• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

California trip up north from SoCal November 9-11

lion

I'm feeling frisky.
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So I plan on taking one more road trip this year to upper California. I plan on inviting 3 other DGCR members to go and I just hope at least one says yes. Here is my plan. Let me know if it's possible please and if you have suggestions please keep me informed.

November 9th golfing from 7am to 5pm

Auburn Regional Park
Silva Acres
Condon
Hanging Oaks
Hammon Grove

Once we finish or once it gets to 5-5:30 in the evening we will stop or finish wherever were at and then drive and get dinner on the way up to Eureka and stay the night. I figure we'll get there sometime between 10:30-12:00. Well need affordable lodging for the night, suggestions? Anyone have a place we can shack up at? Let me know, thanks

November 10th

Humboldt State University
College of the Redwoods Eureka
Birds of Paradise
Southern Humboldt Community Park

Once we finish golfing we will drive the 5 hours to Santa Cruz and stay the night at my families house ten minutes from DeLa. We'll either get dinner in southern humboldt or on the way down to Santa Cruz. Anyone have any recommendations?

November 11th

DeLa
Santa Cruz University Object Course
Harding Ranch (if there home, will call and make arrangements if possible)
A Watsonville private course (will call and make arrangements)
I would love to play Old capital in Monteray, but if that doesn't happen I will go play The Oaks.

So Sunday the 11th has a lot of maybe's, but won't be a problem with all the top courses near by. We're ending here because the drive Sunday night won't be to long. Any must eats in the Monteray bay area? If you can get me a guide for Old Capital I will give you a free new disc.

Thoughts?
Suggestions?
Ideas?
Food?
Where to by awesome beer in Eureka?
Anything?
Guides?

Thanks

So I plan on taking one more road trip this year to upper California. I plan on inviting 3 other DGCR members to go and I just hope at least one says yes. Here is my plan. Let me know if it's possible please and if you have suggestions please keep me informed.

November 9th golfing from 7am to 5pm

Auburn Regional Park
Silva Acres
Condon
Hanging Oaks
Hammon Grove

Once we finish or once it gets to 5-5:30 in the evening we will stop or finish wherever were at and then drive and get dinner on the way up to Eureka and stay the night. I figure we'll get there sometime between 10:30-12:00. Well need affordable lodging for the night, suggestions? Anyone have a place we can shack up at? Let me know, thanks

November 10th

Humboldt State University
College of the Redwoods Eureka
Birds of Paradise
Southern Humboldt Community Park

Once we finish golfing we will drive the 5 hours to Santa Cruz and stay the night at my families house ten minutes from DeLa. We'll either get dinner in southern humboldt or on the way down to Santa Cruz. Anyone have any recommendations?

November 11th

DeLa
I would love to play Old capital in Monteray, but if that doesn't happen I will go play The Oaks.

So Sunday the 11th has a lot of maybe's, but won't be a problem with all the top courses near by. We're ending here because the drive Sunday night won't be to long. Any must eats in the Monteray bay area? If you can get me a guide for Old Capital I will give you a free new disc.

Thoughts?
Suggestions?
Ideas?
Food?
Anything?
Guides?

Thanks

I know you are a crazy golfer, but to think that you could play the Curtain, CR, BOP and Garberville in a single day is insane. Just to play BOP and Garberville in a single day is hard golfing. You would have to run every hole and speed just to attempt this. The best place to get beer in Humboldt County IMO would have to be the Redwood Curtain Brewery here in Arcata. Best beer around. The drive times might be higher than what you are thinking as well. The drive from Garberville to SF is about 5 hours so you might wanna add another hour to make it to the other side of the bay.

^^I thought the same. That is one ambitious day of golf. HA

And then to slap a drive to the bay on the end of that day. I call shenanigans.

I have never been called a slow golfer and it does sound like a tough day to try and get all those in. Maybe for Saturday I will just try to play three course. keep it simple. How long will a round at BOP take to play with 4 good golfers? My goal was to start golfing at 7am and that would give us 10-10.5 hours of daylight in the day. I was thinking Garberville wouldn't take long. I don't think there will be to much traffic Saturday. My gps does say 5 hours and twenty minutes from BOP to the house in Santa Cruz, so 6 hours with a stop. Which course is better redwood curtain or humboldt university?

I have never been called a slow golfer and it does sound like a tough day to try and get all those in. Maybe for Saturday I will just try to play three course. keep it simple. How long will a round at BOP take to play with 4 good golfers? My goal was to start golfing at 7am and that would give us 10-10.5 hours of daylight in the day. I was thinking Garberville wouldn't take long. I don't think there will be to much traffic Saturday. My gps does say 5 hours and twenty minutes from BOP to the house in Santa Cruz, so 6 hours with a stop. Which course is better redwood curtain or humboldt university?

They are one and the same. At least if you are talking the Humboldt State University course listed on here. The course that is listed on here as HSU should be listed as the Redwood Curtain (its true name), HSU has allmost nothing to do with the course, only a small amount of it actualy plays on thier land. There used to be an object course that actualy played through the school, but it's no longer played for odvious safty reasons. I'm not sure what kind of condition Garbervile would be in for playing. If they haven't mowed it in a while, you could be looking at waist high grass on some holes. I would say your beter bet is to play both the Redwood Cutain and College of the Redwoods, then go play BOP. Still gonna be a hard day. BOP is not a quick play. It was 27 holes the last time I was down there, but Caleb was also talking about adding extra holes, that day, after I left, so who knows it could be even bigger. Caleb would be beter at giving you an good estimate of how long it takes to play, I never realy am too worried about it when I'm there. Then if you have the time, try to play Garberville. Garberville isn't a quick play either, I would say it takes longer than the Redwood Curtain or College of the Redwoods, and without a guide it is prety hard to find your way around there.

When i played bop in a group of 5/6 we got started before noon, finished before sunset, all good golfers, took us like 7 hours,. I could have gotten a round on before hand, not two, good luck with that. Caleb also advised me to skip garberville as its very grown over, so i skipped it.

When i played bop in a group of 5/6 we got started before noon, finished before sunset, all good golfers, took us like 7 hours,. I could have gotten a round on before hand, not two, good luck with that. Caleb also advised me to skip garberville as its very grown over, so i skipped it.

Still patiantly waiting to see your review of BOP... :D

I saw one go up today and was thinking it might be your's at first, but then I saw that it was some other guy. I was suprised not only at how low his rating was for BOP, but also for Whistlers Bend. :\

If you are allergic to poison oak, or think you might be, I would also recommend skipping garberville. Last time I played there I did an awesome job avoiding the poison oak, then had it all over.....

definitely play the redwood curtain behind HSU.....

It is also about an hours drive from Eureka to BOP, so you need to calculate that in there too.

chris can you guide us on the 10th of november if Kaleb cannot? I might just do Cooper Gulch and College of the red woods and then drive to BOP. Sunrise is expected to be at 6:35 that morning so I think that should be plenty of time to get to BOP around 11:30-12 and disc till dark around 6pm.

I would skip Coopers and CR to play the Redwood Curtain. As for a guide, I'm still not sure of what my condition is going to be by then. As of right now I haven't been able to disc in more than a month.

Play Lake Sonoma again. It now has 18 tees to the 9 baskets. And heck, its only 10 minutes off the 101.

November 11th

DeLa

Thoughts?
Suggestions?
Ideas?
Food?
Anything?
Guides?

Thanks

Sounds like you will be having a blast, good luck.

I suggest that on the 11th you consider just a Dela/Pinto Lake combo. K.I.S.S.

There are 9:00 AM dubz at Dela, and Pinto is an amazing finish for anyday.:cool:

Latest posts