• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brees,Brady & MPO

Ha, good point,I should have at least thrown in a semi-colon for two different sports. When was the last time you saw a disc golfer sacked by a 280 pound lineman ?

Heheheh, ahhh but disc golf has it's unique risks. A friend and I, an older fart than I, who also happens to be in the DGHOF, were playing a casual round at the old Richmond Hill course in Asheville NC when he violated the "don't putt while I'm talking" rule. Of course he made the putt and I apologized for the distraction. He replied, "No worries. Back in the day Lavonne (Wolfe) would throw rocks at me on the tee pad."
[emoji106][emoji41][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe if the old timers would have brought home say 10 million a year the young guns of today would have a much harder time winning a tournament today.

JohnE, Patrick Brown and Philo are still doing well into their 40s. Even if their power isn't what it once was they can still execute at a very high level.

JohnE is either 50 or very close, Patrick is already a Grandmaster. Brown was part of a lead card not too long ago where it was 100% evident he was right there with the young guns except for the longer holes. If the game continues to favor longer open courses for easier spectator / video coverage, we'll see less older players, but on shorter holes, wooded courses, etc, age is much less an issue.

Todd Cam @ 42 took down the GBO in 2016 with enough distance and a great short game.

I'm hoping that as the sport grows, we will have a Pro Masters tour, with courses that reward brains and finesse over brawn.

Riverdog's Ramcat Ridge is very enjoyably such a course such a course.

I think the pressure of physical fitness on aging players is actually pretty low down the list of causes for reduced ability/ratings/results.
As mentioned above if the payouts continue to increase there are more resources for staying fit and relevant and many of the other pressures are reduced or removed.
Not only that but I think the game is still developing in skill, training and dedication so over time there will be more players who pass unscathed through the gauntlet of injury, responsibility and desire.
The only fly in the ointment is if courses become more open and require more and more distance. That will shorten the potential career length. In terms of the health of the sport I suspect there's a sweet spot in terms of career length. Make it too long and the fan scene stagnates, make it too short and the rewards can never provide enough return for the roll of the dice of the career choice.

Pragmatically: I can see the argument for pushing Masters eligibility back to age 45.
Personally: I'm 48 months from Masters, so lets not.

Played my best golf rating-wise in my later 30s, mostly because I didn't discover the game until 32-33. However, I had to take 6-7 years off from regular play and tournaments to raise kids. Now that I have more time and some smarts, my scores are consistently better, even if I don't 'kill it' sometimes. Aches and age have forced me to slow down instead of just powering shots out there and actually work on my form - not for distance so much but to prevent me from possibly hurting myself trying to do too much.
Also, I shot my best round on Sunday by about 4 strokes at my regular course. It's a shorty but I took 2+ hours to play one round and wore a back support (hard to lean over and pick things up) - ended up at -12 with one miss from 20 feet.

I put zero amount of stock in player ratings,once players are masters-eligible.

Really why? Even if he was playing MPO the vast majority of the time then???

Ken Climo peaked at 1044 at age 35 and even at age 45 was 1041.

Too bad those don't mean anything to you. This one won't probably either. At age 40, Climo threw the then record 1117-rated round. It's still third highest as we speak. Only McBeth's 1132 and 1121 have it beat.

Really why? Even if he was playing MPO the vast majority of the time then???

Too bad those don't mean anything to you. This one won't probably either. At age 40, Climo threw the then record 1117-rated round. It's still third highest as we speak. Only McBeth's 1132 and 1121 have it beat.

If you saw my next post Climo only played only twice at age 44 in Masters events, 12 Open!!! Age 45 he played still mostly Open with 9 and 5 Masters events. I watched him in person in 2012 in open even.

Ratings are not perfect but to say Climo fell off he didn't. He was playing way less due to his elbow I think, which he may even struggle with today. Though the skill was still phenomenal.

If you saw my next post Climo only played only twice at age 44 in Masters events, 12 Open!!! Age 45 he played still mostly Open with 9 and 5 Masters events. I watched him in person in 2012 in open even.

Ratings are not perfect but to say Climo fell off he didn't. He was playing way less due to his elbow I think, which he may even struggle with today. Though the skill was still phenomenal.

And to answer the OP, there are occasionally gonna be the few (very few) disc golfers who both CAN and will compete well into their 40's -- and if you count the Darrell Nodlands even into their 50s. But two things skew the question in the OP --
1) football is a team sport and QB is a very unique job. It's based on primarily only one physical attribute and numerous mental abilities -- both of which shouldn't diminish as quickly in your 40s.
2) disc golf, unlike football is not a sport where you can make a tremendous living. Don't EVER think that all the greatest disc golfers are out playing on the tour. I mean, even if I had the ability to shoot 1030-1060 rounds all the time, I still DOUBT you'd see me on tour -- because I can't make near the living I make doing what I've done the past 15 years and now than if I were playing disc golf. Not even McBeth's living. Nodland doesn't. He's doing really well as an engineer.

If these guys can still perform at a high level in the NFL past the age of 40, how does that translate with longevity in disc golf at the MPO level, where most players get put out to the masters pasture ?

Id say it has alot to do with where your ability lies and what your goals are. If you can still compete which in the case of disc golf we are talking guys like Barry, MJ, Feldberg PB All guys who can still compete in the open divisions and win. Personally i started out playing intermediate and have moved to am masters. because i want to push myself Im going to try and play atleast one open masters tournament this year and base future tournaments on my finish and performance. I continue to play this game because I still want to compete.

Latest posts