• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big UV Lights for Glow

jcf5083

Double Eagle Member
Has anyone ever used a light like this for glow golf? I'm trying to pick up a flashlight for glow golf and I'd like to hear reviews from people who have used these too.

Last edited:
So, excuse my ignorance, but do UV leds work better on glow than regular led?
Just picked up a disc mania glow and am seriously not happy with how weak the glow is with an led light.

LOL. Okay, I'm an idiot.
Never really used them before so there is that.

Even knowing this... I'm still thinking the taped on lights might be a better option.
I'd stil grab one of those UV led flashlights though.
For sure, regarding the OP, led is going to be way better than a florescent in terms of intensity.

In a stroke of luck, picked up a UV flashlight from a local today.
Is 51 LEDs enough? lol
Also got a few tape on lights. Totally set now.

The 51 LED UV flashlights are okay but they are quite large and not the greatest quality. Had one for a couple weeks before parts started falling off. It worked incredible with brand new batteries but quickly lost some of its power after an hour or two of use.

Speaking from personal experience the best UV LED Flashlight to buy is the Ultrafire, hands down. Skinny and fits in your pocket nicely and comes with two rechargeable batteries (only uses one, so you have back up) and charger. Crazy bright light and only takes a second or two to charge the disc.

I laughed at all the people who carried a 51 or 98 LED UV flashlight last year when I had a 9 LED UV that worked just as good and I just slipped it into my pocket when I didn't need it. All the other people fumbled with a huge flashlight the whole round.

Yeah I got the 51 LED and it works, and it fit fine into a Nutscac with 3-4 other discuss so no problem there.
But after a night round last night I'm pretty meh about glow plastic in general.
I used the tape on LEDs and that was a much better option, imo.

I had the 51 LED, but it didn't work as well as the 21. The smaller light was brighter and my discs held their glow for longer. Except for my pink glow Wasp. That thing sucks.

Last edited:
Yeah I got the 51 LED and it works, and it fit fine into a Nutscac with 3-4 other discuss so no problem there.
But after a night round last night I'm pretty meh about glow plastic in general.
I used the tape on LEDs and that was a much better option, imo.

If its not a sanctioned round use the glow tape on your regular discs. It works MUCH better than the regular plastic glow.

We have a sanctioned tournament with a glow round, it's run as an X-Tier. Glow tape, glow discs and taped on lights are all allowed :hfive:

Do these flashlights help make the charge of the glow disc last longer?

These seem be to cheap costing flashlights. I paid almost $150 for a streamlight flashlight. Same ones issued to cops/firef/seals. Very high quality but I hate using for disc golf at night because it so freakin bright.

Anyhow, I have been quite pleased with tape on lights but if this cheap flashlight helps the glow last longer I'm in.

Pink glow P2 here and the 51 led seems to work great but this thing does not hold glow for $#!t.
I just got the tape on lights and am happy with them.

Do these flashlights help make the charge of the glow disc last longer?

These seem be to cheap costing flashlights. I paid almost $150 for a streamlight flashlight. Same ones issued to cops/firef/seals. Very high quality but I hate using for disc golf at night because it so freakin bright.

Anyhow, I have been quite pleased with tape on lights but if this cheap flashlight helps the glow last longer I'm in.

Yes the UV LED flashlights help the charge of the glow disc last longer when compared to a standard LED flashlight. However they don't make crappy glow plastic suddenly become long lasting glow plastic, nothing can. For example that colored glow plastic from Discraft is mostly garbage (CryZtal FLX Glo) and nothing can help it stay lit.

IMO There are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to Glow disc golf. The amount of moonlight can be a factor, on a full moon night the glow discs become harder to find do to it being less dark. Glow discs are easier to spot when it is really pitch black out vs moon lit nights. The weather is also a factor as glow discs don't hold there charge as long the colder it gets, below 30-40 degrees I would rather use tape on LED lights instead of glow plastic.

Personally I keep my glow discs covered up at all times when not in play. I have a dedicated glow bag I keep zipped up and a box of back up glow discs with a covered lid to keep their exposure to light low. I assume like most things glow plastic gets weaker over time and prolonged exposure.

Latest posts