• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Circle Defined ...

tomkat

Bogey Member
Just to clarify for myself, when I read this:

The Circle – This is what helps defines a true disc golf putt. If a player is throwing his/her disc at the basket with in a 10 Meter or 30 Ft circle of the basket, they must follow an additional set of putting rules defined by the PDGA. Basically if you're in the circle, your disc has to come to rest in the basket before any part of your body touches past the mini marker towards the basket. Failure to do so can lead to a "falling putt" penalty stroke.

... it creates a bit of confusion, as I was sure that the 'Circle' was considered 30' out in any direction ... but, to my reading, a 30' Ft circle of the basket could be read as 15' feet out, as in the radius of a 30' circle ... where the 'Circle' is actually a 60' circle, with the 30' radius, correct??

BTW, isn't 10 meters actually closer to 33 feet?

The official measurement is 10 meters. Lazy Americans who need both imperial measurement and a number that ends in a zero call it 30 feet. Its about 32' 9 3/4" if you absolutely need to mark it off with a tape measure that has feet and inches.

Inside this circle, you must establish balance after you release your disc before you move ahead of your lie. What may happen to your disc after you release it is irrelevant.

FWIW, a lot of us still call 35'-50' shots (and perhaps longer) putts as from that distance we're primarily trying to go for it as opposed to laying up. We're just not bound by the rules to establish balance outside 10 meters.

... it creates a bit of confusion, as I was sure that the 'Circle' was considered 30' out in any direction ... but, to my reading, a 30' Ft circle of the basket could be read as 15' feet out, as in the radius of a 30' circle ... where the 'Circle' is actually a 60' circle, with the 30' radius, correct??

The latter is correct, except for not using meters. The rule doesn't actually mention a "circle". It says if your lie is within 10 meters of the target, special rules apply. So it's a 10-meter radius, 20-meter diameter (about 65.5 feet).

Basically if you're in the circle, your disc has to come to rest in the basket before any part of your body touches past the mini marker towards the basket. Failure to do so can lead to a "falling putt" penalty stroke.

Incorrect. You have to demonstrate balance before touching the surface past the lie. It has nothing to do with the disc coming to rest.

FWIW, a lot of us still call 35'-50' shots (and perhaps longer) putts as from that distance we're primarily trying to go for it as opposed to laying up. We're just not bound by the rules to establish balance outside 10 meters.
Yes, putting to me is just a shot that I'm literally trying to put into the basket versus one that I'm just trying to end up with a favorable lie. Distance doesn't make the putt a putt.

Just to clarify for myself, when I read this:
My first question would be where are you reading that?
The PDGA rules are specific and hard to misinterpret:

Putting: Any throw from within 10 meters of the target, as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the target, is a putt. Supporting point contact closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc after the disc has been released is a stance violation. The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the target.

While I don't agree with it, I've had several people tell me that the disc must come to rest before you can go past your marker disc. My interpretation is that you can't pass the marker until you "release" the disc. It makes no difference to me either way though. If the shot is within 150' or so, I'll be standing still anyway. "Jump" putts or "Walking" putts seem silly to me...

Well, I would say the center pole and here's why...
Putting: Any throw from within 10 meters of the target, as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the target, is a putt.

While I don't agree with it, I've had several people tell me that the disc must come to rest before you can go past your marker disc. My interpretation is that you can't pass the marker until you "release" the disc. It makes no difference to me either way though. If the shot is within 150' or so, I'll be standing still anyway. "Jump" putts or "Walking" putts seem silly to me...

The rule is the rule, regardless of what you think, interpret, or heard from someone else. You cannot advance past your lie inside of 10 meters until you demos rate full control of balance.

There is nothing in the rules about the disc coming to rest. All it says is that you have to demonstrate balance (when putting inside the circle). Whoever told you that is full of hooey. Ask them to show you the paragraph in the pdga rule book.

To the OP: you might try reading the actual PDGA rulebook. It's not hard to understand, and is a lot more simple then what you posted here

My first question would be where are you reading that?
The PDGA rules are specific and hard to misinterpret:

Putting: Any throw from within 10 meters of the target, as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the target, is a putt. Supporting point contact closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc after the disc has been released is a stance violation. The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the target.

Todd, I copy and pasted from this site:

http://www.discgolf.com/disc-golf-education-development/disc-golf-terminology/

To all who responded, thank you for taking the time to reply!!

To all who responded, thank you for taking the time to reply!!

That's what the newbie section is for!

My next advice: don't trust that page at discgolf.com. There are a number of questionable definitions there.

There is nothing in the rules about the disc coming to rest. All it says is that you have to demonstrate balance (when putting inside the circle). Whoever told you that is full of hooey. Ask them to show you the paragraph in the pdga rule book.

That's my usual response, "show me the rule". Sadly, most of the local events here are run by people who aren't very organized and rarely have a rule book handy. To me, the rule is pretty clear - stand behind the marker until you let go of the disc. The portion that jams most people up is "The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the target." What is full control of balance? blah, blah, blah...Just stand still and putt.

My next advice: don't trust that page at discgolf.com. There are a number of questionable definitions there.

I was going to say something similar. While DGA gets kudos for being the granddaddy of the sport, some terms should be more accurately defined. In particular, hyzer and anhyzer more accurately refer to the release angle of the disc, while turn and fade refer better to the flight path. Watch a pro snap a disc up from a hyzer release with a ton of spin, so that the disc literally turns over in flight before fading back. It's a beautiful and mesmerizing shot that can really carve a low flat line through a wooded lane. :thmbup:

...but we were talking about putting in the circle. Sorry. :p

I was going to say something similar. While DGA gets kudos for being the granddaddy of the sport, some terms should be more accurately defined. In particular, hyzer and anhyzer more accurately refer to the release angle of the disc, while turn and fade refer better to the flight path. Watch a pro snap a disc up from a hyzer release with a ton of spin, so that the disc literally turns over in flight before fading back. It's a beautiful and mesmerizing shot that can really carve a low flat line through a wooded lane. :thmbup:

...but we were talking about putting in the circle. Sorry. :p

Wow, and that is from the company that "invented" disc golf. They need to update that website. That page is a travesty. No wonder people think "coming to rest" is a real rule they read it on "The Home of disc golf".

Front page of DGA site also says they have number one selling basket. Someone posted Inova has been selling more targets than DGA for years.
Also, they aren't baskets, they are targets!:wall: So much fail.

The Innova website is getting out of date too. The team pages haven't been updated forever. But at least they don't call it a basket!

Front page of DGA site also says they have number one selling basket. Someone posted Inova has been selling more targets than DGA for years.

These two claims don't have to be contradictory. Innova has one type of permanent target (Discatcher). DGA sells four different models of permanent target (Mach II, Mach III, Mach V, Mach X). The Discatcher might out sell any one of those individual models but it's likely DGA sells more targets overall. DGA has also been in the target business for a hell of a lot longer than Innova, so they also can likely claim to have sold more targets all-time.

I am the one that gathered those stats. All the different DGA models were included in the DGA total.

Innova has been number 1 in course sales since 2007 - either by amount sold each year or by the number of courses in the ground.

Just to update

The Innova DISCatcher Target is still the most popular disc golf target in the world. The Innova DISCatcher is chosen more than any other brand for new course installations.

As of 12-5-2014 using the DGCR Database:

There are currently 6548 courses worldwide and 2112 have DISCatcher targets or 32.3%. DGA holds second place with 1797 courses.

The Innova DISCatcher target remains the top selling target for new course installations. Of the 3453 courses installed between 2007 and 2014, 1377 (or 39.9%) used Innova DISCatcher brand targets.

More annual course target data by year*:

2014 337 new courses, 132 DISCatcher ( 39.2 %)
2013 439 courses, 171 DISCatcher (39.0%)
2012 473 courses, 190 DISCatcher (40.2%)
2011 464 courses, 183 DISCatcher (39.4%)
2010 426 courses, 171 DISCatcher (40.1%)
2009 440 courses, 191 DISCatcher (43.4%)
2008 364 courses, 151 DISCatcher (41.5%)
2007 354 courses, 139 DISCatcher (39.3%)

(*Original data from DGCR 6/6/13 updated 12/5/14)