• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

I never understood people's fascination with those dull yellow/green discs that look like someone pee'd in the snow...

...or that manufacturers even have it as an option for that matter:gross:

lol..I seriously doubt Brodie is anywhere close to being rich. Paul obviously is very well off right now. But keep in mind, we're talking about a very, small, niche market, where the pie is small and the slices smaller.

Brodie is doing very well. Paul may be the only pro disc golfer richer than Brodie. Either that, or Brodie is #1 and Paul #2.

Brodie is doing very well.

Which makes me wonder why folks get in line to pay premium prices on plastic to help him do more well.:\ Why? It's not like he's a struggling up and coming wonder boy, he's a past his prime ultimate player.

Hey, I'm a fan! Here, take more of my money!:wall:

Disc golf cult of personality:p

Which makes me wonder why folks get in line to pay premium prices on plastic to help him do more well.:\ Why? It's not like he's a struggling up and coming wonder boy, he's a past his prime ultimate player.

Hey, I'm a fan! Here, take more of my money!:wall:

Disc golf cult of personality:p

If it makes you feel better... I haven't purchase any.

I had a friend that got me an Orange Get Freaky disc when they dropped. I only have pink discs in my bag, so the one Orange disc drives my OCD a bit crazy. On Monday I was all prepared to try my hand at getting a Pink Freaky, but I was an hour late due to the time zone differences. When I went to the Foundation Discord to ask if the new website was any better of an experience I heard the same complaints. Sold out within 30 seconds. People had them in their carts, went to check out and then they got a sold out message. I've left plenty of other sports/hobbies when they got to this point. It just leaves a really sour taste in my mouth. I was already willing to overpay for a basic disc, but the fact that they create a false scarcity to drive up demand makes me sick inside. This is frisbee golf, not some ****ty collectors market. Getting the discs in the hands of the fans should be their #1 priority. I don't want to have to fight a fellow golfer for a stupid piece of plastic.... All they need to do is set up some sort of Pre-Order system. Pick the Freaky and Color you want and wait for the run to be produced to be guaranteed a disc.

I wanted to buy a Freaky to support Brody. I'm not a fanboy, but I appreciate the effort he puts into the sport and his Youtube channel. He doesn't need to sell me on anything. I can live without a Zone, Discraft or anything else with massive hype. Like I said, I just wanted to support something I found value in.

I never said you had to buy them at a store.

Sorry, I'm old fashioned and don't buy online unless it's a last resort. Trying to buy a Freaky was an exception, but lesson learned. I'm one of those guys that buys a disc based on feel, I've gotta have that tactile connection with my plastic.

Got off the rails a bit.

Back to Brody. Glad to see Paul rockin Scoobers now. The Bro-Factor is rubbing off :cool:

I wanted to buy a Freaky to support Brody. I'm not a fanboy, but I appreciate the effort he puts into the sport and his Youtube channel. He doesn't need to sell me on anything. I can live without a Zone, Discraft or anything else with massive hype. Like I said, I just wanted to support something I found value in.

If you're not a fanboy, then why buy one?

Why support Brodie? What does he do for you in particular?

What effort is he putting into the sport? His only effort is crossing over and looking for a new way to make money.

This all about creating an image and selling discs (and they're doing a good job of it too), but what is the added value to the sport itself? Bringing in new disc golfers? Perhaps, but have you run into one of these new Brodie converts yet? I have. A $20 back pack with $500 worth of plastic who can't throw for Sh%t but tells you how great every discs is and acts as obnoxious as Brodie does. Yeah, great, just what we need, more screaming idiots.:wall:

If you're not a fanboy, then why buy one?

Why support Brodie? What does he do for you in particular?

I guess I come from the era of PAYING for entertainment you enjoy. I've got my youtube adblock on and I'd like to support somebody for the work they put in. I like disc golf and I enjoy seeing a different take on the sport which Brodie is providing. I'm never going to have the chance to step in the ranks with the pros, so it's nice to see somebody with a little charisma start from scratch (albeit with previous disc history) and show what it's like going from not knowing the basics of putters/mids/drivers and going to playing over 1000 rated rounds in NTs all within a 6 months. Different strokes for different folks.

I'd like to support somebody for the work they put in

Was gonna stay completely out of this till I read that......
So, you'd rather support Brodie and the whopping 6 months of work he's put in over the likes of several other players who have worked their whole lives??? That don't jive with me.

So, you'd rather support Brodie and the whopping 6 months of work he's put in over the likes of several other players who have worked their whole lives??? That don't jive with me.

Its about the content he have put out, not the amount of work he has put into improving his disc golf game

You could support Brian Earhart and buy a sweet tour series Zone. Or just a plain ESP or Z or basically any plastic. Probably easier to find a pink one too.

Oh no 4ormal, jakebake91 doesn't approve of your choices! Quick, do what he wants!

Oh no 4ormal, jakebake91 doesn't approve of your choices! Quick, do what he wants!

It's not that at all. Couldn't care less about how you spend your money or who you want to support. Im simply saying that his reasoning made no sense. Lots of people have busted their asses over the years in the sport, doing clinics, overall supporting disc golf. Brodie has been here for less than a year.