• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

blind shots

Disc Frenzy

Par Member
How many blind shots are too many?

The course closest to me has 10 holes where both the basket much of the fairway to last up in are not viewable from the tee pad. Many times I have thrown a seemingly good drive from the tee that hits a tree or other obstacle around the corner and kicks in unknown direction. This can take a lot of the fun out of the round even without losing your disc. Tramping through the thick woods in 90° + heat for 20 minutes or more is rarely a good time.

There is a course north of me that is like that. hard to get in a good solo round.

I'm not a fan of blind landings. Blind baskets from the tee are ok, as long as the landing for the tee shot is in sight. I have one on my course, but it's only a 200' hole and not hard to find discs that get kicked. We have a controversy about an ace on this hole. I'm almost certain it went in through the top of the basket, so it doesn't count. There is almost no way that disc could have been resting in the chains the way it did otherwise especially since it was an overhand.

A few blind shots can be okay. They present a different set of challenges.

However, I hate having to constantly walk up the fairway of an unfamiliar course to figure out where the pin is.

Not only that, but a lot of the fun of this game is watching a disc fly. It's not nearly as fun to watch it fly around a corner and disappear.

Tramping through the thick woods in 90° + heat for 20 minutes or more is rarely a good time.

Yep. My home course has two. Both are dogleg rights and have tall grass, bushes, and trees. Their lengths are decent too, 325' and 345'. Losing a disc is always a concern.

I can't stand them...a course that I played in Germany had 9 blind holes out of 12 and it was really annoying.

31794484.jpg

It's unusual to find a true blind shot to the green or designed landing area in ball golf holes. The challenge is set before you and you have to execute. On the other hand, they don't typically design for players to bend a shot around a left or right corner except for cheating a dogleg.

10 holes was an estimate, more specifically;

#3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 have blind baskets and landings with baskets in the woods

#2 blind landing but the top of the basket is viewable

#12, 13, & 14 blind basket and landing, but the baskets are out in the open

I am a little salty today after losing a disc here, but still want to here more opinions on this.

It's unusual to find a true blind shot to the green or designed landing area in ball golf holes. The challenge is set before you and you have to execute. On the other hand, they don't typically design for players to bend a shot around a left or right corner except for cheating a dogleg.

I have rarely played a ball golf course that didn't have several blind shots. The difference to me is with ball golf, you have to hit a bad shot to lose your ball. Poor to mediocre shots are usually spotted easily but have poor lies and more distance on the next shot. Blind disc golf shots can punish decent shots fairly harshly.

Disc Frenzy, give examples. I submit that one of the principles in ball golf is you can see the desired landing area for every shot. In Par 3s, you can see the green or at least see the flag on uphill holes. The green is not around the corner like a hyzer/anhyzer in DG. In the case of par 4s and 5s, you can see the desired landing area for the tee shot. If the hole has a rise just after the desired landing area that might be a blind landing area but it's a risk/reward issue for players who want to hit farther than the design. If there's a dogleg, you can see the landing area for the next shot if you land in the first desired landing area.

I'm not a fan of blind landings. Blind baskets from the tee are ok, as long as the landing for the tee shot is in sight. I have one on my course, but it's only a 200' hole and not hard to find discs that get kicked. We have a controversy about an ace on this hole. I'm almost certain it went in through the top of the basket, so it doesn't count. There is almost no way that disc could have been resting in the chains the way it did otherwise especially since it was an overhand.

You never know. It's unlikely, but it could have bounced off the bottom of the basket and up into the chains.

You never know. It's unlikely, but it could have bounced off the bottom of the basket and up into the chains.
The funny thing is, we never even heard chains or metal. We were looking all around for the disc, and were about to give up, then we look at the basket it was there. The top of the basket allows a disc to go through without touching any metal. My theory is it went through the top no metal, and directly into the chain, and the disc was between the pole and chain so it didn't make any noise and it didn't make chain to chain noise from a regular side entry.

I don't mind the basket being tucked into a corner that you may not be able to see the fade / landing. What I do mind is an early corner that leaves the majority of the flight to be blind. I want to watch it fly through at least the majority of its flight. Nothing like throwing what looks like a good line only to hear that whack off a tree around the corner...and not even knowing where to start looking.

The funny thing is, we never even heard chains or metal. We were looking all around for the disc, and were about to give up, then we look at the basket it was there. The top of the basket allows a disc to go through without touching any metal. My theory is it went through the top no metal, and directly into the chain, and the disc was between the pole and chain so it didn't make any noise and it didn't make chain to chain noise from a regular side entry.

Ok, I didn't realize that. Ya, that bothers me when you find baskets like that. That's supposed to be the whole point of baskets, they make it crystal clear whether it's in or not.

Disc Frenzy, give examples. I submit that one of the principles in ball golf is you can see the desired landing area for every shot. In Par 3s, you can see the green or at least see the flag on uphill holes. The green is not around the corner like a hyzer/anhyzer in DG. In the case of par 4s and 5s, you can see the desired landing area for the tee shot. If the hole has a rise just after the desired landing area that might be a blind landing area but it's a risk/reward issue for players who want to hit farther than the design. If there's a dogleg, you can see the landing area for the next shot if you land in the first desired landing area.

Hole #18 at Augusta National is a perfect example. This par 4 plays uphill and players cannot see the playing surface of the green from the fairway.

Most shots played from bunkers are blind.

I have played many holes where the landing zone on a drive or 2nd shot was blind due to elevation changes.

None of those are blind shots by design. Bunker is not a desired landing area. The preferred landing area is usually visible, maybe not where you would like to land on rolling terrain. Uphill shots you can usually see the flag from the preferred landing area. I'm just saying that ball golf design doesn't typically build blindness into the design as a method for adding challenge. Considering the distances and the size of the ball, it makes no sense to build blindness into the design so your shot can be found.

Some blind shots are acceptable, but if each hole is a challenge to see your disc from the start, then it can certainly take away from the enjoyment. There a plenty of ways to make a course challenging without adding blind shots all the time. Having the basket tucked behind trees or rocks is fine, especially if the tee signs are detailed enough to show this, but totally blind drives should be kept in moderation.

10 holes was an estimate, more specifically;

#3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 have blind baskets and landings with baskets in the woods

#2 blind landing but the top of the basket is viewable

#12, 13, & 14 blind basket and landing, but the baskets are out in the open

I am a little salty today after losing a disc here, but still want to here more opinions on this.

Riverview over in North Augusta?