• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building the minimalist bag

Really all you'd need on the course is a neutral/stable mid, a putter of your choice, and a stable driver. With the right skill, those discs would work out great.

I'd take 4 discs with me. One stable putter, one stable mid, then a slightly overstable driver and an understable driver. For most courses, this would be all I'd need to play and probably score close to my average. It's all subjective though. I lean on a stable mid a lot most of the time anyway.

Right now, out of my current bag, I'd have 1 D Challenger, 1 MJ ESP Comet, 1 beat Z Predator, and 1 Titanium Mantis. An extra utility disc would be nice but I'd likely choose a zone, which I could cover those type of shots with a predator anyway. The Mantis is controllable and long enough to get good distance if I needed. The comet and challenger are pretty self explanatory.

This guy gets it

I like the 5-disc challenge to cover your shots, here is my first instinct:

1. XT Colt - use for understable to straight approaches and putting putter
2. Zone - overstable approaches, get out of jail forehands, all around fixer
3. Meteor - midrange, this can cover most Buzzz shots as well as holding a much better turnover
4. FD - understable to straight drives
5. Undertaker - straight to overstable drives

I'd probably throw in a Buzzz for the 6th spot.

I'm digging this for minimalist rounds currently:

Soft Wizard
Z Buzzz
Dx EX
Star EX

Wiz
150 champ Valk
175 champ RR

Do you see much overlap with Jokeri and Harp?

The Jokeri is deeper and less stable. For me, it flies straight then fades hard at the end. The Harp comes out and turns a lot faster. If I throw the Harp perfectly, I can get the same flight, but the Jokeri wants that flight. Again for me. I'd think a bigger arm would want the Harp and then use the Jokeri as a straight to turnover, then fade at the end type of disc.

Two things to note. Putters tend to be understable or very overstable for me. The Jokeri falls in this perfect slightly overstable range. In general, I prefer the shallow rim putters, but the Jokeri really works well for me.

BTW - I use the Jokeri and Colt for upshots. The Harp to putt with. I will use the Tri flat understable (can't even remember the name, starts with an S) disc for putting too. But the Harp goes straight, no matter what the wind, and I like that for putting.

I'd fill the neutral slots you feel are important to your game and then add the few utility discs to handle the extreme flights you can cover easily. Then start working on release angles.

I like this. Build the stable slots for Putter, mid, FW, DD, add utility. Earlier I did this and added two OS discs, short and long. So...

Putts: Judge
Mid: Truth
FW: Undertaker
DD: Trespass
Short OS: Zone
Long OS: Machete

Maybe I'll go back.. also, having molds that either wear in nice or have a little diff stability b/w plastics helps keeps mold down.

This is my tournament bag right now:

2 x DGA Steady: Inside the circle putts (I like having two identical ones)
Innova Dart: Jump putts, approaches
Prodiscus Jokeri: My do it all mid
Prodiscus 1st Run Laseri: My go-to, straight-understable fairway
Prodiscus Titan: Stable-overstable fairway
Prodiscus Razeri New Run: Distance driver
Prodiscus 1st Run Razeri: Overstable distance driver (Really only use for headwind)

I have been rocking a similar set up for a while now. I love the minimalist set up. My rating has increased 60 points or so since I switched to this bag. I no longer really have to think about what to throw. Every shot is pretty obvious now.

Last edited:
Meillo nailed it.. The core bag is often my playing bag with occasional options depending on the course. I have it whittled down to two putters minimum:

Spin for touch shots and anything anhyzer and straight.
Envy for straight and straight to fade

Mids: Comet/ Tursas or Tangent. Tangent is my baby for steep downhill or low ceiling it also covers an approach putter slot and short FH. Comet does the same thing with more glide. It is tough for me to choose between them. Often I take both and see which one works. If it is windy I will leave the Comet and take a Vector or something beefier.

Drivers: something that turns over and something that doesn't. The Switch is my main fairway driver right now, BH, FH, OH.. Usually I take a Relay which is less stable as a complement.. If it's windy I go to a fission Photon instead it also covers max D slot or a Vanish / inertia etc..

Protege Clutch
Z Comet
Pinnacle Ghost
Pinnacle Patriot
Pinnacle Rival
Sparkle Enemy

That is what I take in the NutSac when I travel, and it seems to work just fine.

6 Discs I would carry for minimal would be
My Putting Putter (Mcpro Aviar)
Throwing Putter (Glow Aviar3)- Some kind of overstable putter that can take a lot of power.
Midrange (FT KCpro ROC)(FT KCpro ROC) I have one that brand new and over stable and one that beat in and I can put on any line
Utility Disc (FT Firebird) Something I know what its going to do in any condition.
Distance Driver (Slighty beat in Destroyer)- Its a over stable disc I can get a lot of distance with but can also be used in shorter hard turning shots.

From my Experience, because I have built my bag this way and by adding one disc and keeping all previous ones;

(Single disc round)
Stable/neutral mid in a plastic that feels comfortable to putt with.

Always amazed at how easy it is for me to get used to putting with a DX Roc or X-Comet

(Two disc round)
Stable/slightly overstable fairway/control driver.
Some would add a putter, but after playing a while with just a mid, I've gotten used to using it for upshots and putting and I'd prefer some distance and shot shaping for a second disc.

(Three disc round)
Stable putter that I can putt, throw and use for upshots.

(Forth disc)
Neutral/understable 7ish speed fairway driver.

(Fifth disc)
Stable controllable distance that can be worked in different wind.

(Sixth disc)
Overstable Utility. Could be anything from a Zone to a Firebird. After playing with the 5 previous, you'll know what spot you're looking to fill.

Playing this way has shown "me" the benefits of cycling discs because, when I add more discs, I tend to gravitate towards what I'm already familiar with.

Everything from there on out is just adding discs for theoretical "what if" shot whimsy. Yeah, one can talk themselves into bagging anything, but in reality, I would guess that 90% of all disc golfers would maintain there same full bag score or even improve if they slimmed down to 6 discs for a little while.

I'm not being critical of guys toting 25 disc in a cart, do what you want, I'm only commenting on the minimalist side of it.

This is basically the same as a travel bag, for me. To answer the putter question, I think it'd be ridiculous NOT to use a premium plastic putter. But that's me.

My game involves relatively little understable stuff. Throwing a decent forehand and decent backhand means that I can throw almost every disc in my bag both ways.

1) Putting putter and approach disc: Plasma Ion (proton would work too)

2) Workhorse "neutral" mid that works perfectly forehand and backhand: Z Buzzz

3) Straight/Stable but not flippy fairway: Star or Champ Teebird

4) Distance driver that I can forehand and backhand with a little flip and good glide: Star Beast

5) Utility disc for headwinds, skips, overhands: Champ Firebird (could also use a Z Force or something like that)

6) Something else depending on what course I think I might be playing. That could be:
a) Stable/understable mid with cray cray glide for line shaping (i.e. X or Z Comet)
b) High speed max backhand open distance - Champ Tern
c) Flippy fairway - Neutron Relay
d) ya know, whatever ...

Cheetah/Aviar
picture.php

Latest posts