• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Technology

"Wiggins supposedly threw a blizzard boss about 830'."

That sounds like an exaggeration if I've ever heard one.

Yeah, there's definitely no way that a kid who's been throwing monster distances (including several official recorded shots over 700') could possibly have thrown that far :rolleyes:

well I finally felt one up today. It is really weird having a disc that light in your hands. Very domey but I wonder how they fly. Cloud 9 guys said they couldn't figure them out. Some time it would flip some time it would go straight and some time it would be over stable. So who knows.

well I finally felt one up today. It is really weird having a disc that light in your hands. Very domey but I wonder how they fly. Cloud 9 guys said they couldn't figure them out. Some time it would flip some time it would go straight and some time it would be over stable. So who knows.

Wind conditions have been far from optimal lately....

I have tried several blizzard discs (Destroyer, Boss, TeeDevil, Wraith, Katana), all in the 150-154g range. I typically throw light Champion plastic drivers - 150g Sidewinder, 155g Valk, 162g Wraith, 157g Beast, 150g TeeBird. My armspeed has slowed a bit with age, but I put a great deal of spin on the disc. I generally like lighter discs because they glide more and are less overstable. My no-wind distance is usually in the 290-320ft. range.

I really like the Blizzard Katana. It flies a good 30-50ft farther than other discs in my bag, when thrown in no or light wind. If I throw it high with hyzer, it keeps the hyzer line. If I throw it low with hyzer, it flips up flat and goes... Throw it higher with a little anny and it goes a long way, but is very unpredictable. I am birdieing holes that I never had a chance on before.

I like the 150g Wraith, too. It has great glide and turns over easier than my 162g Wraith. The others (Boss, Destroyer, TeeDevil) are very overstable for me and I won't be using them much until I figure out the optimal flex line. I'm going to try some of these discs in lighter weights, to see if they are less overstable.

All of these have been factory seconds. They're all acceptable to me, save one disc that has a gap between the upper and lower parts of the rim.

World record is 820' with perfect wind conditions at low elevation. That is all I am saying. Wiggins is good. He throws far. With that said, the world record has stood for eight years. Pardon my skepticism (/jealousy).

World record is 820' with perfect wind conditions at low elevation. That is all I am saying. Wiggins is good. He throws far. With that said, the world record has stood for eight years. Pardon my skepticism (/jealousy).

And the last couple years there have been throws at the distance competition that were measured to be longer than the record but weren't during the official record attempt. Because of the requirements, several record breaking throws haven't been sanctioned, now there is another.

Got my Kabuki Wraith from Herodiscusa.com and it is cool, perfect just like its brother straight from Innova. The Kabuki stamp looks much better than the stock stamp, it's in the bag!

Do not buy a Blizzard expecting it to give you distance if you OAT or flutter discs. It will do the exact opposite. If you are after cleaning up your form, learn to throw the Blizzards cleanly and watch them go.

They will accentuate good or bad, what ever you have...

Turbo for your drive...

Avery Jenkins has unofficial (non WFDF competition) throws over the record, and I believe GG does too. Possibly also Dion Arlyn and/or David Wiggins. 820' is the world record for a WFDF event, but thats really it.

So Mashnut, where did you hear about this throw? Has Wiggins been playing in Illinois lately?

Any recommendations for a noodle arm looking for a true overstable driver? All I have for overstable drivers are a 167g CFR Teebird+ and a 171g Pro Destruclcan-anomaly super dome thing that flies pretty understable for a Destroyer, but I don't have the arm for it right now.

I got a 138 blizzard wraith and I've been throwing it 10-15 feet farther then my usual Max d. I'm super pumped to get to the course now. The flight plate on it seems very thin. We will see how durable it is on the next couple weeks.

I love the new Blizzard technology discs! I recently went to New Mexico and thoroughly tested them side by side with other discs at various elevations and wind speeds. The new Blizzard discs came out on top. My best throws were with a 150g Blizzard Champion Boss (828ft)* and a 150g Blizzard Champion Katana (813ft).

From what I've observed, the Blizzard discs fly with almost the same stability as the equivalent model 20 grams heavier. They feel and throw like heavier discs than they actually are. This allows for much longer throws, especially in the right conditions.

I've tested the new Blizzard discs in weights ranging from 130g to 155g and can honestly say that these are going to add distance to many disc golfers' games. From the average player to the experienced pro, everyone can benefit from Blizzard Champion Discs.

*828 feet would be a new World Record if thrown in a sanctioned distance event.

Still mornings, no air movement or a light downwind component is where they shine.

I have not gotten around trees with them yet but I do think the trees are going to like these discs as in hang on to them. I don't think you will see many small branches fall out of trees if you send one of these discs in, I bet they hang up more.

Like any disc in your bag, you will figure out when and where to play them.

I wouldn't go about throwing a Blizzard version into a stiff headwind.

Less is more.

Picked up a 136 wraith today. Won't be able to test it out full blow until later this week most likely. Could have used one of these the other day for this nasty 20mph tailwind we were trying to throw in.

Would you change your AOA for that heavy downwind component?

I know when I am gliding downwind in my hang glider, I slow down and get the glider to fly slowly in order for the wind to "carry" me farther than if I were to fly at best glide speed.

I'm thinking if the wind is honkin, and I'm throwing downwind, I'm going to send it ever so slightly nose up to get the disc to climb and carry downwind.

I have not had this opportunity, yet.

Give it up eh?

Latest posts