• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Money Skins

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
A non-sanctioned event at Eagle's Crossing. The future of professional disc golf or just an aberration ?

Past, present and future?

Non-sanctioned skins has been a thing for years.
Not with this kind of money and this big of a field. 96 MPO players for 50K.

Not with this kind of money and this big of a field. 96 MPO players for 50K.

I suppose it ultimately depends if big $ sponsors want to invest and people want to watch.

Does watching disc golf appeal to those who don't play?

Time will tell.

Could become the new normal but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Would love to be proved wrong.

As an aside, it seems like the bigger disc golf has gotten, the less interested I am in watching it. Probably just me.

-shrug-

I like the course, but can't see paying more than a few bucks to watch, and only condensed coverage then. I'd love to know how/why this one person is pouring so much cash into events. This is the third one I believe. Each bigger than before.

I like the course, but can't see paying more than a few bucks to watch, and only condensed coverage then. I'd love to know how/why this one person is pouring so much cash into events. This is the third one I believe. Each bigger than before.
I think the end game for the owner is to have Eagle's Crossing recognized as the world's best disc golf venue and rather than hosting a silver series event, like Lake Marshall and New World he is basically going over DGPT's head to get there. Shades of LIV ?

I think the end game for the owner is to have Eagle's Crossing recognized as the world's best disc golf venue and rather than hosting a silver series event, like Lake Marshall and New World he is basically going over DGPT's head to get there. Shades of LIV ?

That is my perception of the situation as well.

A non-sanctioned event at Eagle's Crossing. The future of professional disc golf or just an aberration ?
Neither. It isn't the future of disc golf, but it also isn't an aberration. For multiple reasons.

First, lets consider the fact that this event is paying out the winner 42% over the top of the biggest payout in disc golf history, but the overall purse is $100,000 which is still only one third the purse we just saw with the Disc Golf Pro Tour Championship.

Second, note that this is nothing new. If you do a little background you'll note that this is not very unlike what the DGPT did to establish itself. Although the DGPT made more of an initial effort to work with the PDGA, when the PDGA did not do everything that they wanted they chose to do things their way and pushed back against the PDGA with a large unsanctioned event - the Disc Golf Pro Tour Championship itself. Their exact words were: "This is mostly meant as a shot across the bow of the PDGA." - this event, similarly to the upcoming Eagle Skins event, had a payout approximately 1/3 that of the biggest event the PDGA had held.

The big difference between this and the DGPT Championship, at the time, is that this event is a one-off funded by a single deep-pocketed individual. Whereas DGPT had sponsors and support from events around the country at the time they made their unsanctioned "statement." This event is, really, a less impressive move overall than what the DGPT did and I don't see how, although it isn't an aberration, it is any sort of beginning of a movement.

These skins videos always make me feel icky... they just keep waving money around, and hyping up the money, and reiterating how much money this shot is worth, and oh my god this amount of money is CRAZY for a disc golf shot, DO YOU UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH MONEY THIS IS???

I'm sure the people playing in these events don't feel the same way, but it just seems forced and disingenuous to me, like a corporation with a snarky twitter account or Coca-Cola having fake streamers on Twitch. But, in this case it's actually Disc Golf entities pouring the money in... so it's not like that at all?

*grumpy old man rant*

IMO this will be different from almost any other event we've seen. The sheer amount of money will not only cause mucho extra nerves like in the mid-season Eagle Crossing event where Simon and Brodie were missing clean looks inside the circle once the $$ started stacking up. Even Stokely almost flubbed the 10-footer he had for the big payout.

On the other hand, players will be running baskets and trying lines that they'd never consider in other circumstances. That alone would be worth the price - to see normally conservative players like Sexton taking Simon lines.

The timing is good too since it's the same week DGN stopped live broadcasts and I cancelled until next year.

Their exact words were: "This is mostly meant as a shot across the bow of the PDGA." - this event, similarly to the upcoming Eagle Skins event, had a payout approximately 1/3 that of the biggest event the PDGA had held.

The big difference between this and the DGPT Championship, at the time, is that this event is a one-off funded by a single deep-pocketed individual.
If the DGPT skirmish with the PDGA "was a shot across the bow", this is more like drone strike aimed at directly at the DGPT and I'm not sure it is just a one-off. Looking at the 2023 schedule, it's easy to imagine another Eagle Skins right after Jonesboro.

Last edited:
If the DGPT skirmish with the PDGA "was a shot across the bow", this is more like drone strike aimed at directly at the DGPT and I'm not sure it is just a one-off. Looking at the 2023 schedule, it's easy to imagine another Eagle Skins right after Jonesboro.
Sorry, I meant one-off as in this is not a part of some greater series of events. It could be annual, but its just one event, one person's toy.

The infrastructure to lead a movement away from the PDGA or DGPT isn't there, and further isn't even hinted at. I wouldn't even regard it as, at least not yet, anything aimed at the DGPT - it is distinctly different and apart from what the DGPT is doing. If it has any aims to move the sport away from the structure or facilitation of a tour in the fashion of the DGPT this is barely a nascent move toward that.

If anything it is far less than a drone strike aimed directly at DGPT than it is a test to find out if the drone can fly any significant distance in order to maybe one day consider a system for aiming the drone that could lead to the drone strike at the DGPT (following up the previous Eagles Crossing skins, which was an effort to find out if the drone could fly at all).

This is an effort to establish the reputation of one site on its own merits, at this stage.

Sorry, I meant one-off as in this is not a part of some greater series of events. It could be annual, but its just one event, one person's toy.

The infrastructure to lead a movement away from the PDGA or DGPT isn't there, and further isn't even hinted at. I wouldn't even regard it as, at least not yet, anything aimed at the DGPT - it is distinctly different and apart from what the DGPT is doing. If it has any aims to move the sport away from the structure or facilitation of a tour in the fashion of the DGPT this is barely a nascent move toward that.

If anything it is far less than a drone strike aimed directly at DGPT than it is a test to find out if the drone can fly any significant distance in order to maybe one day consider a system for aiming the drone that could lead to the drone strike at the DGPT (following up the previous Eagles Crossing skins, which was an effort to find out if the drone could fly at all).

This is an effort to establish the reputation of one site on its own merits, at this stage.
The timing of this kills the start of DGPT's new wraparound 2023 season (silver) opener at Lake Marshall, by pulling potential competitors out of the east coast into the midwest instead of playing in the down east A tier. I'm sticking with a drone strike.

Last edited:

Latest posts