• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Hyzer Bag- Ergo

I saw one at a tournament this past weekend in Birmingham. It looked different than the one pictured in that the bottle holders stuck out more on each side and were thickly insulated. Idk if it was a proto or a change in the final product but I liked the version I saw a lot.

I think that was an earlier prototype. Their lead-up pictures show those kind of bottle holders, but that's not how they are now.

Bottom portion will be annoying to access for those that throw a wide range of discs per round. the main compartment will not to be unzipped and zipped almost every time you put it on your back. access to the bag with the rain guard will expose the inside of your bag. Where are you supposed to put your things? in the exposed mesh pocket? sorry but I don't want my valuables completely exposed to everyone like that.

As you can see in the picture, 12 discs can fit in the upper portion and 4 in the putter pocket. I doubt a lot of people will need to use more discs than that in 1 round, and if you do, you deserve to be punished by being inconvenienced to reach into the lower part of your bag.

As far as the rain guard, what bag doesn't get wet when you lift it to get discs out?

And I would think there would be plenty of room in the lower portion for other stuff if you only need to carry 16 discs in the upper part and putter pocket.

It is good to see a company taking features from high-quality hiking backpacks. Namely the waist strap to carry weight on hips rather than shoulders for long walks or mountain courses and the frame for efficient waist distribution to the lumbar.

I built a bag I am quite happy with, but if I was in the market I would be interested in this one. I could probably carry all my discs in the slots and have room for a jacket in the bottom.

People keep forgetting about the golf mahal. Wake911. I carry all the stuff you mentioned and more! When I don't I sinch up the side pockets.

It is good to see a company taking features from high-quality hiking backpacks. Namely the waist strap to carry weight on hips rather than shoulders for long walks or mountain courses and the frame for efficient waist distribution to the lumbar.

I built a bag I am quite happy with, but if I was in the market I would be interested in this one. I could probably carry all my discs in the slots and have room for a jacket in the bottom.

I'm currently using the Upper Park Shift. Waist straps and all. Feels like I'm wearing nothing. I exaggerate only slightly.

If you can put a jacket in the bottom of this bag with >12 discs in the vertical flaps this bag might be perfect for me.

Just heard back from the company. I'd like to share his reply because I've been quickly convinced it's perfect for me (and ManU might also be interested):

John from BHB said:
The "Floor" of the upper, main compartment is on angle from front to back of about 30 degrees creating a wedge that forms the lower compartment. This lower compartment is accessible via a zipper that parallels the zipper for the front putter pocket. If you open that zipper, you can cram all sorts of items in that compartment. Since the dawn of disc golf bags, there never seems to be a big pocket where you can cram layers. This is particularly a hassle during spring and fall. I always make sure that our bags have a place to store large items like a hoodie or rain gear. You can definitely pack some gear in that space.

You can fit between 18-23 discs, depending on type of disc and orientation, while still having a jacket in the lower compartment.

It's a neat looking bag, to be sure. The only thing that worries me is the "curved back design." That's going to be a recipe for severe back pain for some people.

People keep forgetting about the golf mahal. Wake911. I carry all the stuff you mentioned and more! When I don't I sinch up the side pockets.

Totally agree. All these issues are addressed with the Mahal and not only are they addressed they are SOLVED! I seriously don't understand (other than people saying they don't like the "looks", because that is subjective) how anyone could waste money on a different backpack bag. And if it's the "looks" that bother you then your not serious about the quality/functionality/ergonomics of a backpack style bag anyway.

Ergo questions

The Ergo will presale for $179.95 starting in about 2 weeks. There will be a promotional video for the bag that will answer all of your questions coming out next week.

Just heard back from the company. I'd like to share his reply because I've been quickly convinced it's perfect for me (and ManU might also be interested): The "Floor" of the upper, main compartment is on angle from front to back of about 30 degrees creating a wedge that forms the lower compartment. This lower compartment is accessible via a zipper that parallels the zipper for the front putter pocket. If you open that zipper, you can cram all sorts of items in that compartment. Since the dawn of disc golf bags, there never seems to be a big pocket where you can cram layers. This is particularly a hassle during spring and fall. I always make sure that our bags have a place to store large items like a hoodie or rain gear. You can definitely pack some gear in that space.

You can fit between 18-23 discs, depending on type of disc and orientation, while still having a jacket in the lower compartment.

This sounds great! I'm really looking forward to getting one.

Totally agree. All these issues are addressed with the Mahal and not only are they addressed they are SOLVED! I seriously don't understand (other than people saying they don't like the "looks", because that is subjective) how anyone could waste money on a different backpack bag. And if it's the "looks" that bother you then your not serious about the quality/functionality/ergonomics of a backpack style bag anyway.

1. One of the benefits of a free market economy is that multiple companies can offer similar products. It's called competition, and it's good for us consumers.

2. The Mahal isn't really much of a backpack bag since the discs and everything else is actually stored at the bottom of the bag. It might as well be like a regular touring bag with with 1 smaller dg bag on each side. I'm not saying the Mahal is not a great bag, I'm just saying they are different.

3. The mahal doesn't have a built in seat. The ERGO has an internal frame so you can sit on it.

I appreciate your loyalty to your favorite bag, but don't be hatin' on a good company just because they make a slightly similar product.

3. The mahal doesn't have a built in seat. The ERGO has an internal frame so you can sit on it.

Are you sure about this? I know the other Big Hyzer bag has a seat built in, but the Ergo certainly does not look like it can be sat upon.

Are you sure about this? I know the other Big Hyzer bag has a seat built in, but the Ergo certainly does not look like it can be sat upon.

From me, earlier in this thread....

Big Hyzer Bag Co. just told me this on Facebook "It has an internal aluminum frame that provides strength and allows the bag to stand properly. While not overly comfortable, you can sit on this bag."

I'm getting one.

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification. Certainly doesn't look comfortable, but if it works in a pinch that's a nice selling point.

This sounds great! I'm really looking forward to getting one.

1. One of the benefits of a free market economy is that multiple companies can offer similar products. It's called competition, and it's good for us consumers.

2. The Mahal isn't really much of a backpack bag since the discs and everything else is actually stored at the bottom of the bag. It might as well be like a regular touring bag with with 1 smaller dg bag on each side. I'm not saying the Mahal is not a great bag, I'm just saying they are different.

I appreciate your loyalty to your favorite bag, but don't be hatin' on a good company just because they make a slightly similar product.

1. I love the free market as well.
2. It is a TOTAL backpack bad and feels NOTHING like a tour bag on your back. The Mahal is the ONLY backpack bag that took years of experience and expertise in backpack making and gave dg'ers a industry leading YOKE system that leaves all other bags in the dust...FACT.
3. If you want to sit on an uncomfortable frame (their insinuation not mine) by all means go ahead.

Loyalty is not the issue. The best fitting, best built, best quality material bag is the focus and quite simply there is no bag that compares to a mahal. Not feeling, just fact. No hate here, just fact. Until another company invests in the custom fit ergonomics of a yoke system they will all be inferior in comfort which is #1 in my book.

1. I love the free market as well.
2. It is a TOTAL backpack bad and feels NOTHING like a tour bag on your back. The Mahal is the ONLY backpack bag that took years of experience and expertise in backpack making and gave dg'ers a industry leading YOKE system that leaves all other bags in the dust...FACT.
3. If you want to sit on an uncomfortable frame (their insinuation not mine) by all means go ahead.

Loyalty is not the issue. The best fitting, best built, best quality material bag is the focus and quite simply there is no bag that compares to a mahal. Not feeling, just fact. No hate here, just fact. Until another company invests in the custom fit ergonomics of a yoke system they will all be inferior in comfort which is #1 in my book.

You're funny. What kind of car do you drive? Do you go around to car enthusiast forums and tell people they should stop buying other cars and just buy the kind of car you have because it is so great, no other car can possibly be better? Have you tried the Ergo? Should we all go around boasting that our favorite brand or product is the best and people shouldn't purchase anything else, even though we haven't tried anything else, in every thread? That would be kind of obnoxious.