• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chains in Cumberland, MD!!!!

Jimb

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
My family and I were driving from Keyser, WV to Cumberland, MD today on Rt 220 for an after Thanksgiving dinner. I'm on 220 a lot but I always turn off just before I get to this particular stretch of road.

So we're cruising along and I see the old league softball field where I used to play. And what do I see... the yellow chastity belt of an Innova DISCatcher. I'm like, did you see that??? And my wife says 'Yeah, and there's another one over there." So I'm freaking out. I, literally, got chills up my spine. Why are there chains in Cumberland? Why didn't anyone tell me? What's up with that?

Unfortunately, we were already late so I couldn't stop. But tomorrow, I'm totally there. This is less than 15 minutes from my house. The closest courses that I was aware of before are a minimum of an hour from me so I am totally on fire.

Hopefully I'll have some information tomorrow. I gotta relax... I'm totally wired!!!

My family and I were driving from Keyser, WV to Cumberland, MD today on Rt 220 for an after Thanksgiving dinner. I'm on 220 a lot but I always turn off just before I get to this particular stretch of road.

So we're cruising along and I see the old league softball field where I used to play. And what do I see... the yellow chastity belt of an Innova DISCatcher. I'm like, did you see that??? And my wife says 'Yeah, and there's another one over there." So I'm freaking out. I, literally, got chills up my spine. Why are there chains in Cumberland? Why didn't anyone tell me? What's up with that?

Unfortunately, we were already late so I couldn't stop. But tomorrow, I'm totally there. This is less than 15 minutes from my house. The closest courses that I was aware of before are a minimum of an hour from me so I am totally on fire.

Hopefully I'll have some information tomorrow. I gotta relax... I'm totally wired!!!

Dude all I can think of when I hear cumberland MD is jail. Ive been to cumberland twice in my life and both times i ended up in the rockville MD jail on b.s charges. About ten years ago I was driving through cumberland and got pulled over ( to this day dont know why iI was stopped, the cop was a major dick and searched me and my buddy and tore apart my car on the side of the road with no probable cause, to make a long story short he found a tiny bit of weed on my buddy. We BOTH were arrested, him for possesion of a small amount of weed and me for INTENT TO INHALE MJ, i swear to god INTENT TO INHALE MJ, i never heard of anything so crazy and clearly a violation of ones rights, but it happened, my car was impounded and I spent the night in rockville MD jail. At the time mike tyson was in the same jail for raping that one woman, I got released and came back to michigan and never went to court for it or anything, I got a letter years later saying for 300$ they would drop the bench warrant for me in MD so I did it. The other time I was napping in a parking lot after a grateful dead concert and was promptly arrested for vagrancy (basically nothing). I hate MD police, Ive never seen such over zelous law enforcement anywhere else and Ive been all over the U.S. F DA MD police depts!!!! And theres a huge federal prison in cumberland too, those guys LOVE locking people up around there.

Last edited:
That really bites! What's kind of sadis that I can see the Federal Prison if I walk out back at work. And from where I saw the baskets, you can see the big State Prison. It's hard to get away from them.

I'm fortunate to have been able to avoid major run ins with the local law. And that seems crazy that you got pulled over in Cumberland and had to spend the night two hours away in Rockville? That's totally nuts.

My strangest run-in was in Georgetown, MD. I was driving home with two band-mates after playing a gig at the Grog and Tankard. When I played I was totally sober so I had nothing in me. I got pulled over just up the road from the club. The cop said that I had a headlight out and gave me a verbal warning... after seeing that I was obviously sober. Once we got onto the interstate my headlights seemed fine. So we pulled over at a rest stop. My headlights were totally fine on both low and high beams. So he was totally profiling us based on the fact that we were a bunch of long hair metal heads and he assumed that he had an easy catch.

Jimb,

Keep us posted about the course, hopefully it's open to the public and it can be added to this site. It would be nice to have another course to add to Maryland.

Cumberland Jail

Dude all I can think of when I hear cumberland MD is jail. Ive been to cumberland twice in my life and both times i ended up in the rockville MD jail on b.s charges. About ten years ago I was driving through cumberland and got pulled over ( to this day dont know why iI was stopped, the cop was a major dick and searched me and my buddy and tore apart my car on the side of the road with no probable cause, to make a long story short he found a tiny bit of weed on my buddy. We BOTH were arrested, him for possesion of a small amount of weed and me for INTENT TO INHALE MJ, i swear to god INTENT TO INHALE MJ, i never heard of anything so crazy and clearly a violation of ones rights, but it happened, my car was impounded and I spent the night in rockville MD jail. At the time mike tyson was in the same jail for raping that one woman, I got released and came back to michigan and never went to court for it or anything, I got a letter years later saying for 300$ they would drop the bench warrant for me in MD so I did it. The other time I was napping in a parking lot after a grateful dead concert and was promptly arrested for vagrancy (basically nothing). I hate MD police, Ive never seen such over zelous law enforcement anywhere else and Ive been all over the U.S. F DA MD police depts!!!! And theres a huge federal prison in cumberland too, those guys LOVE locking people up around there.

DUDE (Terry C),

You had pot in the car and go to Grateful Dead concerts. I'm sure those cops had absolutely NO reason to hassle you. Let me guess, you had a Cheech & Chong bumper sticker too! That's a great story.

Kids,

This is what your brain is like on drugs.

Thanks for the laugh Dude. It's a good way for me to start my day.

Western MD has some awesome terrain I really hope its a good course......SOMEONE ADD IT THANKS!

I didn't get to check it out today but will definitely get over there this weekend. I can't imagine that it's even a full 9 holes. When I used to play softball there I just never noticed that much other land around. And as far as awesome terrain, this probably won't fit the bill. It's close to the flood plain of the Potomac River so it's not in the mountains.

Again, I'll definitely post when I know more.

DUDE (Terry C),

You had pot in the car and go to Grateful Dead concerts. I'm sure those cops had absolutely NO reason to hassle you. Let me guess, you had a Cheech & Chong bumper sticker too! That's a great story.

Kids,

This is what your brain is like on drugs.

Thanks for the laugh Dude. It's a good way for me to start my day.

No problem dude , glad to make you laugh at my expense.:clap: The ironic thing is ive really never gotten in very much trouble ever in my life but two of the worst times I was in MD and ive only ever been there twice?? kind of bad luck or MD is overly policed with over zelous cops or both, either way I wont even drive through MD to save mty life. I used to look like a hippy big time and I got targeted becouse of that, since I cut my hair and stopped wearing tie dyes about ten years ago I havent had a single problem, go figure right? Its a cat and mouse game, I blend in now, back then I didnt.

That really bites! What's kind of sadis that I can see the Federal Prison if I walk out back at work. And from where I saw the baskets, you can see the big State Prison. It's hard to get away from them.

I'm fortunate to have been able to avoid major run ins with the local law. And that seems crazy that you got pulled over in Cumberland and had to spend the night two hours away in Rockville? That's totally nuts.

My strangest run-in was in Georgetown, MD. I was driving home with two band-mates after playing a gig at the Grog and Tankard. When I played I was totally sober so I had nothing in me. I got pulled over just up the road from the club. The cop said that I had a headlight out and gave me a verbal warning... after seeing that I was obviously sober. Once we got onto the interstate my headlights seemed fine. So we pulled over at a rest stop. My headlights were totally fine on both low and high beams. So he was totally profiling us based on the fact that we were a bunch of long hair metal heads and he assumed that he had an easy catch.

MD is beautiful, all the hills and valleys are great to drive through, just avoid the police at all costs if your from out of state I guess. Its great to hear that you got a DG park so close to your house though, I bet its really nice and peaceful out there in the summer, have fun with it jim, thanks for listening to my rant its just negative things are the first thing I think of when I hear cumberland.:doh:

welcome to cumberland boy!!

jay-796057.JPG

The speed limit on the interstate through Cumberland drops from 65 to 45 as you drive down the steep hills (either direction, the city is in a valley). It is NOTORIOUS for police speed traps. Even if the police didn't radar you, i'm willing to bet they pulled him over for obvious traffic violations.

Not only that, but the shnawzberries taste like shnawzberries.

I looked half respectable even back then but my buddy in the passenger seat was a dready dirty hippy, the cop only had a small charge on him but then notified me I was "intending to inhale" my friends MJ and I got screwed on the whole deal. It was kinda like the super troopers were taking us down, lol :D

Well I was able to speak with a wonderful lady at the place where the baskets are. They have just two baskets and no official tees are set up. They're basically set up for local people to play on so that they can check out the game since they're visible from the road. She said they have kids playing once in a while and that I'm the 2nd person recently to ask questions. She said they've been thinking about possibly adding a couple more baskets sometime.

I'm going to check it out to see if I can come up with some decent safari holes to lay out and maybe some other pin locations in case they do get another basket or two. Basically, I'm kind of bummed that it's not an actual course. But it will still be nice to be able to go to a practice area and not have to take my own portables. She seemed interested in growing the sport in the area too so that can't hurt either.

Bummer that its only two holes for now, play it 9 times!! :D I guarantee people will take interest in it. Good luck jim, keep us posted.

Safari Holes

Just ran across a file that I made up of some safari holes I laid out around the two baskets I saw in Cresaptown, MD. They're on the East side of Route 220 between the County Jail and the big Prison. Location, location, location. ;)

If you're driving through on 220 you should be able to see them from the road pretty easily. They're right across from the county Vo-Tech center. The lady that I spoke with at the church said that it's OK to stop by and play around. Since most people might not have the time while driving by to lay out their own holes I thought that I'd post this to help a little, just in case anyone's interested. It might at least give you a couple ideas to work from.

Of course, if you want to use the soccer/softball field too, big arms, enjoy!

Thanks for making me think about this skeeter!

picture.php

Been Playing This Course!!

I recently ran into a friend of mine who was throwing some discs in Braddock Estates...

He showed me the baskets at Liberty Christian Fellowship and though the holes we have been playing are a bit different from what is pictured here, we've been having a great deal of fun!

I've convinced a buddy of mine to come out and throw discs there with me and he and I re-did the google map with pins and baskets, we've kept the first 9 holes the same as we were first shown them and the other day we added 9 more holes, so even though it is a small area with only two baskets you can now do a full 18 holes at it (as long as Calvary Christian Acadamy's soccer team isn't practicing or having a game).

We've only been playing disc golf for a little under a month and we've each got 8 discs (so we can have some to give friends who we are trying to convert). I've met the pastor of LCF and his wife a couple of times and they've seemed really supportive of us being there and throwing discs.

I doubt we can count it as a legit course but if anyone in the Cumberland/Frostburg area wants a place to throw but doesn't want to drive for 45 minutes or more this is a great place to practice!

New Map

Here is the new map that we made of our "18 hole course"

The Yellow pins tee-off and go to the Yellow Basket
The Red pins tee-off and go to the Red Basket

Hole 15 is a dog-leg right and the grass past the road is out of bounds!

We play them in numerical order.

Attachments

• Liberty.jpg
    Liberty.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 24
Beej... nice to see someone else from the area getting into disc golf. Hopefully we'll have enough of a presence soon to get an actual course installed in Cumberland. I'm sure that we'll be in touch!

And thanks for the additional layout ideas!

Latest posts