useless. seems like 1 can do the job of both. But from my experience id say the glo aviar should go, bc the voodoos ive thrown have awesome glide.

Here is my situation. I have been playing seriously for almost a year now and I'm starting to figure out what I like to throw. So the question is, am I throwing too many molds? If I am overlapping what are some suggestions.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: <1 Year
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: Right-Handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, Forehand, OH
Golf Distance (avg/max) for putter/mid/driver: Aviars: 250/290; Rocs: 275/350'; Destroyer: 375/450+

Optional:
Sex: M
Other sport proficiencies?: Baseball, Ultimate
Additional Information: I carry a lot of different disc for different shots, flick, thumbers, tomahawks, etc. Also I'm getting serious about improving my game and general competition/pdga events.

Bag:

Distance Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
175 Star Katana , (fairly new) - tailwind driver for D
175 Star Destroyer, (fairly new) Hyzer bombs, flex shots
175 Star Destroyer, (beat) Straight
172 Champ Wraith, (Slightly beat) long straight shots, slight annys
172 S-PD (used) Consistent Driver
175 P-PD (beat) Anhyzers and turnovers
171 Sidewinder (used) Rollers/huge annys- This shot should be able to be covered with the P-PD with your distance
175 Champ Ape (new) Flicks

Fairway Drivers
175 Opto XXX, Distance Thumbs
175 Champ Firebird (slightly worn) Utility Disc- I would either stick to the XXX or the FB but you should be able to cover all the same shots with either one. The FB will be more useful BH/FH, but the XXX will probably be better for Thumbers. I'd pick one and stick with it, until you start to really miss the other, but my guess is you won't.
172 Champ Eagle X(fairly new) Straight/Slow hyzers
173 Z Stalker (used) Dead Straight

Mids:
180 SM Roc (used) - Oldest Roc, Rarely used- Drop it, you can cover this shot with the Buzzz or Coyote
180 KC Pro Roc (new) Straight shots with hyzer finish
180 Star Coyote (used) Dead Straight with little fade, turnovers with power- I'd leave this in until the Buzzz is beat a little, then drop it.
177 HPP Gateway Warrior (New) Stable Mid, skips and hyzer mid shots
175 Opto Fuse (New) Anny Shots, Turnovers
177 Glo Z Buzz (New) Whatever line I put it on,
For the KC Roc and Warrior, I'd pick one of those b/c you should be able to get the same shots and lines from either. I'd go with the Warrior b/c it will break in a little slower.

Putters:
175 SS Voodoo, (beat) - main putter
175 Organic Voodoo (slight beat)- Back up
175 SSS Voodoo (Very beat)- Anny upshots
175 Glo Aviar (old and worn) Annys, jump putts, straight drives, all shots!
175 KC Pro Aviar (New) Stable Putter from tee box
I'd pick either the Voodoo or the Aviar and stick with one for both drives and upshots, or use the SS Voodoo and the two Aviars and drop the OG Voodoo and the SSS. That's hard for me to say considering I throw Voodoos.

Give me some feedback on reducing molds or overlapping.

This should clean up you bag and simplify your choices when you throw, that way you can focus more on the lines rather than the discs.

I really appreciate the great feedback JDW, thats exactly the type of information I was looking for. I'll give some attempts at those and see how my game holds up.

As someone who switched from Glo Aviars to Voodoos I can safely tell you that they both do an equally good job covering the same bases. You have to throw them a tad bit different (there was an adjustment period for me) but I'd pick one or the other just for the fact that they feel so different in hand and require slightly different throws for similar shots (in terms of power and angle of release).

I would pair Voodoos with Wizards or Aviar P&A's with KC Pro or Aviar Driver molds. Either pairing will cover all of your bases for shots with a putter.

I also think the Coyote and the Fuse kinda do the same thing, as well as the Roc and Warrior...but that's just me, if you've got reason to have them all then more power to ya. My bag is mid and putter heavy as well.

I'm leaning towards taking out the fuse and the SM Roc, the Roc doesn't really have any place anymore for me, I have other disc that do a better job. I'm leaning towards Coyote, Buzz, Warrior for my mids. The Glo buzz I have is extrememly flat and overstable, for a buzz.

As for putters I think I'll pick up some stiff Wizards and see how they work out off the tee.

Also the reason for having the XXX is for distance off the tee. I'm looking for a flat top 11x firebird that could possibly serve that purpose. But for now I can justify them both, what I have now serves as a utlity disc for tomahawks, flick, thumbs, bh, almost everything. It just doesn't have the distance as the XXX.

yeah the glo buzzz are beefy..i carry one thats uber flat as my overstable mid..but i only throw buzzz for mids.. two barstamps elite-z and a glo and they can cover everything

The only Roc I've ever been consistent with is that KC Pro, so there is really no reason keeping the mold just because so many people are in love with them. Preference!:cool:

I know peeps love their destroyers, but you might want to try a champ boss. It will give you just a little more distance. If you are legitimately pulling a 450+ golf line, you can probably add at least 10 with a Boss which puts you up to 460+, so around 470. That's like world class distance comp distance on a golf line. Distance isn't everything, but a 470 golf line will be noticed for sure.

And for what it's worth your Roc comments are pretty astute if you ask me.

Oh.....and if you are setting up to be a buzzzaholic I would commit to the buzzz for mrre mid duties. Maybe even pick up a lighter cryztal or something to replace the coyote. I think you could (right now) pick between the fuse and the coyote.

I am not as big a thrower as you are d-wise, but I look at my drivers in terms of stability this way:
Fairway under stable, fairway straight, fairway overstable.
distance under stable, distance straight, distance overstable.

If you start there then add a couple of utility discs you will end up with fewer discs. Like a flick disc will usually fill one of the above overstable categories. That isn't a perfect solution, but I think it is a good point of reference. Plus it simplifies my disc selection. I'm of the opinion that if you have too many discs that do too similar things that you end up limiting your ability to work each disc.

I know peeps love their destroyers, but you might want to try a champ boss. It will give you just a little more distance. If you are legitimately pulling a 450+ golf line, you can probably add at least 10 with a Boss which puts you up to 460+, so around 470. That's like world class distance comp distance on a golf line. Distance isn't everything, but a 470 golf line will be noticed for sure.

And for what it's worth your Roc comments are pretty astute if you ask me.

First off, nice word drop with "astute"...impressive. And secondly 450+ is max D for me. I've hit it, possibly further, but I'm working on the consistency reaching that mark. As for the boss I've had a few ranging from R-Pro to Star, but I've never really liked them. I think the rim is too big for me, idk :/

I'm just trying to cut down from throwing 16+ molds in my bag. And I've also tried a use a formula similar to what you suggested.

Distance Drivers: (Overstable) (Straight) (Understable)
Utility: (Utility) (Utility)
Fairway Drivers: (Overstable) (Straight) (Understable)
Mids: (OS/Straight)(Straight/US)
Putters: (Tee Putters)(Basket Putters)

Not perfect, but how I look at it.

I'm with JDW. I think a Fuse would complement a Buzzz a little bit better than a Coyote b/c the Coyote has a very rounded rim and is dissimilar to a Buzzz rim. I like to keep my rim profiles fairly consistent feeling, so on those lines I think a ESP Zone, Buzzz, Fuse/Meteor combo works great.

I think you could easily drop the Aviars and use an Evo HPP, M, or S Voodoo for drives.

I know it's the new flavor of the month right now but I really don't like the super fast understable discs like the Katana/Vulcan, they're so nose angle sensitive that it's a gamble if the wind kicks up. I'd much throw a lighter or beat Destroyer or Wraith. A Pro Wraith can do that shot out the box very well.

Granted my pro wraiths are first run, but they come Bach much earlier than the Star Katana. Maybe they've changed, though. The older pro plastic was stiffer.

So I took the katana, ape, and stalker out of the bag as well as a few more disc. Adding a Wraith, a couple Firebirds (Thumbs, Flicks), another lighter Coyote, and a Stiffer Voodoo. Still not perfect but it shot a couple of 970+ rated rounds over the weekend.

Decent Modifications

Alright so after the feedback I got from everyone here I made the best attempt possible at listen and trying out the suggestions. Here is what my bag is now:

175 Champ Xcal (Headwind drives, distance flicks)-Used
175 Star Destroyer (Long distance flexs shots)-Fairly New
172 Star Destroyer (Same as above, better for tailwinds)-Fairly New
175 Glow Champ Destroyer (More OS than the two star Ds)
172 S-Line PD (Stable Driver)-Slightly beat
175 P-Line PD (Annys/flips)-Beat to Crap
173 P-Line PD (Straight)-New
175 Champ Eagle-X (Straight Fairway Driver)-New
2x175 Glow Champ Firebird (Distance Thumbs/Flicks)
175 Champ Firebird (Short Thumbers/Flicks)

180 Champ Glow Coyote (brand new...nothing but straight)
180 Star Coyote (Beat in..Long anny's...more glide)
176 Flat Champ Coyote (More OS than the two others for some reason)
177 HPP Warrior (Hyzer Midrange shots with +skip)
180 Star Gator (Utility Mid)

4 Voodoos
2 Wizards

On a side not I do carry a few other disc for experimenting.
171 Katana-I throw this disc 480+ (No that is not a lie)
KC Roc- Ehh nothing special to me
Glow Aviar- Super beat, only for monster anny's

So this being typed, I was wondering if there were any gaps or overlaps even now after changing things up. Am I lacking in the fairway driver area?

i could maybe see adding in a Leo or Eagle-L for fairway but you could also just prob power down on your p-pd..but all n all i thinkn it looks solid dude