• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bounce-out aces, WTF?

stubborn puppet

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
So, after having my fourth bounce-out ace in like 5 months and only 1 actual ace, I'm left thinking...
"Is a bounce-out ace that much more common than an actual ace?" Just general physics tell me that it's certain to happen at least half the time, but this just seems disproportionate.

i dont think hes disputing that, i think hes trying to see if bounce outs are as common as his are at a 4-1 ratio and i do think thats a fluke but maybe it has to do with how the disc comes in also and how old the baskets are as well, lots of factors

Plenty of people have splashed the chains and have not had an ace. Consider putting: if a putt is on the wrong side or too high do most of them go in?

While there are imperfect aces (think deflecting off a tree), you should consider most aces to be perfect shots.

If you didn't go in, then you didn't have a perfect shot.

Last edited:
Yeah, ^ what he said.
I don't believe they are actually aces... I just feel like I "earned" and ace:\

To clarify these 4 moments, I'm NOT counting hitting chains. I'm saying that the discs went INTO the bucket all the way and then ricocheted/bounced back up and out the other side.

I'm not looking for credit that I don't deserve, not looking for sympathy, not interested in debating their merit (of which there is none) or trying to get advice. I just wonder if I'm unlucky or if this is the norm?

If memory serves, the baskets in question have been 2 DGA, 1 Titan and a Discatcher 2.

Last edited:
I've personally had way way more chain out/bounce out hits than aces....but plenty of those have came on single chain baskets i just think it makes the aces all that more beautiful

I've had 3 aces (2 in the last 2 weeks, hell yeah). I've probably had atleast 5 dead center spit outs. It's just the way the game works. Perfect 30 foot putts do the same thing sometimes, and those are going 1/4th the speed of a potential ace.

I have had shots hit the basket so hard the pole shot it right back out or it hits down on the double rings of some baskets and ejects it. I have alot of splash outs from wide rim drivers. The aces that did stick I was using midranges/putters or fairway drivers or real light discs. The only ace I have from a wide rim is a champ ape which did hit the pole but got lucky it stuck. I always like to say "counts in canada" as they have tone poles on a bunch of courses or they used to.

sucks nuts:wall: kills mental game in torny play for me

I had a dead center spit out once.

It was a good thing too, as it was on the wrong basket.

I've had 10' putts spit out. Still only hit chains once, and that one stuck. I'm waiting to hit chains again. As frustrating as it would be to have it spit out, I'm tired of hitting poles and baskets. I need another ace... Or at least another near one that doesn't bounce off of the basket and set up a long putt for birdie. Most chain outs at least drop you close by.

I think I average 4-5 basket hits (be it chains, bucket, or pole) between aces. I can see it being different depending on one's ability and the types of courses played. I have several short, technical courses around me with plentiful ace runs, so I have plenty of opportunity. If I played nothing but bomber courses, they'd be few and far between.

i've had it happen before in a single round. i couldn't believe my luck, i had three runs at chains and all spit out. i stepped up to another aceable hole and let er fly. this one finally stuck.

It was during a busy night at leagues with one group on every hole. I let one rip. It smashes dead center in the front of the basket. It didn't happen with a 'tink'. It happened with a "KLLLAAAANNNGGG" that made the group teeing off on the next box say WTF was that?!?!?!

The very next hole, I let another rip. This one creams the center of the chains and falls out right behind. Again, with as hard as I threw it, this was a CRRRAAASSSHHH that was heard on many holes. The group ahead of us, (same folks mind you), again got to whirl their heads around and say Holy Sh*t! Wtf was that?!?!

last week on a 170' RHFH hyzer with a GL Flow, I hit dead center chains from the 7 o'clock position. And it spit out!

I've had five legit metal hits this summer, and only one ace. I did put one in from about 250', but not from the tee. It just stands to reason that a disc travelling fast enough to get to the basket at 325' or 250' or whatever is going to result in fewer shots sticking.

Latest posts