• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cheap Tee signs

underpar24

Par Member
i am looking for some nice but cheap Tee Signs. My Home course's tee Signs are pretty much beat. hard to even call them signs. I would like to find some cheap signs or a cheap way to make my own. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. i am doing this to make the course nicer. thank you.

The cheapest way would be to cut some signs out of plywood. Another thought is this:

I use to make my own signs for my business to put on the side of the road. The material that they use for voting signs, you see on the side of the road at election time, is called "coreaplast". There is a place in Houston, just east of the Astros Stadium called "Reese Supply Co." They sell a 4ft X 8ft sheet of coreaplast for about $8. If you cut that up into small signs, you might beable to get 15 signs out of one sheet, depending on the size of the sign you want to make. I use to be about to get 8 signs out of one sheet.

You can get stick on vinyl numbers and letters in a pack, at Office Depot for about $3 , depending on the size that you want. If you go this route, for 18 signs, you might be looking at about $5 a sign. Pm me if you need some more advice, or call me. I believe you have my number since we have played together in the past.

That sounds decent midnight, I want to make sure that they look nice though. i don't want to go out there and throw up some signs that look like junk. But i do like the price you came up with. i have an idea in my head. I will tell you want I'm thinking sometime when we play a round. Then we can compare what one you think would be better. i do know that i am going to get new 4x4s to put in as the sign post. My idea is going to take me longer to do but i think it should look better. my idea will prolly come out to like 25 or 30 a sign. but will also take alot of hours doing it.

That sounds decent midnight, I want to make sure that they look nice though. i don't want to go out there and throw up some signs that look like junk. But i do like the price you came up with. i have an idea in my head. I will tell you want I'm thinking sometime when we play a round. Then we can compare what one you think would be better. i do know that i am going to get new 4x4s to put in as the sign post. My idea is going to take me longer to do but i think it should look better. my idea will prolly come out to like 25 or 30 a sign. but will also take alot of hours doing it.

I would see if you can hold a tournament to raise money for the signs. Don't take that out of your pocket, inless you just have money to burn.

Make some simple ones up on your computer, then print and laminate them. They can be all color this way, and laminating then will keep them free of moisture, but obviously not immune to vandals/idiots. Anchor the signs to something sturdy, and proceed from there. Its not a perfect solution, but inexpensive and can turn out half-way decent at the very least.

Here's a fast sign I did in about 10 minutes. Its not great but you get the idea. Anyway, hope this helps.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac348/bhoovmh1/hole7.png?t=1258426213

i am looking for some nice but cheap Tee Signs. My Home course's tee Signs are pretty much beat. hard to even call them signs. I would like to find some cheap signs or a cheap way to make my own. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. i am doing this to make the course nicer. thank you.
Which course?

Which course?

Well Eric i was just thinking about working on something for Angies Moffitt. I was going to get one done and post it on HFDS.com and see if anyone had a problem with it. It is my home course and i just want to make it look nicer. But i already have an idea that is will be nice and durable. I will post my example on HFDS when i get done with one just to see if people think it would be ok for me to make more and put them up.

What do you consider cheap?

At Richmond Hill the used logs cut on a 45 with the hole design and distance painted on... this keeps them feeling rustic... and free! However, not very much info or detail is displayed on them... and no sponsor.

If you go the route of Laminate... the Laminate will protect them, but if you staple through the Laminate moisture will eventually win and you will need to do them again. Which is cheap enough.

For $1000 you can make some incredible tee-signs that are extremely durable. Not so cheap... but, professional looking and easy to convince sponsors to pay money to help with the funding.
DSCJNKY

yeah 1000 is going to work for me. lol. i was planning on just doing this myself as my way of helping out with my homecourse. i was thinking i was going to make my own custom signs. like 10" wide by 13" tall. and i can do the map, hole#, distance, and par. then i can do my own use poly over it. i was planning on laying the poly pretty thick in order to make sure they last. i am going to get the wood today. i am just going to work on one first and see what the houston locals think about it before i decide to make 18 of them.

I just played Bowers Park in Alabama and I noticed its tee signs. They were very simple yet very effective. essentially they painted a cut piece of plywood a base color of red with a white area in the middle and used a sharpie to write in pin placements, obstacles and distances. They were simple enough but just as informative and effective as the most elaborate, computer-generated signs as I've seen. I was actually pretty impressed with them. Food for thought! done well with a FREAKIN SHARPIE!!!!!!

Well Eric i was just thinking about working on something for Angies Moffitt.

HPRD is pretty picky about what goes into their parks. I would recommend bringing a sample of what you're talking about to the next HFDS monthly meeting (details on the HFDS forum). Or like you said, first pass do a mockup and post it on the HFDS forum to see what type of response you get.

Carve a crude map into a 4x4 post. If the map changes you can bolt a new carving over the orig.

I was thinking along the same lines, but I was thinking of using a woodburning kit, if you have one. This would be a nice, rustic, durable, creative way to add signs to your course. Or maybe you could find a local artist who would be willing to work for a pittance for the chance to get his or her artwork out in public? There are some REALLY creative people out there.

HPRD is pretty picky about what goes into their parks. I would recommend bringing a sample of what you're talking about to the next HFDS monthly meeting (details on the HFDS forum). Or like you said, first pass do a mockup and post it on the HFDS forum to see what type of response you get.

I am going to start working on the first run sign tonight. It is going to take me a bit, i need time to put a good amount of poly on it. But I should hopefully have a phote of it on HFDS in a week or so.

Last edited:
tee signs are the low poin t of a lot of courses around SLC ... would love it if they were redone with more detail. Some courses have them but they are outdated and falling apart.

The signs that i want to replace are a 4x4 that are about 1 to 2 feet above the ground and have the hole number and sometimes the distance. They just don't look good. i think it would be nice to have some with a map on them.

i think it would be nice to have some with a map on them.
But Moffitt is probably the easiest 18 hole course in the city to navigate/play. There are only two on which you can't easily see the basket from the tee box, and those two are easily seen if you walk up 30'.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from course maintenance/improvements, but trying to give you a heads up that some people may not find the maps necessary. As such you might not get the kind of support that you would if you were say... trying to install real tee pads (rubber, concrete, etc.) out there.

true, but i am not asking for money or anything. I just want to put them up because they look good. i know the course is easy to navigate but it is my home course and i think it would look better. And yes the tee pads would be huge but they cost alot and i thought that people have already tried to work on getting cement tee pads but it was shot down by the Parks and Rec. guys.

i will say that you did take the wind out of my sails though. you have a real good point and if i even ask to put them up there alot of the locals that play there are going to be like "why?"

I say the art route is a safe bet. Local artist or even a high school charity project. Just contact the local art teacher- assuming the kids around there are creative.

Latest posts