• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BlowFly Questions

What are the differences between the BlowFly and Blowfly II.

The Blowfly (original) is blunt on the edges, while The BlowFly II is sharper edges, tends to be more for distant putts I guess. I got both, since one was 10.99 and #2 was 9.99, so I will use them both till I decide which one I prefer then will drop the other into my son's bag for him to use.

RE: Stay on the ground disc...
I used a R-Pro Rhyno for the same. It sticks where it lands.
I've since switched to the misleading "Gummy" Rhyno and am considering the Blowfly.

In defense of the "stay on the ground disc".
- Another Invaluable Tool in the Bag. It's nice to know that i have a disc that will stop where it lands. Anytime i am shooting for a layup, or there is major threat of the disc rolling tend to use mine. I cant tell you how many times i've seen guys hit the basket and get an evil 50' roll down a hill.

sounds like hole 17 at my local course. even with drives its a do or die hole. the line to get to the pin is a wind sweeping hyzer but when your disc gets to the pin the disc is pretty close to perpendicular to the angle of the hill the pin is on. If the disc gets on its end you better pray if find its way to one of the big pine trees around the green or its taking as long roll away. And that's just for drives. For putts, you better hit those chains or its gonna go rollin. If its outside of 25 feet for me I try to flop the putter at the base of the pin.

RE: Stay on the ground disc...
I used a R-Pro Rhyno for the same. It sticks where it lands.
I've since switched to the misleading "Gummy" Rhyno and am considering the Blowfly.

In defense of the "stay on the ground disc".
- Another Invaluable Tool in the Bag. It's nice to know that i have a disc that will stop where it lands. Anytime i am shooting for a layup, or there is major threat of the disc rolling tend to use mine. I cant tell you how many times i've seen guys hit the basket and get an evil 50' roll down a hill.

The Blowfly will make any other disc being called gummy laughable. Its more like rubber than plastic.

The Blowfly will make any other disc being called gummy laughable. Its more like rubber than plastic.

Very true.

Some people use "floppy" to describe things that aren't that... floppy. Take FLX plastic. I've heard FLX described as floppy. If it's hard, it can't be floppy.

The Bowfly will hold it's shape if you're simply holding it. Wiggle your hand up and down though and it will bend in your hand. This is what I call "floppy".

How does the Vibram rubber vomit compare to a Bowfly?

I almost always carry a blowfly/gumbputt with me and I only have one prob with them: They "stick" to everything else in the bag. If you try to pull out the disc next to it, its almost a given that the blowfly is gonna come with it.

I could never get used to how the blowfly would feel like it was moving through a release so I had to get rid of it.

They have 3.
The Gumputt, Bluntputt, and powerdrive.

Used to be a great disc for going through the pan, but that is no longer allowed...
When they get broke in they wont hold their shape unless they are flying.

Been putting exclusively with a Blowfly for about 18 months now and see no reason to consider changing. I spent over three years going from Aviar --> Ryhno --> Magnet --> JK Aviar --> Voodoo but never found anything that offered the consistency of the Blowfly. Still using the original one I started with (have about 6 backups) and it still flies exactly the same. My rating has jumped about 30 points in the past 18 months and it's 90% within 50' of the basket. It's all mental - I no longer walk up to a putt looking to see where my disc will roll to if I miss. I know if I touch metal it's in or I have a 5 footer.

Every putter (except the 10m Brick!) has a purpose and putting styles favor one mold over the other this one definitely works for me.

How the hell can this thread be bumped after a year+??? Anytime I've tried to do a search, find a thread on the topic I wanted, if it was very old it tells me that I can't post in it.

it's much smarter to bring back an old topic when you have something to add or a question... than to start a new topic and have 30 people tell you about the search function

i think a few members get so upset they cut themselves when someone doesn't use the search function

i think some members need to be reminded to take their meds

I switched to the BF II a year or so back. It's been my 5th and LAST putter. Definately shaved some strokes off my game. No....wait. They SUCK! Don't buy any. They're poison!!! ;)

The difference between the BF and BF II is the lip. Think of the BF more like a mid range and the BF II as a putter. I have both, but tend to only carry and use my BF II. Hell, I can get a pretty good long range putt/mid shot with the BF II!

I hear it so many times. "I'm going to use my blowfly incase I miss it won't roll"

Few things wrong with that sentence.

First, where is your putting confidence?
Secondly, I've seen just as many people get a roll using that piece of junk just as they would with any other disc.
Last but not least, if you putt with it, good chance you're going to miss.

I actually liked this disc as a catch disc. A few friends and I were playing catch with it, and as floopy as it is, it held it's line amazingly for as floopy as it is.

A kid from Cal State Monterey Bay just hit an ace with the Blowfly on hole #18 at the Hippodrome during the first singles round of the Collegiate Nationals. It was the day before filming though, so no vid for proof... I did see a short reaction clip on the kids facebook page though :)

I have a blowfly question.

What the F**K is a "blowfly"? :D

I am refusing to investigate this on my own.

All of the information I will know on blowflies will come from this thread.

This could be interesting

Also knows as the "Blows-by" and "'Blows'-Fly" here in these parts.

The Blowfly is just the Blunt Putt in a different plastic.

I just got both at a tournament this weekend and I can't tell the difference in the plastic whatsoever. One is orange and one is blue. That's where the differences seem to end.

I agree that the Blunt Gumbputt and the Blowfly are one and the same in different colors. I have both and putted with them for a year or two as I learned to play.

The real issue I have with using them as a putter now is that they have too much glide. I want my putter to be more of a point and shoot disc (I use dx glo aviars).

This might be the best (golf weight) catch disc made though. They fly incredibly straight with nice glide and are so soft catching them is no issue.