• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can you carry discs on a plane?

I've heard that Samuel L Jackson has been on a plane with Sidewinders, Kraits, Cobras, Vipers, Mambas, Pythons & Rattlers...

Ive carried mine through the Middle East, SE Asia, Europe, UK, and all over the U.S. No problems at all. Once on a trip, a passenger beside me tried to bring a rock on the plane. That caused a major problem. I think they thought the potential to break out a window was at issue. Since then I always hand them the most flexible disc in my bag at the hand search. On the xray machine - discs look like shadows, so they want to see what's in the bag.

I fly with my discs once a year back home. One time I had funny looks at the airport another time I got the tsa agent say he plays also. Only had one problem one time. the flight attendant did not like my grip bag under the seat in front of me. so I turned it a little and made sure my leg was keeping it out of sight when she walked back over.

The one thing I do is make sure to was all your disc well before you fly. just incase you have any chemicals picked up from the park

I've heard that Samuel L Jackson has been on a plane with Sidewinders, Kraits, Cobras, Vipers, Mambas, Pythons & Rattlers...

Thank you!!!!!!!!! This is about the only fitting reply to the thread. No way this is a serious question.

I've flown with a full bag (~18 discs) about a dozen times in the past 18 months and was only stopped once to make sure the discs weren't "sharp" or "heavy like plates". Occasionally an agent will ask what they are, but usually my bag passes through without a whisper.

Snakes on a plane
1381652_664510283567226_69852956_n.jpg

I fly with my discs once a year back home. One time I had funny looks at the airport another time I got the tsa agent say he plays also. Only had one problem one time. the flight attendant did not like my grip bag under the seat in front of me. so I turned it a little and made sure my leg was keeping it out of sight when she walked back over.

The one thing I do is make sure to was all your disc well before you fly. just incase you have any chemicals picked up from the park

What grip bag do you have? I'm about to carry on my
C14 next month. Hoping for no issues... Don't trust checking the bag in to be honest in risk of damage or loss. :(

In days gone by, my daughter actually used to carry her pet corn snake in her pocket as she traveled by plane back and forth to school. No one ever said a word. Ah, the good old days.

DO NOT put them in your checked bag, I did that on a flight to Amsterdam and it warped the bejezus out of some of them, Star plastic especially. They did eventually return to their original shape just by leaving them out, but I was not happy as I was actually moving there at the time and that was my stock of discs for the foreseeable future. Other than that I have flown a number of times with discs and TSA has never even turned a cheek. Once after a bomb scare they were checking random bags with a bomb-smelling device at the gate and I got picked. As soon as I opened by bag the agent said "Oh, you're a golfer!" Went a lot smoother than I thought it would.

And for the people worried about "residue," I think a lot of people burn right before going to the airport, so I don't think residue would be a big deal. To take it to another level, think of all the people flying back from Amsterdam (or Colorado) with some pretty smelly dirty clothes either on or in their bag. They don't get messed with. And I lived in Amsterdam for a year and visited a few times otherwise, so I have made that flight back a lot and never seen anyone get messed with. I have even heard a reasonable amount of people talk about flying with actual doob, but that was mostly in the pre-9/11 days.

Also, I think most dogs are trained to sniff bombs these days. Not saying there aren't some good old fashioned drug dogs out there still.

I've traveled internationally & domestically a bunch of times with my discs as a carry-on, pretty much each trip through an airport I get stopped at the security checkpoint. The TSA bag checker's face goes from highly suspicious to moderately confused then to the inevitable look of disgust followed by pity. It's a kind of a pain, but well worth the alternative of having the belly loaders power-bomb my bag in and out of planes like Captain Insane-o.

My wife and I have had no issues outside of TSA folks wanting an extra look in the bag. We've had less issues internationally than domestic, including several trips to and from Canada and one through Fiji to New Zealand where they didn't even notice in Fiji that I was accidentally carrying a full nalgene of water through the security checkpoint. The metal salts used for weighting agents apparently change how the discs look on x-rays, my wife's 150 class stuff seems to attract a lot less attention than the heavier discs I'm usually carrying.

no way I'm checking my DG bag in... that goes with me on the plane...

Never had an issue once... been to Australia and Sweden with it as well as stateside trips... Maybe I got all TSA agents that either knew what they were or didn't care anyway...

I once had a TSA agent looking a little perplexed at the X-Ray image. One of the other agents looked over and began explaining disc golf to him.

Keep in mind, their job is to keep potential bombs and weapons off planes. A bag full of frisbees really isn't going to raise much alarm.

I once had a TSA agent looking a little perplexed at the X-Ray image. One of the other agents looked over and began explaining disc golf to him.

Keep in mind, their job is to keep potential bombs and weapons off planes. A bag full of frisbees really isn't going to raise much alarm.

I think their concern comes from the fact that discs with metal salts as weighting agents can look like sharp metal discs on the x-ray machine if the tech doesn't know what they are already. Once they actually look in the bag it's never an issue.

I think their concern comes from the fact that discs with metal salts as weighting agents can look like sharp metal discs on the x-ray machine if the tech doesn't know what they are already. Once they actually look in the bag it's never an issue.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Even if they have to peek in the bag, once they realize that they're not going to bring down a plane, there's no issue.

First time I've seen this thread. Laughing my *** off! It's actually funny to see your bag go through the scanner!

Latest posts