• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Hyzer Bag- Ergo

The capacity of it doesn't worry me at all. Heck, right now I'm carrying a Fade Crunch Box packed with 16 total discs. I would like something to carry a few more, but more importantly a place to store a change of clothes for when playing after work.

That definitely makes sense. The open compartment is large, but you'd probably have trouble if you packed the main compartment full.

That definitely makes sense. The open compartment is large, but you'd probably have trouble if you packed the main compartment full.

If he kept it to 16 in the main I think he could easily store a change of clothes in the bottom. I haven't stuffes mine yet, but Back o' da Bus had his packed with a towel, large hoodie, beanie and more. That would still leave the front pocket for backup discs.

Is the bag perfect? No. Is any, though? This is a really good offering that will differentiate the bag market.

And tbird, I didn't think your review was too negative. It was clear you were trying to be objective, and you brought up some flaws. Nothing wrong with that. I'd like to see BH make the same fixes (in addition to adding some kind of organization to the large pocket).

Well after watching your review tbird I realized my rainfly was sewn in wrong side out. I kind of thought it was because one side looks more durable than the other shiny side. My tether is sewed to the more durable looking side. Hope that makes since. So I will have to cut it to at least turn it around the right way. :)

Is the bag perfect? No. Is any, though? This is a really good offering that will differentiate the bag market.

And tbird, I didn't think your review was too negative. It was clear you were trying to be objective, and you brought up some flaws. Nothing wrong with that. I'd like to see BH make the same fixes (in addition to adding some kind of organization to the large pocket).

I'm glad I didn't come off as disappointed. It definitely wasn't the case.

I think they should also add some extra material to the side pockets to give them a little more room. It won't happen but a key clip would be a nice touch as well.

I'm glad I didn't come off as disappointed. It definitely wasn't the case.

I think they should also add some extra material to the side pockets to give them a little more room. It won't happen but a key clip would be a nice touch as well.

Totally agree. I think I am going to be putting my keys in the rain fly pocket because they feel more secure there.

I would also like to see a pocket on the inside of the large compartment - like on the side that is slanted toward the back of the bag - where you could easily store your wallet or phone without it falling back into the abyss.

Totally agree. I think I am going to be putting my keys in the rain fly pocket because they feel more secure there.

I would also like to see a pocket on the inside of the large compartment - like on the side that is slanted toward the back of the bag - where you could easily store your wallet or phone without it falling back into the abyss.

A holster would be awesome! My phone fits perfectly in the side pocket, but I'd love to keep my wallet in a more private spot. I constantly checked the side pocket zippers in Charlotte.

Have you started thinking about mods yet?

Last edited:
A holster would be awesome! My phone fits perfectly in the side pocket, but I'd love to keep my wallet in a more private spot. I constantly checked the side pocket zippers in Charlotte.

Have you started thinking about mods yet?

I'm not a huge modder, but I think I am going to cut out the rainfly and attach some velcro to it. I'll keep it out most of the time and only put it in if the weather is looking like it's gonna be rough. I want to leave a bit of the ribbon in the pocket, then attach velcro to the inside of the pocket, too, so I can make a little key loop to attach stuff to that way. Does this make any sense?

(Also, when I say "I" will do this, I mean my wife :thmbup: )

I definitely like the idea of keeping keys in there. It's a nice sized pocket.

You're making sense. I was thinking about splitting the strap and putting the velcro just a little past where it crosses the front of the bag. That way I will be able to separate it when I need to get a disc. I'll have to put another velcro piece in the pouch to keep it out of the way when not in use though.

Was my review too negative? I realized, watching it earlier today to make sure it uploaded correctly, that I barely mentioned any of what I liked about the bag. The last thing I want is people to watch it and think "so glad I didn't make that mistake". It really is a great bag, and I couldn't wait to refill and use mine after the round I spent with the Grip (not to take anything away from the bag - it was nice the round I used it).

I would love a handle, the two outside side pockets to be full length, and mini and pencil pockets added in place of the webbing on the front of the outside front pocket. While I would like a wider strap on the lumbar piece, I probably won't use it again until I go back to the mountains. That's going to be a while.

I really like your tongue clip idea. That would definitely keep it from sliding down onto the ground. I was thinking about using safety pins to keep the zippers in place.

I don't know how many discs you're planning to carry, but I actually have room for a fifth (almost a sixth) driver in the top slot. That puts 20 in the main compartment. That's competitive with the other bags in their class. Throw another four in the outside front pocket, and you're at 24. Implement your tongue solution, and that's two more to bring you to 26. That still leaves the inside front pocket for stuff. I honestly haven't had any problems using the top of the bag as a handle so it's probably not as big a deal as I made it out to be. They might as well omit the school backpack handle they have now though.
Hey tbird888,
I used a small gauge bungy cord (32") to keep the flap up. It sits just under the top pad for your back and comes around the sides, but doesn' mess with the side mesh pockets. I then crossed them over and placed the hooks into the eye's of the zippers. It kept the flap up, but you have to lower it or take it off to get to the bottom discs if you place them horizontally. I put them vertically on the bottom so it took some manipulating to get them out. I've since stopped using the bungy cord though. I only need to use one pocket on the flap, so it clips closed now.
If some people are in need of disc space the combo of placing discs vertical and horizontal works great! I can't belive I have 27 discs in this bag! Fantastic design, but deff needs some tweeking with the pockets and the flap (if you want to use both pockets and close it)

Can you put discs in the bottom horizontally and still tuck in the flap?

Hey tbird888,
I used a small gauge bungy cord (32") to keep the flap up. It sits just under the top pad for your back and comes around the sides, but doesn' mess with the side mesh pockets. I then crossed them over and placed the hooks into the eye's of the zippers. It kept the flap up, but you have to lower it or take it off to get to the bottom discs if you place them horizontally. I put them vertically on the bottom so it took some manipulating to get them out. I've since stopped using the bungy cord though. I only need to use one pocket on the flap, so it clips closed now.
If some people are in need of disc space the combo of placing discs vertical and horizontal works great! I can't belive I have 27 discs in this bag! Fantastic design, but deff needs some tweeking with the pockets and the flap (if you want to use both pockets and close it)

I am not worried about it anymore since I've started tucking in the tongue. Since I'm carrying less discs than the slots will hold, I just don't need it. I do wish I had access to the two tongue pockets on occasion though.

Did you post pics of the bungee method anyhwere though? I'd be interested to see how well it works.

I'm thinking about running a couple grommets on a side zipper pocket and building something out of paracord and some hooks to support an umbrella. I don't have a lot of confidence that the velcro strap at the top and the handle tucked into the open side pockets will keep it in place when the wind starts blowing. Perhaps I should try it first before cutting holes into my new bag.

I'm also working on a detachable water bottle pocket that slides into a side pocket to free up space for putting discs in there.

I am not worried about it anymore since I've started tucking in the tongue. Since I'm carrying less discs than the slots will hold, I just don't need it. I do wish I had access to the two tongue pockets on occasion though.

Did you post pics of the bungee method anyhwere though? I'd be interested to see how well it works.

I'm thinking about running a couple grommets on a side zipper pocket and building something out of paracord and some hooks to support an umbrella. I don't have a lot of confidence that the velcro strap at the top and the handle tucked into the open side pockets will keep it in place when the wind starts blowing. Perhaps I should try it first before cutting holes into my new bag.

I'm also working on a detachable water bottle pocket that slides into a side pocket to free up space for putting discs in there.
No pics yet. When I get back into town on thurday. I'll have my gf do it. Since I have no clue on how to do it (post pics from a camera).

I've got one of these heading my way as we speak. Any idea how these ride on a gentleman of larger stature?

I'm 6'0/ 240lb and it rides fine on me. The chest strap was useless for me, so I removed it.

Can you put discs in the bottom horizontally and still tuck in the flap?

It is a little tricky but possible. I was able to tuck it and then fill the bottom horizontally. It is a bit of a hassle that way and the vertical alignment holds everything I carry so I don't do it. Also I haven't found using the plastic clip to access the bag to be a hassle at all.

To be honest Im not all that impressed with this bag so far. It is harder to get discs in and out than I like. I tried a few different configurations. Discs arent easy to get out of bottom if you use more than just the top sleeve.
In the pictures and video of Brad Schick's bag it looks like his bottom compartment is a lot deeper than mine. And the frame is so narrow from left to right that it is wearing of the plastic on my putters and it takes 1 hand on the bag to keep the bag from lifting off the ground when I grab them.
Also the water bottle holders push into the discs on bottom and you cant grab the disc closest to the water bottle without a hassle. You can only really put 1 putter in the side pockets unless you want to take both out everytime. The rainfly is so bunched up that your discs in the top sleeve catch on it. The side pockets are TINY. I can barely get my Iphone in the side and its not even that big. :(

In the end the only way to set up this bag is horizontally but the last 2 sleeves are just basically setting a stack of discs in there.

This bag was definitely not developed by people who play a lot of disc golf. It seems like it was made to be an alternative to traditional back pack bags. I know now that I will just be joining everyone else and I will get a grip bag.

The only positive thing I can say is it is comfortable on my back

Also, They let me check out with a PO Box shipping address and I guess that Fedex doesnt ship to PO Boxes when I got a call from my old neighbor who had my package today. I guess Fedex got my previous mailing address from the Post office and it was sent to my old address but luckily they knew I had lived there and that their neighbor and I were friends. Otherwise its return to sender.

Last edited:
To be honest Im not all that impressed with this bag so far. It is harder to get discs in and out than I like. I tried a few different configurations. Discs arent easy to get out of bottom if you use more than just the top sleeve.
In the pictures and video of Brad Schick's bag it looks like his bottom compartment is a lot deeper than mine. And the frame is so narrow from left to right that it is wearing of the plastic on my putters and it takes 1 hand on the bag to keep the bag from lifting off the ground when I grab them.
Also the water bottle holders push into the discs on bottom and you cant grab the disc closest to the water bottle without a hassle. You can only really put 1 putter in the side pockets unless you want to take both out everytime. The rainfly is so bunched up that your discs in the top sleeve catch on it. The side pockets are TINY. I can barely get my Iphone in the side and its not even that big. :(

In the end the only way to set up this bag is horizontally but the last 2 sleeves are just basically setting a stack of discs in there.

This bag was definitely not developed by people who play a lot of disc golf. It seems like it was made to be an alternative to traditional back pack bags. I know now that I will just be joining everyone else and I will get a grip bag.

Also, They let me check out with a PO Box shipping address and I guess that Fedex doesnt ship to PO Boxes when I got a call from my old neighbor who had my package today. I guess Fedex got my previous mailing address from the Post office and it was sent to my old address but luckily they knew I had lived there and that their neighbor and I were friends. Otherwise its return to sender.

Maybe you can return it and not have to pay much of a restocking fee. I am glad I got my order cancelled and got 100% of my money returned to me.

Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes the hype can be built up so much on a pre-order item that you almost convince yourself it's all you expected (I'm guilty here too). I wanted to try the Ergo because it seems like there is so much potential, but after seeing a video of the discs bending as you take them out (don't remember people complaining about that), the mesh pocket ripping, the frame coming apart, and a few other concerns I'm thinking the 2nd run may be the better option.

I really hope BHB looks at the concerns some Ergo owners have had with the release because it seems like this bag needs just a few tweaks to be pretty awesome.

BTW, the Grip is the best selling backpack for a reason. I just dumped $225 into a Spinal Tap (which I really like), and I still may end up using my Grip. The people who are clamoring that it's just "trendy" to get a Grip bag...have never owned one, are jealous of people who have them and or just can't afford the $200-250 tag (albeit, too steep IMO...but still worth it)

Also, Kudos for FedEx for finding the address linked to the PO Box....shame on BHB for not catching that though.

Ya I want to like it but I just cant. I didnt get a Grip for the very reason that everybody and their dog has one. I think I understand why now.
I am curious to know if I just got a bad bag. it looks like others have much more room in the bottom than mine. I just cant help but wonder if these aren't exactly what they wanted to ship out but with all the delays they just said 'Oh well'.