• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Money Skins

I'll be curious to see if there are any official statements/posts within the next few days from any of the companies involved.

Basically is this going to be a massive finger pointing blame game or will anybody take some time to think things through and put something out that's well written and intelligent.

It sounds like this Mason company straight up pulled the wool over everybody's eyes. I understand live broadcasting is a unique animal and a big part of it is handling problems on the fly. From what info has been floating out there though it sounds like these guys were a joke from the get go though. For that kind of cash wouldn't you think part of the contract would be thorough testing of everything prior to the actual event? Set stuff up the day before and film some of the practice as a test run? I'm sure it's not exactly that simple but just expecting things to run 100% according to plan that morning just seems extremely naive.

It's really funny to me, as a St. Louis local who is on his phone and the internet too much for his own health, how little ANYONE knows about this event, including half the folks that were there apparently.

The term cluster**** comes to mind.

Then again, if someone deposits a check for $50K, that person probably has a different perspective.

I'm guessing Eagles Crossing and Gateway will lose tons of money over this, but I would think all the players will get paid, right? Can you imagine the uproar if players get stiffed?

I'm guessing Eagles Crossing and Gateway will lose tons of money over this, but I would think all the players will get paid, right? Can you imagine the uproar if players get stiffed?
I am morbidly curious how the actual payout is handled in such a grand big money venture as this.
I would find teeth to tail accounting of communications, moving money around and divisions of labor for the event numbing interesting.

I'll also be curious how the podcasts handle everything this week. Gotta figure a few of them will interview players who participated. Maybe we'll even see a few of them reach out to some of the parties involved in the planning.

Personally I think the upshot does the best job with interviews. It'd be interesting to see Charlie ask the owner of Eagle's Crossing what his long term plans are in the big picture of dg and how he plans on making it happen.

Makes you wonder how much of that is his own personal opinion or Dave Mac or somebody else getting in his ear.

I'll also be curious how the podcasts handle everything this week. Gotta figure a few of them will interview players who participated. Maybe we'll even see a few of them reach out to some of the parties involved in the planning.

Personally I think the upshot does the best job with interviews. It'd be interesting to see Charlie ask the owner of Eagle's Crossing what his long term plans are in the big picture of dg and how he plans on making it happen.

Makes you wonder how much of that is his own personal opinion or Dave Mac or somebody else getting in his ear.

I wish they had been working on a documentary all year a la Fierce about the biggest most professionally produced disc golf event. Such a lost opportunity.

I wish they had been working on a documentary all year a la Fierce about the biggest most professionally produced disc golf event. Such a lost opportunity.

Led by Billy McFarland and Ja Rule.

Led by Billy McFarland and Ja Rule.

Not sure it's all that. Definitely exposed how easy these folks were mis-guided and unprepared to take on such an event, in contrast to the hype throughout the year. For me, the best part was Terry Miller not even involved in the whole thing basically stealing the YouTube chat (because there was no official presence doing anything) and doing some sort of version of pre-war action news play by play by reading wire messages coming through from Thomas Gilbert. It was so perfectly absurd. And Koeling explaining to Goog for 5 minutes how to tell if a disc is out of bounds. The whole thing was like the Max Headroom chicago TV takeover of disc golf because they never broke in and said, "yes we know this is not working out" which I respect.

I seriously doubt Gateway had any money on the line here. They were probably being compensated for running the event.

I seriously doubt Gateway had any money on the line here. They were probably being compensated for running the event.

Yeah maybe Eagle's Crossing will be the lone loser.
Either way, the main source of income (video) will be zero.

Yeah maybe Eagle's Crossing will be the lone loser.
Either way, the main source of income (video) will be zero.
In the past for pretty much every other disc golf venture, this would be devastating and would be the end of whatever venture had tried to do it. Disc Golf by nature was always out on a wing and a prayer anyway, nothing had the bankroll to survive devastating failure.

Eagles Crossing is going to sue the pants off the production company and move along; the dude has probably blown more cash on something dumber before.