• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold Weather Disc Golf

But if there is snow on the ground, keep in mind that snow does not stick to cold discs so much.
Very true. Sadly we don't get much snow some seasons, like this one so far. I play with hand warmers but no gloves, so warmer discs are a bit tackier and slip off less. Grip is just better for me. YMMV.

Reiterating much of what others have said. Some of these are more a preference than fact but...

Socks: Wool beats cotton, hands down.
Leave discs outside for a few hours before if you can - snow sticks to warm discs.

Layers for sure. Invest in a quality, lightweight, warm, base layer. Really make a difference. A base layer, then lightweight fleece covered up with a hoodie keeps me warm down to the upper 20's if its not too windy. Below that, I add a good softshell windbreaker as a 4th layer.

Avoid cotton next to your skin. Once you get going, you can start to sweat even in single digit temps, especially on hilly courses with a reasonably heavy backpack. Once cotton starts to absorb sweat, you'll have wet clothing on next to you with no air circulation because of outer layers - uncomfortable to say the least.

I keep hand warmers in the big pocket on the front of my hoodie. I prefer the large Hot Hands Super Warmers, to their regular dual pack hand warmers. One of the larger size generates more heat stays warm longer than a two of the small ones, and they stay in my hoodie pocket much better.

Gloves vs. mittens, vs flip-top gloves vs bare hands... really is a matter of personal; preference, each with pros/cons.
Tried all of those. I 've found that super cheap (like $1 pair), knit poly gloves work for me. The kind of crap you might see on an end cap at Target or Walmart, at a convenience store, or even at a dollar store. I'm sure some folks would hate playing with them, but not me. I find I get good grip and still have a decent "feel" for driving and putting, but I think I'm probably in the minority there. I never have to take them off during a round, which is convenient.

For deep snow, I put my bag in one of those cheap, plastic, sleds for kids, and pull it behind me. Easier than taking my backpack on/off repeatedly, and the resulting snow on my bag, and subsequently my clothing.

I'm a fan of ribbons when there's more than a couple of inches of snow - again preferences vary greatly on on that.

Last edited:
you seriously dont wear pants until its below 0
It is part of my strategy to maintain my 270 driving distance throughout the year. I wear legging (long johns) when it is below freezing. I honestly don't get cold legs. As long as I can keep my core warm things are fine.

I've seen Ru4 wear shorts in temps where I never would. And an outer vest to keep my core warm doesn't work for me because I'm useless once my arms get cold.

Some of these (like avoiding cotton next to your skin) are pretty universal.
Others, like gloves/mittens/bare hands, vest/jacket, head coverings, what temp you stop wearing shorts... to each their own.

All of us are a bit different. Took me a while to figure out what works best for me.

is there a bit of a lag period when seasons shift to winter or you acclimate just fine

Well, we had a pretty warm Dec. I went out for the first time in a couple weeks today....it was dang cold. (around freezing). But, once playing I was fine. Once I get walking, I cold never really gets to me. So, I guess there is some acclimation needed.

you seriously dont wear pants until its below 0

He doesn't, I have seen this.

I'll just reiterate what others have said plus I'm a big believer in using a head mask/Balaclava. It's equivalent to having an extra layer on but the bonus is that it doesn't interfere with your body movements and protects your face from sun and wind burn.

Snow pants are also awesome. No need for multiple layers of pants if you get a good pair like Columbia or Patagonia or something along those lines. I can play in just those in frigid temps, and for me they're a lot more comfy than having layers of pants on, especially once they get broken in. Very nice, expect to pay at least 100 bucks but they'll last a lifetime.

And beat in G star plastic cannot be beat in the cold.

Last edited:
As a general rule avoid wearing cotton. Materials that retain moisture are going to make you miserable once you get a little snow on you, or once you start sweating a bit.

Feet: wool hiking socks and goretex shoes.
Legs: long johns under non-cotton sweatpants
Torso: layers work far better than a bulky, heavy coat
Face: if below 0* F, I'll wear a balaclava
Head: Winter hat (duh)
Hands: Winter glove on non-throwing hand, hand warmer in pocket of throwing hand
Gear: Extra towels
Discs: I add an extra base plastic disc or two for snowy rounds. Once the towels are all wet, base plastic is the only thing I can grip. Granted, there is an increased risk of a base plastic disc shattering in the cold, so only bag DX discs that you're OK with if they don't make it home.

And an outer vest to keep my core warm doesn't work for me because I'm useless once my arms get cold.

I made this discovery last winter. Bought a puffer vest for days when it was a bit too warm for a coat. Turns out that the two activities I bought it for (disc golf and mountain biking) are both horrible once your arms get cold. It's now in the stage of purchase regret where it sits in the closet for two years, because I can't bring myself to donate an item that I so recently purchased. But the odss of that puffer vest getting any real use are pretty much 0%.

Ribbons on discs with a type of tape, I've mentioned here before, that holds up really well in sub zero temps. (Can't remember the name. Search it yourself.)
It may only be just a small amount of snow on the ground, but it only takes a small amount for a disc to hide under.
"Oh, I don't need to use ribbons."
Famous. Last. Words.

It is part of my strategy to maintain my 270 driving distance throughout the year. I wear legging (long johns) when it is below freezing. I honestly don't get cold legs. As long as I can keep my core warm things are fine.

I also wear shorts with the temp down to the mid 30's. Colder, I will pull on some wind pants for a couple holes. I wear a hinged knee brace when i play that occasionally needs to be adjusted during the round. That is much easier to do with shorts than with pants.

I bagged three courses this past Saturday morning with temps below freezing.

-Wool cover ski hat over the ears
-A glove on non-throwing hand, throwing hand in hoodie pocket.
-A t-shirt with an oversize hoodie, I like keeping my arms loose. If temp is about mid-20's t-shirt, light weight loose hoodie, and a loose hoodie on top. Haven't worn the lightweight hoodie in 2 years.
-Thick sweatpants over an underwear that stretches down to top of knee keeps the legs loose.
-wool socks wearing light weight waterproof hiking boots. The boots have an interlining that keeps my feet dry.

I walk and play briskly so its not hard to stay warm. But getting in and out of the car three times sucked. I started getting warm and had to get myself out there again.

The only other thought is the ravine course's I like to play. Last week at Waller Mill in Williamsburg, Va temp below freezing two rounds. After the third hole I start sweating every time and my third season playing in the winter there, I'm ready to take the hoodie and hat off, but I know better. As soon as I sit in the car, I get the chills every time. In the summer at Waller Mill its an 8-pound weight loss two rounds drinking water and snacks, just to give you an idea of the terrain. I weighed before the round and after last July.

Def get your discs acclimated to the temps you will be playing. This is just good advice in general. Get your discs to the same temp that you will be playing in. If in the winter, with snow, then it will keep the snow from sticking to your discs and if you are playing in the hot then it will make it so your discs do change feeling throughout the round. Toss your discs in your car for a few hours ahead of the round or in a cold/hot room in the house.

Have a specific winter bag. I have changed out my entire bag for every winter because I have cracked too many of my A-Team discs. Because of this I use the winter for tested discs out and getting discs beat up.

If you're playing in the snow/ice and on rubber/natural tees then try getting some yak-traks.

Remove any disc that you are not prepared to replace. I know its been mentioned many times; however, I still use some white discs in snow conditions. This is only when the discs will stay on top of the white stuff. First broken disc of the year was my trusted white 12x aviar, hit a tree and exploded.

If you look at my signature, you will notice I don't play in the winter anymore. But I did lay alt during my first 20+ years of playing. From my experience, gators (the kind for your lower leg, not the disc) are a must if playing in deep snow, they keep your pants from getting wet and freezing if not in snow pants.

From the top down....
Balaclava for the head
1 Long sleeve moisture wicking base layer
1 more short sleeve shirt but will switch to long sleeves for less than 0 degree days.
1 warm hoodie
Waterproof/windproof gloves (I prefer Outdoor Reasearch)
1 hand muff with rechargeable hand warmer
Long underwear
1 pair of ski/snowboard socks
1 pair of water/wind resistant pants
1 pair of goretex gaiters (I prefer Outdoor Reasearch)
1 pair of winter boots (currently using Vasque goretex)

I always keep extra rechargeable hand warmers and towels in the bag. Usually leave the bag outside or in the trunk because snow won't stick to cold discs.

Champ/Star/ESP/Z or similar plastic preferred. Just saw a buddy smash an old SE TL into a tree on Saturday. He found most of it in the fairway.

Find warm clothing that doesn't hinder your throwing motion. Having three or four layers on with a loose fitting rain shell/wind breaker works best for me. I can easily take off layers or the rain shell if not needed.

I prefer three layers up top, two for the legs, waterproof footwear and wool socks, scarf or gaiter, and a good hat that has full ear coverage. Other musts for me in the cold are a few hot hands warmers for pockets, and I like to throw a rechargeable warmer in an inner pocket of one of the top layers too for added warmth that can always be turned off or down as needed.

I find it interesting how differently people's bodies react to the cold. Ru4 in shorts and a vest, when I need arms covered and pants

Nick P. And JasonC wearing a balaclava, while I'm happy with a beanie.

I have a balaclava, but I simply don't need that much warmth while playing DG. About the only time I've worn it is for attending football in truly frigid conditions. I think the difference in activity level has something to do with it.

A fleece beanie works for me into the low 20's, and I have a very warm insulated knit beanie for colder than that (my head actually starts to sweat if I wear it in the 20's).

My arms and hands are what get cold on me.

Gotta be single digits or very windy before I need a base layer/long johns beneath my pants, and with the right boots, wool socks are all I need. Literally never remember my feet ever feeling cold as long as they're dry.

I usually want to shed a layer toward the end of a round, especially on courses with a bunch of elevation change.

Staying dry is key. Once things get damp, misery is sure to follow.

A few have mentioned changing socks between rounds. That can really help. I've even changed base layers on some of my multi-round days around Xmas - New Year's.

Def get your discs acclimated to the temps you will be playing. This is just good advice in general. Get your discs to the same temp that you will be playing in. If in the winter, with snow, then it will keep the snow from sticking to your discs and if you are playing in the hot then it will make it so your discs do change feeling throughout the round. Toss your discs in your car for a few hours ahead of the round or in a cold/hot room in the house.

Have a specific winter bag. I have changed out my entire bag for every winter because I have cracked too many of my A-Team discs. Because of this I use the winter for tested discs out and getting discs beat up.

If you're playing in the snow/ice and on rubber/natural tees then try getting some yak-traks.

I always leave my discs in my car, I just assume most do? Either way I have a few Gstar discs in my bag now that are first run and have hit hundreds of trees in Michigan in the middle of winter. Still not a single one has cracked or taco'd on me yet.

Has anyone broke a gstar disc in winter? Is that even possible?

Nick P. And JasonC wearing a balaclava, while I'm happy with a beanie.

I am notoriously overdressed in all conditions. Warm body equals warm hands and muscles means better disc golf. Most of my gear is super old and broken in and comfy at this point. I've gotten accustomed to it.

I always leave my discs in my car, I just assume most do?
But folks who keep their car in a garage, may still may need to set discs outside for a while (or play a few holes) before snow won't stick to them.

My garage is isn't "heated," per SE, but it never gets cold enough that snow won't stick to discs.