• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can someone write up a brief history of the whole Prodigy exodus?

I personally witnessed Feldberg and Dave Greenwell butt heads (when Greenwell was still with Innova) big-time at a tourney years ago. I don't think that helped the prodigy decision...

I've always liked Dave but this isn't a surprise.

What are you hoping to accomplish with this thread? I asking honestly because I can't possibly see the benefit of digging up old drama

In fairness: Paul McBeth leaving Innova for Discraft, followed by Wysocki to Innova and other major changes, is THE biggest DG news in years, and possibly could effect huge changes in the sport. One of the biggest previous changes/shakeups is the Prodigy story. So in that context, its understandable.

In fairness: Paul McBeth leaving Innova for Discraft, followed by Wysocki to Innova and other major changes, is THE biggest DG news in years, and possibly could effect huge changes in the sport. One of the biggest previous changes/shakeups is the Prodigy story. So in that context, its understandable.

That's precisely where my curiosity comes from. In his Smashboxx interview Tuesday Paul said that Discraft was so hurt by so many of their players jumping ship to Prodigy that they decided to back away from disc golf for a while and invest that money elsewhere for a while.

That's huge for the pro game. How much Discraft money did the sport miss out on for the last five years? Sponsoring players and tournaments. How much extra market share does Dynamic Discs (for example) have because Discraft backed away? It's all speculative but I think it's interesting to contemplate and maybe learn from. Just like any other type of history.

I completely forgot that Paige was sponsored by Prodigy.

All I remember from the time was it was supposed to be some player's revolution and then a bunch of proto molds came out illegally overweight and mismatched stamps (M2/M3). Even though they don't have all those pros still, they seem to have stabilized as a company. If Schusterick can regain his former self, I think we'll be seeing plenty of Prodigy wins between him and Chris Dickerson next year (and Uli if he stays).

All I remember from the time was it was supposed to be some player's revolution and then a bunch of proto molds came out illegally overweight and mismatched stamps (M2/M3). Even though they don't have all those pros still, they seem to have stabilized as a company. If Schusterick can regain his former self, I think we'll be seeing plenty of Prodigy wins between him and Chris Dickerson next year (and Uli if he stays).

Who could forget Paige's rancorous divorce from Prodigy? :popcorn:

I thought that might be the last straw for Prodigy, but they've come out with some good discs in great plastics, and are recovering. As you said, a few wins for their MPO (and FPO) players, and they'll be back on the DG map. :thmbup:

Also Cale with Airborn is a pretty big deal in Minnesota and Wisco

I think Trilogy forming had a bigger impact on the sport. They formed the same time as Prodigy. Eric McCabe and Dave Feldburg both left their sponsors the same offseason that prodigy was created.

I've heard the DGAM guys say numerous times that Trilogy isn't a real company and that its a fan-made up name to encompass DD, Westside and Lat 64.

They have a good crop of Euro players that could make some noise also...
Oh yeah, for sure. Seppo Paju is some clutch putting away from being elite tier, if he isn't already.
Who could forget Paige's rancorous divorce from Prodigy? :popcorn:

I thought that might be the last straw for Prodigy, but they've come out with some good discs in great plastics, and are recovering. As you said, a few wins for their MPO (and FPO) players, and they'll be back on the DG map. :thmbup:

Uh, well me apparently. For some reason I thought she went from Discraft to Dynamic. :\

Probably because she was throwing a bunch of prodigy stamped discs that weren't prodigy made.;)

Na Paige shredded with PA4's, M4's, D4's as well as many others. The whole stamp stuff was only at the very beginning and was only a few molds - mainly Trackers from DC and Firebirds from Innova.

Feldberg went to Lat. 64.

Wasn't there the rumor of him being let go at Innova and then expecting a spot on Prodigy, which didn't happen?

Not a rumor on the Feldberg thing. Got the boot.
I've heard it confirmed by enough people I believe that Innova let Feldberg go.

I heard rumors that one (of several) of the things that he was doing that got him the boot from Innova was his active participation in the development of the Prodigy idea and that it was assumed that he was going to move to Prodigy, but there was a falling out there and he ended up hung out to dry. The Lat 64 sponsorship bailed him out since otherwise he was about out of options. Those were just rumors, though.

Latest posts