• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Birdie Bash advice

The ULace was awful, it just held whatever line I threw it on and wouldn't flip up at all.

The sole was solid and had a great fade, but I lost it in the water.

The ULace was awful, it just held whatever line I threw it on and wouldn't flip up at all.

The UnLace?

So, you didnt like the disc because it flew the way you threw it? :doh:

Im doing the VBB this year and I got a light medium Lace 160-166 and a medium Ridge 170-175. I already throw a Ridge as my putter so I just got another practice putter. Summit is nice but its a tad understable when used for driving duties.

Havent thrown a lightweight Lace yet so figured I'd give it a go.

I was told that if I threw the UnLace on a hyzer, it would flip up.

It wouldn't flip up no matter what hyzer or anhyzer angle I threw it on.

That's really surprising to me. It's possible you got a real freak of an unLace. I'm at around 300' power and an unLace will turn almost immediately out of my hand.

Yes, it will/should. Something doesnt make sense. Are you sure that its not a Lace?

If you threw it on an anhyzer it aint coming back.

How can something "flip up" from an anhyzer? To get from anny to flat it would have to... Fade down? Flex out? I'm confused

That's really surprising to me. It's possible you got a real freak of an unLace. I'm at around 300' power and an unLace will turn almost immediately out of my hand.
Looking back on some of your posts, I guess it's possible you don't have enough power for and/or you're throwing with some nose up. I'm not bagging on you, just seems like you're relatively new and still working on getting consistent form.

Yeah, the Unlace is really flippy buy it's still pretty fast so you have to get it up to speed still. Last year at my vbb I suggested it to an older player that was really new to the game but he made good use out of it even though it still faded at the end for him. I really wish Vibram had more extreme noob friendly molds for VBBs.

UnLaces are flippy as all get out. If I mess up and throw mine with even the slightest anny it will make a beeline to my left as hard as any disc out there. I have to super hyzer flip it to get it to work for me. It bombs when I do, but in any headwind its bound to anny into a roller and haul off in of Lord knows what direction. Most likely straight to the water.

Just signed up for our Birdie bash and Chose a Firm 170 Lace and a max weight Sole. Man I wish they had soft blend putters to choose from!!!

Yeah, it's definitely a UnLace.

I asked the folks running the event, and they were surprised that I was describing the Unlace that way, they said that recent batches weren't flippy at all, and it was running very stable. Which is how it flew.

No, they aren't stable at all. Even the new "more stable" runs. If the UnLace doesn't turn a little bit for you then you need to work on getting your speed up.

By Vibram's own flight chart, the only disc in their lineup that has a lower recommended flight speed than the Unlace's 44 mph is their understable putter the Summit, at 40.

I don't think it's a case of getting it up to speed, unless they've modified the mold.

By Vibram's own flight chart, the only disc in their lineup that has a lower recommended flight speed than the Unlace's 44 mph is their understable putter the Summit, at 40.

I don't think it's a case of getting it up to speed, unless they've modified the mold.
Then what do you recommend?

If an UnLace is not turning and doing its suggested flight path then the issue is usually the thrower.

Sorry, if you put the Unlace on an anhyzer release angle it will (well, shouldn't) fight back. Just not going to happen.

Then what do you recommend?

If an UnLace is not turning and doing its suggested flight path then the issue is usually the thrower.

Sorry, if you put the Unlace on an anhyzer release angle it will (well, shouldn't) fight back. Just not going to happen.

I know my Unlace was just what you'd expect - anhyzer release = roller.

I was just saying it as much a finesse disc as you'll find for its speed, so getting up to speed shouldn't be an issue.

Interesting discussion on the unLace... my guess is that it has to do with form issues and/or course conditions, i.e. tailwinds.

I've thrown understable discs on an anny and had them fade down, if they're thrown slightly nose up. The precession that takes place lifts the disc rather than turning it, so the disc elevates into the stratosphere and fades to the left ever so slightly rather than turning to the right. It's kind of touchy doing this, but it's possible with many of Vibram's molds. I've accomplished this with the Ibex.

Last edited:
Glad i read this post, was thinking about doing a BB this summer since I have never thrown Vibram. But I only throw 9 speed or slower discs and feel that i wont fair well no being able to pick a fairway driver, guess i might change my mind and not do it after all.

Unless you have small hands, there's no reason you can't shape lines with an UnLace just as easily as with a sidewinder or something similar.
Also, the birdie bash courses are usually short enough for putter plus ibex or over.

Glad i read this post, was thinking about doing a BB this summer since I have never thrown Vibram. But I only throw 9 speed or slower discs and feel that i wont fair well no being able to pick a fairway driver, guess i might change my mind and not do it after all.

unLace is pretty workable for newer players at 44 mph versus the fairway drivers which are at 50 mph and 56 mph. The unLace doesn't take much to get it up to speed, 14 6 -3 1 according to Infinitediscs. Lots of glide, very flippy, but solid once you learn to control it.

Haven't thrown it much on a fan-grip, but my guess is that it works well on shorter mid-range type holes, where there's line-shaping possibilities and/or a low canopy, because it skips.

You should give it a shot with a mid/mid or mid/putter. In regular rounds, I use my Ibex on anything 320' or less. It is a fun event.

You should give it a shot with a mid/mid or mid/putter. In regular rounds, I use my Ibex on anything 320' or less. It is a fun event.

It's a great tournament for newer players, because it's just meant to be fun! Everyone who registers gets a players pack, so no one leaves empty-handed.

Latest posts