• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Canadian Disc golf

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Lotta room for only 126 courses...what's the future for disc golf in Canada ?

I'm about to get my first taste of Canadian disc golf. Headed to Vancouver next week. The course scenery looks amazing. I'd love to see what else is out there in other regions.

umm yeah we suck!!!!

Calgary currently has 3 official courses

1 is a private course that is only available to members of the community...no one plays there...it is wasted
we used to have access for the same membership fee unfortunately we lost that privilege due to a lack of smarts and "smoking"

2 others are 9 hole courses

1 of which has a second set of tee boxes (so to speak) so that it can play as an 18, it is a weak course, everything is virtually an open righty hyzer

the other course is on an island by the zoo near downtown...it has some decent holes

the course got put in to bring traffic in to help clear up some unsavoury behaviour (junkies and guys looking for guys)

it worked and it is now a nice place

so now the City has decided to pull the courses and redevelop the island

we have the odd object course in some parks around town

it's really quite sad given how, as a city, Calgary, is quite affluent, and we have a decent amount of land space

anyway, I'm working with our club and the City to try to get approval for 2 new 18 hole courses to be put in this year or (more likely) next

they will be quality...perhaps not top quality like some of the US courses but still very good

DG is still quite underground here and we really need to work on developing the scene and getting more members for the club

Yeah there are only 2 in Winnipeg. One is a 9 hole course with a second set of tee boxes. It's a decent course, but short and easy to score well. The other is an 18 hole course which we are trying to redesign and improve with signage and tee pads. That one is a nice course with some interesting holes, and I can actually use a driver on the holes so that's nice.

I'm not sure what's holding Canada back though, just need more time to grow I reckon.

Drivethru

if you are in Vancouver...take the ferry over to Pender Island and Salt Spring

Sorry to read about the lack of DGC in the Calgary area. This is one place I want to visit and would love to play some DG instead of just sightseeing, but I hoping that in a couple years this will change as I am tentively planning a road trip to Glacier NP via Calgary, Edmonton.

I've played some really cool DGC in Canada, But I didn't go out to Pender Island and that will haunt me until I do. But I played some really cool DGC in Ontario (Etobicoke, Toronto Island, St. Thomas < VA Barrie> If U play any of the Vancouver DGC I would recommend playing Mundy in Coquitlam,Little Mt. QE park in Vancouver and Quilchena this DGC was very challenging and had a lot of pretty ladies walking the walking path that surrounded the park..

Have fun and be carefull when crossing the border.

Ontario has got a bunch of courses, with more added each year. Some really nice, some not so much...

Here's a link to DGO (disc golf Ontario) http://www.discgolfontario.com/index.php

Here's our club site (Peterborough, Ontario) http://www.peterboroughdiscgolf.ca/

For anyone that's interested...

Getting bigger and bigger up here, new courses in every year...

I don't know if you mentioned it, but white spruce in Brampton, Ontario (on the way to ontario if you're in niagara falls) is worth a play if you're in Niagara Falls, Canada and don't want to cross back to NY for dg...

I'm sitting in a beautiful condo in Canmore right now. :) Not looking good for me in terms of dg though as I'm with the wife's family and they have **** planned all weekend. May squeeze a quick one in at the pitch n putt at three sisters but that Nordic center course is sooo sweet and soooo close. :( Guess I'll have to wait for the ace race in oct.

umm yeah we suck!!!!

Calgary currently has 3 official courses

1 is a private course that is only available to members of the community...no one plays there...it is wasted
we used to have access for the same membership fee unfortunately we lost that privilege due to a lack of smarts and "smoking"

2 others are 9 hole courses

1 of which has a second set of tee boxes (so to speak) so that it can play as an 18, it is a weak course, everything is virtually an open righty hyzer

the other course is on an island by the zoo near downtown...it has some decent holes

the course got put in to bring traffic in to help clear up some unsavoury behaviour (junkies and guys looking for guys)

it worked and it is now a nice place

so now the City has decided to pull the courses and redevelop the island

we have the odd object course in some parks around town

it's really quite sad given how, as a city, Calgary, is quite affluent, and we have a decent amount of land space

anyway, I'm working with our club and the City to try to get approval for 2 new 18 hole courses to be put in this year or (more likely) next

they will be quality...perhaps not top quality like some of the US courses but still very good

DG is still quite underground here and we really need to work on developing the scene and getting more members for the club

This is a pretty fair assessment of the dg scene in Calgary. I'm still bitter over getting kicked out of the private course. Such a waste of a good course. Can't wait for the new courses to hopefully start gaining traction. That Old Refinery layout/land has some great holes and potential. Imagine if we get a course in and get the city to mow some actual fairways in a couple times a year!

Wheres the third proposal for mark? ORP, baker and elliston?

Sorry to read about the lack of DGC in the Calgary area. This is one place I want to visit and would love to play some DG instead of just sightseeing, but I hoping that in a couple years this will change as I am tentively planning a road trip to Glacier NP via Calgary, Edmonton.

I've played some really cool DGC in Canada, But I didn't go out to Pender Island and that will haunt me until I do. But I played some really cool DGC in Ontario (Etobicoke, Toronto Island, St. Thomas < VA Barrie> If U play any of the Vancouver DGC I would recommend playing Mundy in Coquitlam,Little Mt. QE park in Vancouver and Quilchena this DGC was very challenging and had a lot of pretty ladies walking the walking path that surrounded the park..

Have fun and be carefull when crossing the border.

Put Wetaskiwin on your list as well. It, Canmore and Drumheller are the best courses around these parts.

Query: Why doesn't Searchmont, north of the Sault, have disc available as a summer activity? Moreover, why is this area of Ontario completely bereft of courses?

My family has a camp about 30 minutes up the road from Searchmont. I go up to the camp several times a year. Each time I go, I marvel at the terrain. Natural beauty and unique features abound. There are masterpieces just waiting to be designed.

Is it remoteness? Is it legal restrictions on land use? Lack of interest and funding? A non-existent scene?

DGers of Ontario! Reaction?

Disc Golf, eh?

Heading near London,ON (St. Thomas, actually) this Sunday to play:

Waterworks
V.A. Barrie Park

Wanted to do something different for my 70th course played.

Put Wetaskiwin on your list as well. It, Canmore and Drumheller are the best courses around these parts.

Rudy's Course(s)
which I shall call Falcon's Flight are also exceptional

open to anyone to play but not a public course and might be hard to find

2 18 hole courses including a par 5 1000+ foot hole
lots of variety

I come from a disc golf mecca in Ann Arbor, MI. I'm marrying a Canadian and moving to Windsor, ON in less than a year. :thmbup:

There is no disc golf in Windsor. :thmbdown:

I've been a president of a local disc golf club and designed a few courses and been the main POC with the park during said courses installation.

My goal is to install at least one course in Windsor or somewhere nearby. I need help though, since the DG community seems to be non-existent in the area. I already contacted the parks department in Windsor and while they seemed open to disc golf, they basically said that no one else is asking for a course so why would they put one in? My plan is to get a booth at a local festival (like the Tecumseh Corn Fest) and setup a basket while showing DG videos on a TV, (Maybe I should ask the PDGA for their cool tent?) :) Collect signatures then submit them to the park department of Windsor.

Thanks for starting this thread. Anyone in the area have any help or advice for me? Thanks in advance.

I was in Montreal early '09 and was terribly disappointed no courses were nearby. I'd hoped to get my first international round in. Ah well, it appears a nine hole was installed later in '09 so I've something at least to look forward to. I visit Montreal for business and haven't the opportunity to travel great distances for DG so I'll take what I get.
Get with it Canucks!
:)