• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Carts – future or fad

There are courses I play where you'd be carrying it the entire 27 holes of up and down hill travel ;)

I don't have a cart at the moment, I want one for longer (flatter) courses, but I think you're stuck having both if you every play anything that doesn't really resemble a ball golf course.

I play courses such as "Bicentennial", "Coyote", "Beaver", "Saddle Hills", "Zboaz", "Veterans" in the DFW area. Not going to say it's always no problem with a cart, but these courses are anything but ball golf courses and I've never wished I was carrying a bag instead. Granted...I doubt I would play cart or no cart on courses more rugged than those. lol.. :p

I play courses such as "Bicentennial", "Coyote", "Beaver", "Saddle Hills", "Zboaz", "Veterans" in the DFW area. Not going to say it's always no problem with a cart, but these courses are anything but ball golf courses and I've never wished I was carrying a bag instead. Granted...I doubt I would play cart or no cart on courses more rugged than those. lol.. :p

I'll have to google some of those courses. I have a hard time imagining anything too unfriendly for carts in the DFW area.

Silly flatlanders.

Buffalo Ridge is one of those places it'd start to suck with a cart. Especially 'the back nine'. The old Marana Rock course would have been ugly in a lot of spots as well. AZ ain't flat.

I bought a cart a couple years ago. It's one of the best things I've ever bought. Great for those long days of course bagging :thmbup:

You pick up/set down your bag 6-7 times per hole.
That's over 100 times per round of 18
Add on 50-60 throws with that same shoulder and you realize what an advantage a cart is.

This is why I switched to a cart. Wear and tear of - at the time - 18 years playing - was enough for me to give up on bags when my last tournament bag died.

I've never had a backpack - but I've also never liked the concept. Always seemed like taking the tournament bag and making it more over-blown. More weight + more room for crap you don't need. Discs + Water + Crap = too much weight on your back.

Carts can't go everywhere - and they can be a nuisance. Loading and unloading them in and out of the automobile, navigating rough terrain - all factors. I had a Delta for nearly 3 years - and it certainly had it's limitations - I found myself avoiding some courses for nuisance. I sold it and now I'm looking at alternatives.

The Delta was a good cart - but like all carts - it's got it's limitations.

This is why I switched to a cart. Wear and tear of - at the time - 18 years playing - was enough for me to give up on bags when my last tournament bag died.

I've never had a backpack - but I've also never liked the concept. Always seemed like taking the tournament bag and making it more over-blown. More weight + more room for crap you don't need. Discs + Water + Crap = too much weight on your back.

Carts can't go everywhere - and they can be a nuisance. Loading and unloading them in and out of the automobile, navigating rough terrain - all factors. I had a Delta for nearly 3 years - and it certainly had it's limitations - I found myself avoiding some courses for nuisance. I sold it and now I'm looking at alternatives.

The Delta was a good cart - but like all carts - it's got it's limitations.

There are now smaller Disc Golf Backpacks out in the smaller beginner style Like the Discovery by Innova and the Cadet by Dynamic Disc. These tend to max out at 15-20 discs depending on the brand.

Then in the Dynamic Disc Trooper style as well like with the BP-3 from Prodigy and the Discraft Tournament backpack to name a few, then the One that Latitude 64 makes for its Trooper level bag that is missing true bottle holders and uses some smaller pockets for that. Discmania also has a disc bag in this category that is not bad either. They are smaller so you do carry less crap with them yet still able hold 20 to ~25 max depending on the brand and how they set up the bag inside. Gateway had a few before they stopped making them in 2010's for the way too big Ozark backpack that were perfect for the job for the size they were but they did not sell very well so they got dropped from production.

Only thing is I went for a cheap almost $40 bag now (got mine for $31) that has bigger pockets, Athletico Disc Golf Powershot Backpack due to wanting to fit my Vertex Angler Backpack's Seat on the bag when the backpack failed in late 2019 for the second time that year.

I feel that Backpacks with built in seats are going to be the fad/novelty for now, not carts, the cart made by companies acutally dates to the Gotta Go Gotta Throw disc golf cart in the 2000's and at the time in 2000's carts were a fad, usually homemade not the GGGT cart. Now the cart is here to stay for disc golf.

Last edited:
There is a chance my idea of hilly and your idea of hilly are 2 different things. lol..

Not so much the hill but the angle of these hills to be the problem for carts, from what I have seen with players using carts.

Some carts then like the Rovac style either home made or Rovac make for a better hill cart as long as one is not playing tight wooded hill courses.

I carry a bag, couldn't imagine a cart on my favorite course. Some steep, rocky up and downs. but still I have seen people use them.

Definitely understand the back issues.

I carry a bag, couldn't imagine a cart on my favorite course. Some steep, rocky up and downs. but still I have seen people use them.

Definitely understand the back issues.

Yep I understand too, having shoulder issues that made it so I could not use a single strap/single strap with clip on backpack style. Those put more pressure on the shoulder or would have me with single strap be forced to use left shoulder leaving me with sore left shoulder during a round. With a backpack the back is doing more work so it is better for my shoulder. I know I should use a cart, but I have never really liked carts. At least my backpack with seat added is going to work for my needs despite being a tad heavy.

I bought the Rovic 3 wheeled fold up cart like a month ago. By far the best investment in the sport that I've made. I'm 45 and have been playing for 11 years so i was really starting to feel it after 36 and 54 hole days. Now i can throw 54 holes and still have plenty of gas left in the tank. My throws are better too. The constant lifting and dropping of a loaded bag really wears on you.

I bought the Rovic 3 wheeled fold up cart like a month ago. By far the best investment in the sport that I've made. I'm 45 and have been playing for 11 years so i was really starting to feel it after 36 and 54 hole days. Now i can throw 54 holes and still have plenty of gas left in the tank. My throws are better too. The constant lifting and dropping of a loaded bag really wears on you.

This is the biggest thing about using a cart. Makes a huge difference.

I finally took the plunge and got a Zuca. I also am starting to get up in age and tiring of carrying a bag. I also like the idea of always having a seat nearby. I will still keep a small bag for when navigating the mountain goat courses.

I see people with carts at ZBoaz. Seems like it would be a huge pita on 2, 9 and the creek crossings 14/18).

The rest is flatish. Oh, forgot 8.

For those that don't know, These are 20-30' elevation changes. Not slopes. I think the creek crossings would be really tough, particularly when there is water.

I'm 39 and been chucking since I was 17. Some of these modern monster courses can do me in by hole 18. I ditched the bag at 36 and it's made a huge difference in my game. And made the course far more enjoyable. No longer feel like I'm going backpacking.

I finally took the plunge and got a Zuca. I also am starting to get up in age and tiring of carrying a bag. I also like the idea of always having a seat nearby. I will still keep a small bag for when navigating the mountain goat courses.

I went all cart for 3 years. Meant I stopped playing some of the local billygoat courses. I just sold that cart and am moving to a cart that I hope is a better fit for most games -> and I need to get a small weekend bag so I can go back to those couple courses that a cart just won't play.

I think there are some folks who play the same 1-2 courses every week which will certainly impact their opinions on a cart - if their local is a billygoat option. I like to drive around and mix it up, playing different courses - so I see all sorts of terrain - which makes the cart much more viable.

I use a cart when I know it's no problem and I need the most discs for the course. Half the time I use the Innova 12 disc shoulder bag and a tripod stool. The bag is always sat on the stool when it's not on my shoulder and my butt is not on the stool.