• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Blizzard Boss Equivalent or better?

150g D1. I used to throw the blizzard boss before I got picked up by Prodigy. I always found it very difficult to find a good bliz boss. Like someone said above, they are all over the place. Every light D1 i've thrown is very overstable like its supposed to be.

Both my Prodigy air D1's in the upper 150's are a joke (super understable). A lot of money for discs that don't incoporate any real technology like the legitamate air plastic.

Unless something has changed the Prodigy Air stuff was a big disappointment.

150g D1. I used to throw the blizzard boss before I got picked up by Prodigy. I always found it very difficult to find a good bliz boss. Like someone said above, they are all over the place. Every light D1 i've thrown is very overstable like its supposed to be.

Were the Air D1's you have sent to you by Prodigy? Because I'm guessing they hand pick the good stuff for their sponsored pros (just like Innova and every other big DG company). How many Air D1's have you actually walked into a store and purchased and had the same experience with? We all know that manufacturing bubble plastic, especially in high speed drivers, is wildly inconsistent, and I don't think that's any different for Prodigy than Innova or Latitude. I think the discs that end up in shops are going to be much more all over the board than those they send their pros.

Fission Photon. Similar flights and weights to the Blizzard Boss, but much less squirelly and much more consistent. You can get them about as light as is comfortable for you, and you don't have to deal with the random understable ones. I personally love mine, and throw them a lot for big distance shots.

Absolutely no knock on the Photon or MVP, but from my testing it's really not a Max D driver. I wanted to use Photons as a primary distance driver when they came out and I auditioned one extensively on the field and the course against Destroyers, Scorpiuses, Bosses, and Terns. The Photon I have is quite reliable, but for me it just doesn't go as far as any of the other distance drivers I tested it against. In field testing, I'd get a really good rip on the Photon and it would have a beautiful flight that looked like it had gone really far, and I'd get out into the field and it would be 30+ feet shorter than my good drives with the other drivers very consistently; it was never ONCE my longest drive in field testing. Given that the Photon has a 21.5 mm rim vs. 25 for a Boss, 22 for a Destroyer, and 24 for a Scorpius or Tern, this probably should be expected; it's just not as fast of a disc. For me, I would put it solidly in "control driver" territory, competing with something like a PD or Thunderbird distance-wise (but I eliminated that slot from my own bag a while ago so it didn't make my bag). Once again, I think the Photon is a fine disc, but I don't think it really can compete if you're looking for a Max D driver.

Were the Air D1's you have sent to you by Prodigy? Because I'm guessing they hand pick the good stuff for their sponsored pros (just like Innova and every other big DG company). How many Air D1's have you actually walked into a store and purchased and had the same experience with? We all know that manufacturing bubble plastic, especially in high speed drivers, is wildly inconsistent, and I don't think that's any different for Prodigy than Innova or Latitude. I think the discs that end up in shops are going to be much more all over the board than those they send their pros.

Not the Air D1s. The lightweight 400g D1s. Me personally I throw 400g 164 gram D1s. I didn't care too much for the Air D1s that I've tried.

Not the Air D1s. The lightweight 400g D1s. Me personally I throw 400g 164 gram D1s. I didn't care too much for the Air D1s that I've tried.

Interesting! I didn't realize that the regular 400G D1's went down that low in weight. DGC has some all the way down to 147g. Sounds like a fun disc to throw, thanks for the correction!

Absolutely no knock on the Photon or MVP, but from my testing it's really not a Max D driver. I wanted to use Photons as a primary distance driver when they came out and I auditioned one extensively on the field and the course against Destroyers, Scorpiuses, Bosses, and Terns. The Photon I have is quite reliable, but for me it just doesn't go as far as any of the other distance drivers I tested it against. In field testing, I'd get a really good rip on the Photon and it would have a beautiful flight that looked like it had gone really far, and I'd get out into the field and it would be 30+ feet shorter than my good drives with the other drivers very consistently; it was never ONCE my longest drive in field testing. Given that the Photon has a 21.5 mm rim vs. 25 for a Boss, 22 for a Destroyer, and 24 for a Scorpius or Tern, this probably should be expected; it's just not as fast of a disc. For me, I would put it solidly in "control driver" territory, competing with something like a PD or Thunderbird distance-wise (but I eliminated that slot from my own bag a while ago so it didn't make my bag). Once again, I think the Photon is a fine disc, but I don't think it really can compete if you're looking for a Max D driver.

As much as it pains me to say this, I completely agree with the post above. I throw an all MVP bag with the exception of my first run Bliz Boss. I love the consistency of MVP but even the distance drivers just don't glide or carry like true distance discs. The Photon flight looks identical to my Bliz Boss but it just doesn't have the same glide or distance (375-400 max vs. 400-425 max). Always 10% or so shorter.

I've thrown (and wasted a lot of $) on Bliz discs. I won't buy anything other than the first runs with bubbles in the plate any more. They fly different - i.e. much better. The discs with bubbles in the rim are way too hard to know what they will do. The PLH seems to effect them more than other discs. High PLH makes them really beefy and short - I have two ridiculous beefy Bliz TeeDevils a friend gave me. Normal PLH and they are flippy garbage.

If you want t Bliz Boss start searching for used discs online or at Play it Again. Otherwise, move on to something else.

As much as it pains me to say this, I completely agree with the post above. I throw an all MVP bag with the exception of my first run Bliz Boss. I love the consistency of MVP but even the distance drivers just don't glide or carry like true distance discs. The Photon flight looks identical to my Bliz Boss but it just doesn't have the same glide or distance (375-400 max vs. 400-425 max). Always 10% or so shorter.

I've thrown (and wasted a lot of $) on Bliz discs. I won't buy anything other than the first runs with bubbles in the plate any more. They fly different - i.e. much better. The discs with bubbles in the rim are way too hard to know what they will do. The PLH seems to effect them more than other discs. High PLH makes them really beefy and short - I have two ridiculous beefy Bliz TeeDevils a friend gave me. Normal PLH and they are flippy garbage.

If you want t Bliz Boss start searching for used discs online or at Play it Again. Otherwise, move on to something else.

that's because MVP discs don't glide as much and are naturally more overstable than "normal discs", something I've been saying for awhile now.

that's because MVP discs don't glide as much and are naturally more overstable than "normal discs", something I've been saying for awhile now.

I used to not really agree with this because all I had thrown then were MVP putters and mids, which I think go about as far as any other company's putters and mids. However, I can really see this more with drivers. The first time I tried an all MVP bag, I was throwing Teslas for distance drivers. The thing about Teslas is that they hardly go any farther than TeeBirds for me and on very similar lines. Even though the Tesla has a 20mm rim, it flies more like a fairway for me. Then that impression was really confirmed with the Photon, which flies much closer to a PD for me than a Destroyer. Once again, I don't dislike the Photon or Tesla, but they don't get as much distance as "normal" discs with the same rim diameter for me. Could be I just don't snap/spin the disc fast enough when throwing, but it comes to the same thing in the end.

For me, my MVP Wave outdistances everything else I've tried, including a Blizzard Boss and Blizzard Dominator. And by more than just a little bit...

For me, my MVP Wave outdistances everything else I've tried, including a Blizzard Boss and Blizzard Dominator. And by more than just a little bit...

Well yes but you don't throw that far so you're probably not getting something like a Boss or Photon up to speed. I'm really no expert on understable distance drivers thrown with lower power so maybe MVP understable distance drivers do go further for someone with less power than regular understable distance drivers. I don't really know. I assume you've thrown the Wave against discs like the Valkyrie or Mamba or Star Tern? My field testing is only my own throwing and my own stack of discs so ymmv. I do remember in an earlier thread there were quite a few other people than me who chimed in with similar experiences about MVP discs not going as far as normal discs in the same speed class, even some of the real MVP fans, so I don't think I'm alone in that.

Latest posts