• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

classic brodie, randomly shows up in the comment section of a reddit post about a tweet of his and digs the hole wayyyyy deeper

https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/comments/nvnffp/can_we_get_a_flair_for_disc_golf_politics/
I can't seem to see what Brodie said..... anybody give a quick recap? I can only imagine based on the post in question....
he's user GBtwin21 in the replies
Important to note that he did go back on some of what he had to say. He posted a list of causes for homelessness in the US and admitted being incorrect about the causes of that sort of life. I respect that and feel like its more time taken out to be reflective than I've seen from him in the past when he's got in the middle of this stuff.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 8.49.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 8.49.18 AM.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 79
Important to note that he did go back on some of what he had to say. He posted a list of causes for homelessness in the US and admitted being incorrect about the causes of that sort of life. I respect that and feel like its more time taken out to be reflective than I've seen from him in the past when he's got in the middle of this stuff.

he admitted he was wrong about that one thing. did he say something that makes you think he then reflected on how being wrong about that might mean he's wrong about other related things?

he's user GBtwin21 in the replies

bs: This also wasn't a post about politics. It was more directed towards sports. Saw a lot of people making excuses for why they haven't done something yet.

op: Even with sports, privilege absolutely comes into play. Overcoming adversity is great to advocate for. Telling people without certain inherent advantages that they're "soft" for not succeeding is kinda wack...

bs: This is pretty motivating. Maybe I should have just tweeted this out https://youtu.be/XKDdU5XSMe8

op: Hahahahahaha ok. This video is hilarious. Again yeah that's cool to like.. Encourage people to exercise more but show that **** to a poor kid living on the street who's dream is to play basketball... But he's gotta work after school so he can't join the team, or his parents aren't there and no one else wants to help him. Personal responsibility is super important but not everything boils down to, "TRY HARDER MOTHER****ER OR YOU DON'T DESERVE TO WIN."

My point is other people being more successful in whatever sense you want to consider success can absolutely be excused by knowing that they have more advantages/privileges.

bs: https://www.gamedaynews.com/athlete...re-going-pro/?view-all&andro=1&ios=1&safari=1

My point I was trying to make was to stop making excuses or stop listening to people that tell you, you can't do something.

op: I get the point. I don't think you conveyed it well. Seems like I'm not the only one.

I think for some people it comes off similar to people who look at a homeless person and just assume they didn't work hard enough.

bs: Not really understanding your example. I would guess most homeless people got in that situation from bad choices.

Edit: Already noted.

In any case, I think it's a little bit lacking in self awareness for Brodie to post the latest "your attitude determines your altitude" aphorism poster. The guy is 6'7". You can't will your way to height. You can't will your way to bone structure. Early in Brodie's ultimate career he had a reputation for being lazy (basically the wide receiver who half-asses blocking).

None of this is to say he doesn't work hard, at disc golf or anything else. It just ignores the Rudys of the world who are "five foot nothing ... weigh a hundred nothing". They bust their ass and get in for two plays at the end of their senior season. That's just life.

I work from home, have a decent sized back yard, make good money, have kids who are out of the house, I can literally play every day and find time and money for lessons. That gives me great advantages over someone working two retail jobs just to make ends meet for their family when it comes to getting better at disc golf. Someone might have exactly the same physical attributes I do, but find it exceedingly hard to get better at any sort of pace.

I've also had multiple surgeries in the past several years to correct physical ailments. No way I could walk a disc golf course at this point if I hadn't.

It's a delicate balance between motivating people to do more and recognizing how much more it takes one person to do half as much as someone else.

It's a delicate balance between motivating people to do more and recognizing how much more it takes one person to do half as much as someone else.

This is the crux of the issue. Brodie has one perspective on this, while many people have other perspectives. Seems like we as a society need to be patient and seek understanding with each other, especially on the internet. Both Brodie and these other people have helpful perspectives, but the sound byte nonsense that gets headlines is unhelpful. Real discussions like the one Brodie had on reddit is what will help us.

People who acknowledge luck plays a roll in their success are more likeable than people who believe they are successful because they are smarter and/or work harder.

Probably.

The video is more making the point that even if luck is only a fraction of the recipe for success, it plays an outsized role in said success.

It's a video. TLDW?

haha, potentially. I think that TLDR has become a "word" and no longer refers only to the meaning of its acronym. It's similar to how a "bulldozer" no longer has anything to do with a bull, although originally it did.

</linguistic rabbit trail>

haha, potentially. I think that TLDR has become a "word" and no longer refers only to the meaning of its acronym. It's similar to how a "bulldozer" no longer has anything to do with a bull, although originally it did.

Now I'm wondering about the history of bulldozer.

You can get the gist of the video pretty quickly. And, if need be just speed it up a little.

Now I'm wondering about the history of bulldozer.

You can get the gist of the video pretty quickly. And, if need be just speed it up a little.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/bulldoze - not the prettiest history.