• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Canadian Disc Golfers Corner or from Canada eh

Feeling the fingers of winter closing in around here too, finally getting night time drops into the minus's and the occasional snowfall"warning". Haven't seen any snow yet but it's mighty close. I kinda feel like we're a month ahead of schedule. Time to put away the X comets, I probably won't get a chance to throw the scorpion I recently acquired for the next 3-4 months haha.

Played another hidden super short course here on Saturday.. Lots of fun.. Heavily wooded and short. Nice to try something new. Going to have to clean up the yard and prepare for the white fun! :(

Nothing else to report

A bit of a hiatus form playing. Was in Ontario over Christmas holidays to visit the siblings. Didn't bring the discs with me as there was only one course I could see within a reasonable distance. I missed a stretch of sub -20 temperatures in Calgary during that 2 week period, so didn't have a chance to test out some heated socks haha.

Anyway, temperatures are now bouncing between negatives and positives over the day cycle, which means plenty of ice here. The popular courses will have icy tee areas and trafficked fairways. Micro-fibre towels love to stick to ice, so if you ahve unsure footing use one to shore it up. Plenty of ice/hard pack disc action can both work for you, if you're smart, or cause damage.

Got some MRI results on my right knee back last month which have me mulling over a switch to lefty (damage largely done by 2 soccer injuries spaced 15 years apart). For longevity in the sport may be prudent. A lot of the courses here have lefty friendly aspects, but taking multiple steps backwards in throwing at first is giong to be frustrating if I do. Was looking to start competing in tournaments this year.

A couple hours from Calgary in Lethbridge, I saw that they had barely any of the white stuff on a course. Jealous. We have a big back yard here.

Random thoughts.

Going to be finishing up a winter league this weekend and it looks like there's a Canadian signed up. If he doesn't have anyone to card up with I'll invite him to play with me. People from Canada just seem so nice.

Looks like he has been touring around a fair amount as his last several tournaments have been in Oregon, Arizona, and Texas.

Going to be finishing up a winter league this weekend and it looks like there's a Canadian signed up. If he doesn't have anyone to card up with I'll invite him to play with me. People from Canada just seem so nice.

Looks like he has been touring around a fair amount as his last several tournaments have been in Oregon, Arizona, and Texas.

Yeah we're not bad bunch, any idea who the Canadian is? Just watch out if he's drinking Canadian beer. Haha we love catching Americans unaware :)

Got some MRI results on my right knee back last month which have me mulling over a switch to lefty (damage largely done by 2 soccer injuries spaced 15 years apart). For longevity in the sport may be prudent. A lot of the courses here have lefty friendly aspects, but taking multiple steps backwards in throwing at first is giong to be frustrating if I do. Was looking to start competing in tournaments this year.

A couple hours from Calgary in Lethbridge, I saw that they had barely any of the white stuff on a course. Jealous. We have a big back yard here.

Random thoughts.

Well I don't know how your forehand is but I developed mine with all the damage to my front left leg (lhbh). I find its a lot easier to get distance without pain. Especially if I'm just lumping it on those long holes.

You might as well started getting a little practice in wronghanded too, it definitely sucks but it's nice to work the other side a bit, get a few trick shots.. Ha, crap I had to throw a pie (turboputt) this weekend. I missed.

In some ways it's nice because you can train with much more information than you had when you learned with your dominant hand

Yeah we're not bad bunch, any idea who the Canadian is?

Just some guy. Plays in the age protected divisions and has a PDGA number from 2020 or 2021.

If he ends up playing on my card and seems good natured I'm looking forward to saying "nice shot, eh?"

Just want to throw a shout out to Johnny F B... if you are on the FB pages you've seen his awesome dye work.. Great person, great discgolfer, overseas right now supporting the boys. And playing Discgolf all over Europe! Makes me want to Go Navy!!!

A little jealous his R and R!!!

Saw the Cambell River layout got approved for the BC open, temp course in a park.

Tourney over here is happening for real, first time in last 2 yrs.. Better brush up. Doubles on Pender is looking like a temp layout at the school. Always fired up about a freshy!

Relentless precipitation here, some overland flooding, and all the courses are soup. Caddied for a friend a couple weeks ago and wore rubber boots.

Tourney in 2 weeks at a course in a valley, so I guess we'll see if it starts to drain and dry up before then.

Relentless precipitation here, some overland flooding, and all the courses are soup. Caddied for a friend a couple weeks ago and wore rubber boots.

Tourney in 2 weeks at a course in a valley, so I guess we'll see if it starts to drain and dry up before then.

Yikes man, that's not fun to disc in.. You in Langley or the Fraser Valley? I heard Passive Park is full of water. I hope it dry out for you in time :)

Not BC. In the drain basin of the prairies, southern MB.

Impatience is kicking in with some peeps, as there's a group of friends out now playing in rubber boots and 60-80 km/hr winds. And it's been cold and raining for days. May not sound like such a big deal, but the ground is still frozen so the water has no where to go.

About half the tourney course is down there somewhere. That water's around 10 ft. deep.

Attachments

• A1A9A26B-4678-45CA-9A4F-6CB50A42007B.jpg
    A1A9A26B-4678-45CA-9A4F-6CB50A42007B.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 15
About half the tourney course is down there somewhere. That water's around 10 ft. deep.

I'd give you a thumbs down if there was one haha. Crazy man!!!

Does the freezing screw up the baskets?

Your buddies are hardcore desperate for some spring throwing! That was a gross snowstorm that blew through there the other week. No wonder Disc Republic isn't moving much inventory right now.

... I'd send you a pic of it out here in BC but I will just let you imagine...

The rain let up late yesterday so we (dog and me) did 14 holes. Looks like the wind is picking up and more rain is coming, time to take him out again and hit the hot tub before it's too wet. :D

I lived on the coast for quite a while and have played Pender. I helped the IDGS crew (all buddies of mine) put in the baskets at the short-lived Malahat course (lugging a rock drill and compressor hose up and down the mountain), and was around when Mary's Farm started up.

Yeah, they were Jonesin' for a round so they braved the wet and icy wind. When baskets are installed properly in this climate, a 10' galv. sleeve is pounded in so the baskets don't lean when the ground shifts. Even if they heave a bit they stay straight..

Hope to make it back out in your direction soon. There're a lot of good courses on the way.

Haven't bumped this in a while.. I saw a post on Michael R.'s FB about the new team design for Chance Stad our Canadian MVP player.

picture.php

Couple of big tourneys last month, anyone place?

Well congratulations to Chris Hartmann a fine ambassador of the sport and for innova for laying down three 1000+rated rounds to win the 50+ Beaver State Fling!

Way to go buddy! Hell of a great guy, real happy he got this win. BC local and I couldn't say enough good stuff about him. Always been a top notch class act and a joy to play with! Tons of work on Raptors Knoll and kids, just a fantastic DG ambassador !

Congratulations to Chance Stad for the MA40 win!! Well done son! Happy to see a BC local and a nice guy live up to his "highest rated" rep. Especially an MVP sponsored player!

Jordyn Little from the next island over on Saltspring got 4th in FJ12, long drive in her division and an Ace! Well done!

Made a trip to NS to visit the folks and got a couple courses in. The closest in New Minas (The Links at Lockhart Ryan) and Clifton Estate, which is in the town I grew up in (didn't exist back then however).

The Links is a fairly wooded course and was a blast, with only a handful of holes with a lot of air space. Glad for all the trees as it was about 30 degrees with 5-6 degrees on top of that with the humidex, so in the shade for the majority of play. Lots of elevation play on top of the trees as well. Fantastic. Leaned heavily on my Uplink, Suspect, and Volt (side-arm flicks). A couple of the open holes have your throwing over/past a beach volleyball court, played as OB. Glad no one was around.

Clifton Estate is a 9 basket course but with 18 pads. Far more open than The Links, but trees and tree lines scattered in numbers about the Haliburton House property. The House sits atop a hill and the course goes around it, so a fair bit of elevation to onsider even on the longer holes. On the first layout commented to my mother who accompanied, wouldn't want to have a disc land in that pond. It's covered in green algae and would be a nightmare to locate with the carpet of detritus on the bottom. Played the second layout and pooched a side-arm and sure enough I see it dip behind a crest and my heart sinks as a sploosh soon follows. Come over the hill and see a gap smack dab in the middle of it clear of algae. Lost my nice beat in light fission volt. Second disc ever lost on a course :-( Only complaint about the course is that it could use signage. Udisc was super useful otherwise would've needed to take a photo of the course map at hole 1 haha.

Lost my neutron Crave which I was beginning to beat in and now this. Wasn't gong to jump to buying new discs but now that I lost the Volt may just have to bundle it with the fission crave.

Was first time playing at sea level as well after playing at 1km nearly in my entirety of playing. Result on stability changes wasn't as drastic as I thought it would be but it was certainly noticeable.

Well Team Canada did well in the world's.. A bronze medal finish.. Good team, great folks, #3 out of 24 countries is very kick ass!

So happy for you all!!!!

Bunch of my favourite people there, thanks for representing and thanks for what you've always done.. Truly great players there, win or lose, inspirational, genuine discers and 100% Canadian Certified Hardcore Good Sh#'ts!!!!

Go Canada!!!

Like I play with y"all from time to time and you've always been class, dunno if I'd qualify you all as world class :D but there you are!

On another note, got a dude that needs some old volts.. Apparently plasma is preferred, how noobie... ah well, so tough to part with those but I offered one neutron up (inked FR) before he won his div at am world's... another stand up Canadian OG discer... happy to support the team! PM me if you got some up here, you've probably seen the post already...

Go Canada!!!! Gosh golly gee whiz we are all awesome!

Last edited:
So there's some new Chance Stad discs coming.. Same print, soft neutron uplinks :D (getting a couple), soft glitches and glow envy.

There's a memorial tournament for Fritz on Saltspring island early November, PDGA sanctioned and not a 150 class this time. Registration is on Discgolfscene, I believe it's the first event of Duck Golf. He was a good fella, I always enjoyed playing with him, I'd like to do it but there's no ferry there and back haha.

Could run the boat over and cab it.. That would be miserable if it's raining, at least when you are driving you can crank the heat and warm up, rather than hopping in a boat and becoming a wind blown icecube.

Who else has their winter tourney season firing up?

I haven't been on this thread for a while (mostly down stirring the pot in politics)

but for those that have played Falcon's Flight or in Alberta generally

Ron (Rudy) Falconer passed away in September the day before the Falcon's Flight (13??) was to begin, losing his long battle with cancer

For those that don't know Rudy purchased land in Sundre many years ago and set up 2 courses (perhaps the best in Alberta) that we have worked on, developed, grown over the years to be what they are now

Rudy also designed a couple of other courses, was the PDGA rep for a while, set up the Calgary Disc Golf Club

Basically an ambassador and grower of the sport

He will be missed

Damn snow is here. Hopefully not for long, good thing I don't live in Calgary any more! Haha suckers..

It sucks to be Manu.. .... I know.. I know..

I gotta go move my van down the hill so I can get out this week, too soon. This doesn't happen until Jan usually. Won't last. Unlike Edmonton!! Haha. Friggin iceblock up there!

Sorry no disc golf news... Duck golf is kicking off over here I guess haha.