• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Buying American

snowren24

Par Member
I got inspired by the brand loyalty thread. I throw a few different brands, 1 being Latitude 64. Ive been thinking about replacing the River and XXX discs with ones made by American manufacturers.

So I did a few searches, and was surprised that this hadn't been brought up before, especially after seeing so many car buying posts pop up, and the random "buy American" posts in reference to them.

Just wondering if anyone else shared this thought, and also, are all of the American branded discs, (Innova, Discraft, etc) produced in the USA? and are the other countries discs imported, or manufactured here?

I realize its dam near impossible to live on only American made products, but it seems it would be pretty easy to disc that way.

I don't really keep up on it, but AFAIK, Ching is the only US disc company that has their discs made elsewhere (rumor was they're made in China but you might want someone else to confirm this).

I think it's different for bags, though. A lot of the less expensive bags are made overseas and most of the expensive ones are made here.

if that's your patriotic persuasion, then throw american. i'm too big a fan of latitude 64 and westside to say i'll never carry or buy one of their discs again.

My problem with "Buy American" is that so many american companies have their products made overseas. I like to help the little guy, but if the only americans getting the money for "X product" are the owners/investors than I'll buy whatever product I feel is best regardless of where it was made.

Basicly all DG manufacturers are small businesses with inhouse production, so patronizing them goes along with the spirit behind "Buy American".

Buying American, just to buy American is not good. Buy the best or the best that you can afford. If Lat 64 is making what you believe are the highest quality discs, buy them and talk about them. If more people begin to purchase Lat 64, then the American companies will have to figure out how to make their product better and/or cheaper.

The most important thing, is having the highest quality on the market and buying based on quality. If you buy lower quality american products simply because they are america, what motivation does the american company have to constantly improve it's product?

And are you really doing yourself any favors if you load up on what you would consider sub-par equipment?

I don't really keep up on it, but AFAIK, Ching is the only US disc company that has their discs made elsewhere (rumor was they're made in China but you might want someone else to confirm this).

I think it's different for bags, though. A lot of the less expensive bags are made overseas and most of the expensive ones are made here.
Yeah I bought a Revolution bag, mainly because of their durable reputation., but I liked that they were made in the US.

My problem with "Buy American" is that so many american companies have their products made overseas. I like to help the little guy, but if the only americans getting the money for "X product" are the owners/investors than I'll buy whatever product I feel is best regardless of where it was made.

Basicly all DG manufacturers are small businesses with inhouse production, so patronizing them goes along with the spirit behind "Buy American".

This is how I feel, I'm much more concerned with where the product is produced, and not so much where the ownership is from. We are in the process of buying a new car, and I wanted to stick with American, but the models just didnt impress us, so I was pleasantly surprised when i found out our top choice was made right here in Ohio.

My problem with "Buy American" is that so many american companies have their products made overseas. I like to help the little guy, but if the only Americans getting the money for "X product" are the owners/investors than I'll buy whatever product I feel is best regardless of where it was made.

Basically all DG manufacturers are small businesses with in house production, so patronizing them goes along with the spirit behind "Buy American".

Just for the record, New Balance shoes are made in America by Americans. They are also some of the most comfortable shoes out there IMO.

Fwiw, I showed a plastics eng/head of global qc some discs from multiple brands- they said lat was crappy.

I tend to favor US made products, and even more so mid western or mi made.

Just for the record, New Balance shoes are made in America by Americans. They are also some of the most comfortable shoes out there IMO.
Word. :thmbup:

I do think this thread is kind of funny because with respect to at least buying plastic, disc golfers buying American is almost automatic, albeit becoming less so over the past few years. I do wonder though what would happen if some large sporting goods manufacturer (like Nike) or large retailer (like Wallyworld) went into making their own discs. They might be crap or they might be good, but they'd probably have no reservations about using foreign labor.

Bags of course are another story.

Why would or should anyone have any reservations about using foreign labor? Doesn't anybody believe in capitalism any more?

Why would or should anyone have any reservations about using foreign labor? Doesn't anybody believe in capitalism any more?
This isn't so much about capitalism as it is about consumers keeping their money in the community.

I will agree buying an inferior home made product for sake of doing such is just silly, but FWIW, I've never had a quality control problem with Innova or Discraft products that a Lat 64 product magically cured. There are plenty of good quality discs made right here at home.

I'm a fan of buying only American, and preferably local too.

I know a lot of people don't think like that though. I'll go to the disc store closest to my house and always hear the owners trying to market Lat 64 like it's the greatest thing ever. Then i'll go to buy a Discraft and have to listen to them try to talk me out of it for 30 minutes. Whats funny is, I could have just drove straight to the Discraft Factory in the amount of time it takes them to try and talk me out of it. I wish they had a factory store so I could buy local without having to deal with that A-Hole middle man who trys to talk me into some Euro garbage. ;)

Last edited:
What we have now is more like fascism than capitalism. Foriegn labor=less US jobs. We need to start making things here again. I only buy/throw Discraft, and will continue to as long as they make thier discs in America. I don't shop at Walmart, they wan't all of thier products to be made in China. Greed is destroying our country.

When it comes to disc golf equipment, I could care less. I want the best stuff out there. Latitude 64 deserves to be one of the top disc companies as they're Opto plastic is the strongest out there in my opinion. They just make good stuff. I use everyones stuff and have no brand or country loyalty when it comes to a hobby. Now cars, yeah that is a bit different. ;)

I'm a fan of buying only American, and preferably local too.

I know a lot of people don't think like that though. I'll go to the disc store closest to my house and always hear the owners trying to market Lat 64 like it's the greatest thing ever. Then i'll go to buy a Discraft and have to listen to them try to talk me out of it for 30 minutes. Whats funny is, I could have just drove straight to the Discraft Factory in the amount of time it takes them to try and talk me out of it. I wish they had a factory store so I could buy local without having to deal with that A-Hole middle man who trys to talk me into some Euro garbage. ;)

I don't know exactly where bay city is, but I'd suggest friending mark henery or keven tomasitis. If you have events that way when they reg it'll pop up on ur news. Just let them know you'd like to buy and I'm sure they'd be happy to sell.
(Mark henery might be named whitemike on dgscene)

What we have now is more like fascism than capitalism. Foriegn labor=less US jobs. We need to start making things here again. I only buy/throw Discraft, and will continue to as long as they make thier discs in America. I don't shop at Walmart, they wan't all of thier products to be made in China. Greed is destroying our country.

ummmm, you don't really know what fascism is do you?

http://www.americanfascistmovement.com

If you wanted to do what's best for America, you would always buy the highest quality product that you can afford, regardless of where it's made...at least that's what the capitalist believes...