• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold Weather Disc Golf

I only do when I need to get them to temp otherwise they live in my house. I've heard too many stories of peoples cars being broken into just to have their discs stolen.

Exactly, I've heard this sooo much in the past few years. It actually happened to me about 14 years ago. I had my discs in a nice book/laptop bag in my jeep and someone actually broke the window and took it with some other stuff. I'm nearly certain the person threw all my discs disappointedly in a dumpster, as they were probably hoping for a computer.

I find it interesting how differently people's bodies react to the cold. Ru4 in shorts and a vest, when I need arms covered and pants

It is interesting. I am more like Ru4, my arms and legs almost never get cold as long as my hands and feet are warm and dry. So for me the vest works great to keep my core warm and my are free of extra material. Usually vest is 2nd to last layer under a thin windbreaker or warmer sweatshirt pullover if needed.

I like the balaclava as well more for my neck and ears than my face. Its like adding a layer of clothing just by keeping wind/snow off your neck. Also easy to store if you warm up and need to shed it. Mostly used on cold, windy days with no sun.

Prefer glove on non-throwing hand and a quality mitten on the throwing hand. Easy on/off as I cant throw with a glove on so I need to keep my hand warm and dry between throws. Nice pair of gore-tex boots keep me nice and dry so socks I focus on thick and comfy, with a 2nd pair if needed.

And as others have mentioned, shovel the tee pads whenever possible. If you can't then please dont use them until somebody shovels them, throw from left/right/behind pads until they get cleaned up. Frozen footprints are the worst and such a chore to remove, don't be that person.

Besides my Grogu hat (see my earlier post if you haven't already).....if it is really cold, I will wear a Friction Glove on my throwing hand. Only bad part about it is that I can't use my phone with it on. I leave my other hand bare so I can use my phone, but I'm thinking about a fingerless glove for my non-throwing hand on really cold days.

((I do practice with my Friction Glove when the weather starts getting cold....that way when I do have to wear it, I'm familiar with how it changes my grip/throw)).

Besides my Grogu hat (see my earlier post if you haven't already).....if it is really cold, I will wear a Friction Glove on my throwing hand. Only bad part about it is that I can't use my phone with it on. I leave my other hand bare so I can use my phone, but I'm thinking about a fingerless glove for my non-throwing hand on really cold days.

((I do practice with my Friction Glove when the weather starts getting cold....that way when I do have to wear it, I'm familiar with how it changes my grip/throw)).

They make gloves where you can still use your touchscreen on your phone now.

I always leave my discs in my car, I just assume most do? Either way I have a few Gstar discs in my bag now that are first run and have hit hundreds of trees in Michigan in the middle of winter. Still not a single one has cracked or taco'd on me yet.

Has anyone broke a gstar disc in winter? Is that even possible?

+1 leave them at home unless I'm on my way to play. Out of fear of theft.

It seems like someone in the local group is posting about having their bag stolen from their car every few weeks.

Yep, but not the Friction Gloves and, so far, those are the best I've found for keeping my hands warm and gripping discs.

I meant for your opposite hand. Seems really weird to me to wear a glove on your throwing hand in the freezing cold, but not your opposite hand.

I find it interesting how differently people's bodies react to the cold. Ru4 in shorts and a vest, when I need arms covered and pants

Nick P. And JasonC wearing a balaclava, while I'm happy with a beanie.

I have a balaclava, but I simply don't need that much warmth while playing DG. About the only time I've worn it is for attending football in truly frigid conditions. I think the difference in activity level has something to do with it.

A fleece beanie works for me into the low 20's, and I have a very warm insulated knit beanie for colder than that (my head actually starts to sweat if I wear it in the 20's).

My balaclava is several years old...nice and broken in. I usually adjust it mid-round and wear it as a hat instead of covering my entire head/face after I'm warmed up on the course. :thmbup:

I prefer the football style hand warming pouch to gloves. Don't have take 'em on and off constantly and it keeps the hands warm & dry. Under Armour is the best imho, used with the air activated handwarmers in the pouch, but there is a newer company with a more expensive one with the hand warming device built in. See below + links.

Under Armour Hand-warming Pouch
G-Tech Hand-warming Pouch

Attachments

• UNder Armour hand warming pouch.jpg
    UNder Armour hand warming pouch.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 13
  • G-Tech hand warming pouch.jpg
    G-Tech hand warming pouch.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 10
+1 leave them at home unless I'm on my way to play. Out of fear of theft.

It seems like someone in the local group is posting about having their bag stolen from their car every few weeks.

I have heard that a majority of the time things are stolen from cars, they never break windows because too much noise. Almost always its people searching for unlocked car doors and most cars have open trunk buttons inside the car too. They'll just go through neighborhoods of cars pulling on handles until one pops open. People generally don't mention that in social media posts because they feel foolish for leaving their car unlocked/victim shaming.

Not in every case, but in a lot of them. So lock your doors.

I have heard that a majority of the time things are stolen from cars, they never break windows because too much noise. Almost always its people searching for unlocked car doors and most cars have open trunk buttons inside the car too. They'll just go through neighborhoods of cars pulling on handles until one pops open. People generally don't mention that in social media posts because they feel foolish for leaving their car unlocked/victim shaming.

Not in every case, but in a lot of them. So lock your doors.

I've heard the same.

I've also had a window smashed multiple times. Heck, I've had my window smashed at the disc golf course. Somebody had their window smashed during local dubs last Sunday.

I've heard the same.

I've also had a window smashed multiple times. Heck, I've had my window smashed at the disc golf course. Somebody had their window smashed during local dubs last Sunday.

Yeah, but do windows smash easier in sub-freezing temps... :rolleyes:

How's R-pro plastic for putting in cold weather? Or G Star for that matter? I've broken DX before and I've heard KC Pro can get brittle.

GStar works really well in the cold from what I can tell.

I have a GStar Gazelle that is floppy as heck during the summer but when I've been using it lately, it has been more stiff and feels perfect for this kind of weather. Although, you can pretty much throw most GStar discs all year around. They just tend to be grippier plastic.

How's R-pro plastic for putting in cold weather? Or G Star for that matter? I've broken DX before and I've heard KC Pro can get brittle.

R-Pro firms up nicely as it gets colder out. I picked up a pair of JK Aviars for my winter putting duties this year, solely because trying to find Soft Lunas is expensive.

Champion plastic is out. Most star plastic is out. I'll probably drop the Neo Plastic for cold season as well.
G-star, R-Pro, Soft Exo, and Z-flx.
Towels! Hand-Warmers. Layers.

Made some winter golf investments last week. 6 UnderArmor, ColdGear, long sleeve, mock turtle neck, base layer, compression shirts. 2 light weight, merino wool, long sleeve, crew neck shirts. Two stretchy, button waisted, zip fly, rip resistant, long pants, with belt loops. A new pair of Keen's Men's Targhee III Waterproof Mid boots.

Yet to go:

Box of handwarmers

Half a dozen wool gloves (I get these from the Army Surplus store in town. Great gloves. Pretty thin, but the wool is a terrific choice and they come in sizes)

A fleece vest. (I have looked at REI. These are hard to find. The cute little puffy vests seem to be all the rage. Disc golf in Michigan is played in the woods. I would tear these pretty vests up.)

Some merino wool based hiking socks. A couple different weights and blends for differing weather. (I got a 350.00 Amazon gift card, from work, for retiring....let's go)