Breaking in discs

I lost all my magical beat Star Firebirds and the closest replacement I've found in years is a semi beat z Raptor I traded with Sewer Bill.

I still have my fake $5 Sexton Firebird. A ESP FLX predator. Sure a FLX Raptor would do just as well.

edit:: Oopsie just read Bizz recommendation.

Is breaking in and cycling discs becoming a thing of the past? The quality of plastics have improved dramatically in the past few years, and this seems true for all the major manufacturers. Additionally, the manufacturers and the buying public seem to be favoring these more durable and more attractive plastics, and those plastics that do break in more quickly are being produced more irregularly and in fewer numbers. I no longer hang on to overstable discs waiting for them to break in. Perhaps, they would eventually but the process is too long and unpredictable. Are some of you still cycling discs, or are your habits changing as well?
Because of how bad some Innova discs are in production even now in the most modern Long lasting plastics, they need to work in every now and then plastic flashing particularly in some runs even now. Innova has issue still worse in some non putter shaped midrange on up most commonly in and whereas most other brands do not.

Also cycling molds in baseline plastics/slightly more durable plastic is still common from players who only limit molds for feel, odd most are Innova only players considering Innova even when letting other brands/players use molds still has so many molds very similar.

Lastly You still see players cycle putting putters/break in one for longer putting if they do not switch discs or use a mold for approach player likes as overstable and cycle some non premium discs for letting disc go off mainly for more straighter approach disc. Rarely do you see for drivers, fairway on up anymore or most true midrange where mold is not a Roc in Pro/baseline or a Comet in X/Pro D.

Cycling should be something that just happens naturally from throwing your favourite discs again and again, and way too many players try to force this because of various reasons. Luckily I think that forcing a cycle is getting a bit out of fashion and I see less people doing this now than 4-5 years ago.
I do for my Jawbreaker Magnet putter the longer putter and yes, I have to replace out these discs because of plastic being similar to my Dragons when those wear down with a new dragon or my now eventual around 145 gram F2 Valkyrie I got for cheap summer sale in 2022.

I have a 168g Gold Line River that has been my mainstay driver for probably 6 years or more. It just gets better and better. I have a couple of new Opto Rivers at the same weight that I throw occasionally but I just don't have the same confidence in them. This disk does not get thrown around water.

I think the approach to building a bag is changing. Im just gonna call this the Simon approach as he is the one best embodying that approach.

People will use just have a single of each mold sitting in the bag and use that one until it is beat in, then switch a new one in. Simon is a great example here because he does exactly that. I guess MVP is also the prime manufacturer for that approach as their stuff beats in really slowly and retains its flight characteristics for a long time. I also think they dont have as many molding inconsistencies as other companies.

Myself I am still using the old cycling approach to building my bag. I was always fascinated by the stacks of broken in Roc3s McBeth used to carry around which is also my favorite mold if you couldnt tell already. My two most precious discs are my yellow Star Roc3 that drifts to the right and an orange Star Teebird that is stupid flippy. People on my card are regularly surprised when it hyzer flips into a nice left to right line on RHBH. Both of these discs are accompanied by 2 or 3 cousins in the bag. I also used to cycle some dx Aviars until my white stupid flippy one got lost and I changed putters. Those were also pretty nice as they had developed a waxy patina over the years which made them extremely grippy.

Not sure if the Simon approach is better as I might just be romanticising the cycling approach, but it is the way I wanna play.

I lost all my magical beat Star Firebirds and the closest replacement I've found in years is a semi beat z Raptor I traded with Sewer Bill.
How did those fly for you that made them magical? I got a flat star firebird and for some reason that thing has some turn and finishes straight while my just slightly different champ firebird is a stupid meathook.

I guess it all depends on what flight shape you want from your discs. A beat up overstable disc that will flip up flat without much turn and hold that until the last 5% of the flight is still worth the process to me. New flippy discs and worn OS discs have different characteristics and flight shapes when thrown the same way. a new disc will need a lot of throws for the user to learn how to best utilize it and then double that to establish trust in that same disc. take a disc that is trusted and replace it with an identical mold and similar wear and the knowledge of how to use it mostly carries over but the trust takes time and reps to earn. regardless of stability, I know I'll perform better with a disc I've thrown a bunch(trust)vs. something I just peeled the sticker off of(no trust).