• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Hyzer Bag- Ergo

Ya I want to like it but I just cant. I didnt get a Grip for the very reason that everybody and their dog has one. I think I understand why now.
I am curious to know if I just got a bad bag. it looks like others have much more room in the bottom than mine. I just cant help but wonder if these aren't exactly what they wanted to ship out but with all the delays they just said 'Oh well'.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the prototypes have a bit more room to spare...which I think is tbirds, Schick's, Will's and Sarah's. Tbird, correct me if I'm wrong there.

I was in the same boat before I got my Grip. Didn't want to be with "the heard", but there is a reason there's a heard.

The bottom space is cramped on mine as well, but I can get discs in and out of the vertical slots just fine. I think subsequent runs of this bag will be sweet, but you cannot go wrong with a Grip.

Not sure what everyone's problem is with this bag. I love mine. Yes there are a few little things that I would change, but that's the same with every bag I have owned. The few things that I would change; are the material the bottom is made of doesn't seem that durable, I wish it had a better handle on the top, and the water bottle setup is a bit funky. Now as far as the bottle, I found a sweet bottle at Kroger that looks like an old canteen that is awesome and fits perfect. As far as storage, mine has way more than I need. I can fit 25 discs, a retriever, sun screen, a few towels, an extra pair if socks, a light jacket, an extra shirt, a water bottle, and other odds and ends.
As far as getting discs out I have no problem at all.
This is just my two cents, but again I love my bag.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes the hype can be built up so much on a pre-order item that you almost convince yourself it's all you expected (I'm guilty here too). I wanted to try the Ergo because it seems like there is so much potential, but after seeing a video of the discs bending as you take them out (don't remember people complaining about that), the mesh pocket ripping, the frame coming apart, and a few other concerns I'm thinking the 2nd run may be the better option.

I really hope BHB looks at the concerns some Ergo owners have had with the release because it seems like this bag needs just a few tweaks to be pretty awesome.

BTW, the Grip is the best selling backpack for a reason. I just dumped $225 into a Spinal Tap (which I really like), and I still may end up using my Grip. The people who are clamoring that it's just "trendy" to get a Grip bag...have never owned one, are jealous of people who have them and or just can't afford the $200-250 tag (albeit, too steep IMO...but still worth it)

Also, Kudos for FedEx for finding the address linked to the PO Box....shame on BHB for not catching that though.

On the Grip bag, which I have the A Series, i have stuffed a hoodie in one of the side pockets, but that is about all I can squeeze in it. Are you able to put a hoodie elsewhere more comfortably?

Not sure what everyone's problem is with this bag. I love mine. Yes there are a few little things that I would change, but that's the same with every bag I have owned. The few things that I would change; are the material the bottom is made of doesn't seem that durable, I wish it had a better handle on the top, and the water bottle setup is a bit funky. Now as far as the bottle, I found a sweet bottle at Kroger that looks like an old canteen that is awesome and fits perfect. As far as storage, mine has way more than I need. I can fit 25 discs, a retriever, sun screen, a few towels, an extra pair if socks, a light jacket, an extra shirt, a water bottle, and other odds and ends.

I would love to see 25 discs and all the other stuff go into the bag. where are you putting a light jacket, and extra shirt?
I actually got this bag to not carry a lot, but still interested in your set up

I would love to see 25 discs and all the other stuff go into the bag. where are you putting a light jacket, and extra shirt?
I actually got this bag to not carry a lot, but still interested in your set up

You can fit 20 in the main compartment, four in the outer front pocket, and one in the webbing. That leaves the inner front pocket for stuff. That's completely feasible.

On the Grip bag, which I have the A Series, i have stuffed a hoodie in one of the side pockets, but that is about all I can squeeze in it. Are you able to put a hoodie elsewhere more comfortably?

I'm not a big guy, but I can fit a medium sized hoodie in my side pockets, but there isn't room for anything else. No other place for storage on the Grip though. Especially since I use the top pocket for more putters. I have a L series btw

Seconded. Every bag has tradeoffs. With my old Grip, it was great for disc storage but not for "stuff" storage. The bottom and handle were great, as were the water bottlw holders.

On the Ergo, the handle does totally suck. However, I have no problem with water bottles and can carry way more stuff than in the Grip. Also, the Ergo feels lighter and less bulky.

If I could take the vertical design and storage of the Ergo and combine it with the finishes of the Grip, it would be perfect for me.

Now as far as the bottle, I found a sweet bottle at Kroger that looks like an old canteen that is awesome and fits perfect.

What is the capacity of this canteen of which you speak?

I don't quite get the angst either. It is certainly "different", but I love mine. The straps and back are so well-padded and the bag so narrow that I hardly feel it during rounds. When skinnylimbs let me try his Grip for a round, I couldn't wait for it to be over so I could get back to the Ergo. It felt weird having so much area against my back.

The bottle I found at Kroger looks basically the same as the nalgene but with a different lid. As far as my set up ill try to out together a video tonight after I get back home.

I am not worried about it anymore since I've started tucking in the tongue. Since I'm carrying less discs than the slots will hold, I just don't need it. I do wish I had access to the two tongue pockets on occasion though.

Did you post pics of the bungee method anyhwere though? I'd be interested to see how well it works.

I'm thinking about running a couple grommets on a side zipper pocket and building something out of paracord and some hooks to support an umbrella. I don't have a lot of confidence that the velcro strap at the top and the handle tucked into the open side pockets will keep it in place when the wind starts blowing. Perhaps I should try it first before cutting holes into my new bag.

I'm also working on a detachable water bottle pocket that slides into a side pocket to free up space for putting discs in there.
Hey tbird88,
I have some pics of the bungy cord set up on my page. It's in the "orc" album. Sorry that as far as I could get with my limited computer skills, but the are at least on this website! A major step for me! lol!!

Ya I want to like it but I just cant. I didnt get a Grip for the very reason that everybody and their dog has one. I think I understand why now.
I am curious to know if I just got a bad bag. it looks like others have much more room in the bottom than mine. I just cant help but wonder if these aren't exactly what they wanted to ship out but with all the delays they just said 'Oh well'.
I wasn't to thrilled with my bag at all, but since I changed the disc configuration. It functions pretty well. I have 15 on the bottom of the bag in a vertical possition and 9 in the hoeizontal possition. I have 8 in the top 2 sleeves and 1 in the 3rd sleeve (that all that will fit in the 3rd, because of the vertical discs). The front pocket fits the majority of my stuff, but the 2nd fits little since the discs on the bottom press down on it. I did fit 2 in the flap (putter), but can't use the 2nd pocket if I want to close the flap. Water bottles haven't been a problem for me. Yes, the side pockets are a waste for sure. I dig the comfort and how small this bag is, but can still fit a ton of discs. I think the base design/idea is very sound. It just need some tweeking to it. I was ready to off this bag, but when I switched the disc configuration. It changed my mind. It's nice not to have this huge monster jet pack strapped to my back.
However, the new Grip just showed up....sooooo stay tuned lol!!

I was curious as well, so I found this:

32oz Nalgene canteen

Oooh...nice. The way my side pockets have stretched, I am able to fit a Nalgene in the outer side pocket with a disc in the inner. It is very tight and feels like it would warp/damage the disc. The canteen might just be the answer to the disc and water problem...

Thank you for the link!

Oooh...nice. The way my side pockets have stretched, I am able to fit a Nalgene in the outer side pocket with a disc in the inner. It is very tight and feels like it would warp/damage the disc. The canteen might just be the answer to the disc and water problem...

Thank you for the link!

If you end up buying it, let me know how it works, particularly with a Pure since I know you throw them too. :thmbup:

Is it weird that I go in my garage and play with configurations on my bag when I am bored...?

Is it weird that I go in my garage and play with configurations on my bag when I am bored...?

Is it weird that I don't even own one of these bags (yet) and play with different configurations? I have gone so far as to draw it out...